Twins catcher thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Twins catcher thread

Post by Monster »

Suzuki was put on waivers and he is also a free agent. If he doesn't fall off a cliff the last chunk of the season his ability to hit looks pretty good. I don't know what the FA catchers look like this year but my guess is it's not that spectacular. There are only so many good ones to begin with and only so many get to FA. If Kurl could throw out runners at a higher rate I bet he would be getting a really healthy check and I bet he gets a decent paycheck anyway.

Does anyone have any other ideas of FA catchers?

I'm a bit interested in seeing what Centeno can do both defensively and with his bat. The scouting report from when he came up to help the Brewwrs last year says he is a terrific defensive catcher but struggles with balls in the dirt. Ok Maybe that's his issue. Plenty of guys have their flaws.

Now 122 ABs this year is a pretty small sample but let's for fun project that by going with some rough stats by 4x. 28 doubles 4 triples 8 hrs and 68 RBIs with 104 strikeouts. That's not too bad especially if he can gun down guys in the running game. Could he be part of the answer at catcher? Idk but the biggest flaw of him in the scouting report was lack of power and he has shown some decent power in limited action this year so there may be enough there for at least a backup catcher if he is above average overall defensively.

The young guys...other than reading some scouting reports and what they are doing in the minors by their box scores idk. I haven't given up on Murphy yet either.

To me catcher seems like the position this team really doesn't have an answer for at this point and I don't see a big time player waiting isn't he wings although they have some solid prospects. Other than questions about top end pitching I think it's the biggest question for this team if they want to make a big jump. They for sure don't have to get an all star at that position but it would be nice to get someone that's a bit better overall than Kurt and is younger.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Twins catcher thread

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

It's definitely a problem are for the Twins, monster. I also haven't given up on Murphy, but he's still only hitting .214 at Rochester with only 2 HRs. and the sample size is getting more significant. And there aren't really any other good options in the minors. The onle free agent name I have heard they are interested in is ex-Twin Wilson Ramos who might be the best overall catcher in the league this year. He's going to be expensive and has had injury issues in the past, but he would be a great addition.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:It's definitely a problem are for the Twins, monster. I also haven't given up on Murphy, but he's still only hitting .214 at Rochester with only 2 HRs. and the sample size is getting more significant. And there aren't really any other good options in the minors. The onle free agent name I have heard they are interested in is ex-Twin Wilson Ramos who might be the best overall catcher in the league this year. He's going to be expensive and has had injury issues in the past, but he would be a great addition.

Which is why like half the league is going to want him.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

My feeling is that the reason MIN hasn't resigned Suzuki is a combination of him wanting something long term and MIN's feeling that they can leave Spring training with Hicks/Garver as the C's.

If it ends up being Hicks/Garver, then there is little chance MIN makes the playoffs in '17. The last team to make the playoffs with a rookie catching the majority of the innings is DET/Nokes in '87.

But I will say that I'm am much more comfortable with the "C" situation than I was 6 months ago.
Monster

Post by Monster »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:My feeling is that the reason MIN hasn't resigned Suzuki is a combination of him wanting something long term and MIN's feeling that they can leave Spring training with Hicks/Garver as the C's.

If it ends up being Hicks/Garver, then there is little chance MIN makes the playoffs in '17. The last team to make the playoffs with a rookie catching the majority of the innings is DET/Nokes in '87.

But I will say that I'm am much more comfortable with the "C" situation than I was 6 months ago.

Jason are you referring to John Hicks? If so he was claimed by the Tigers earlier this year when the Twins took him off the 40 man. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't looked it up a while ago when you kept mentioning Hick the catcher.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

monsterpile wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:My feeling is that the reason MIN hasn't resigned Suzuki is a combination of him wanting something long term and MIN's feeling that they can leave Spring training with Hicks/Garver as the C's.

Jason are you referring to John Hicks? If so he was claimed by the Tigers earlier this year when the Twins took him off the 40 man. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't looked it up a while ago when you kept mentioning Hick the catcher.

Well, that was embarrassing.

So the Twins should really go ahead and resign Suzuki and go with Suzuki/Garver. Not a Centeno fan.