2022 off season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: 2022 off season

Post by Monster »

Jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Ok first of all I didn't think the Twins were gonna end up with Correa this offseason. I thought they did have a chance to get him if he really did want to come back to MN more than going somewhere else. That may have been the case but clearly the Giants which are a pretty good spot too offered up something way more. Still kinda sucks though and I felt it a bit when he signed elsewhere.

I'm also not really into defending the current front office. This is how I see the Correa situation.

1. Was 10 years 285 really their top offer? We won't know at this point we can accept it was but maybe if the Giants offer wasn't so much more maybe they try again. I agree with Jester that anything under 300 million didn't seem to cut it especially with what other guys got paid*

2. I think the Twins really looked at that 10 year 285 million deal as a 8 or 9 year deal for 30+ million. Obviously the Giants are probably looking at their deal as not really a 13 year deal either they are paying up front. My point is that I wasn't sure the Twins would even go 9 years on Correa based on what they have done/not done in the past and so they kinda went past what I expected. Regardless it wasn't good enough.

I'm not so sad that they didn't bring back Correa at a huge price go all those years but it's VERY hard to not feel like they came up short with that 10 year 285 million offer.

So...now what? Let's see what they do at SS and the rest of the offseason. It's not over yet but it's hard to see what they do from here.

* Dansby Swanson got 7 years 177 million. I'll be honest before this offseason I barely knew who he was because I don't follow the sport much especially outside of the AL. it seems he is a good player and to be honest I thought the way things were going he was gonna get 200 million. I'm guessing rhe Twins wouldn't go that long of a contract for him and 7 years 177 million ain't cheap but it seems kinda reasonable I'm maybe more sad about not getting him for that amount than Correa leaving.

The 11 million for Joey Gallo is a puzzling deal with so many left handed hitters already. I had forgotten he was a good defensive OF so it makes more sense that he gets more than just a couple million. They must has some landing spots already for Kepler but something is holding that back. I guess there is some legit upside to Gallo it wasn't like years ago that he was going his thing well. Maybe it works out. I was going for a different bat that that.

The Correa stuff was nothing more than PR spin. Consider...

Detroit offered Correa 10 years and $275M... LAST year. And it even included several opt-outs and a potential $10M bonus. https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/2022/03/11/report-reveals-new-details-of-detroit-tigers-offer-to-carlos-correa-before-signing-javier-baez/

And yet it wasn't good enough. Obviously, the Twins knew this, so they knew their 10 year $285 offer had ZERO chance.

_________

So the Twins couldn't afford Correa. Fair enough. It is what it is.

But the PR spin around it has been ridiculous. They haven't been called out on their silly ridiculous "non"-offer as much as they should have.

Meanwhile Correa to the Mets for 10 years 315 million after a reported medical issue caused the Giants deal to fall apart. MLB owners not paying luxury tax are excited about this development. Lol I spent a couple minutes looking to see what the medical issue is/was and didn't find anything. Maybe it's something actually concerning. Maybe it was buyers remorse. Correa gets his money from the Mets but it's odd that now he is gonna be playing 3rd instead of SS.

Baseball has a Cohen problem and Mets pay roll after penalties is 500 million. Which is still just a fraction of what cohen is worth which is 17 billion.

Pretty reliable sources I know say it's Correa back and their reason to believe that he will need back surgery in the next 3 years. It also sounds like Cohen was prepared to be best any offer as he was actually willing to do the original idea for Correa but the Mets were late to table because they didn't think Correa would want to play 3B.

I'm not mad the twins didn't get Correa but this is a dark day for baseball. Wait till next year when Ohtani and Soto are Free agents and they both sign with the Mets and their pay roll reaches a billion it's going to happen.

Thanks for the insight especially on Correa's health concern.

It will be interesting to see if the Mets spending money pays off.

Mark Contreras DFA'd to make room for Gallo. I'm gonna be losing around 12 minutes of sleep because of that move. Lol
FNG

Post by FNG »

monsterpile wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Ok first of all I didn't think the Twins were gonna end up with Correa this offseason. I thought they did have a chance to get him if he really did want to come back to MN more than going somewhere else. That may have been the case but clearly the Giants which are a pretty good spot too offered up something way more. Still kinda sucks though and I felt it a bit when he signed elsewhere.

I'm also not really into defending the current front office. This is how I see the Correa situation.

1. Was 10 years 285 really their top offer? We won't know at this point we can accept it was but maybe if the Giants offer wasn't so much more maybe they try again. I agree with Jester that anything under 300 million didn't seem to cut it especially with what other guys got paid*

2. I think the Twins really looked at that 10 year 285 million deal as a 8 or 9 year deal for 30+ million. Obviously the Giants are probably looking at their deal as not really a 13 year deal either they are paying up front. My point is that I wasn't sure the Twins would even go 9 years on Correa based on what they have done/not done in the past and so they kinda went past what I expected. Regardless it wasn't good enough.

I'm not so sad that they didn't bring back Correa at a huge price go all those years but it's VERY hard to not feel like they came up short with that 10 year 285 million offer.

So...now what? Let's see what they do at SS and the rest of the offseason. It's not over yet but it's hard to see what they do from here.

* Dansby Swanson got 7 years 177 million. I'll be honest before this offseason I barely knew who he was because I don't follow the sport much especially outside of the AL. it seems he is a good player and to be honest I thought the way things were going he was gonna get 200 million. I'm guessing rhe Twins wouldn't go that long of a contract for him and 7 years 177 million ain't cheap but it seems kinda reasonable I'm maybe more sad about not getting him for that amount than Correa leaving.

The 11 million for Joey Gallo is a puzzling deal with so many left handed hitters already. I had forgotten he was a good defensive OF so it makes more sense that he gets more than just a couple million. They must has some landing spots already for Kepler but something is holding that back. I guess there is some legit upside to Gallo it wasn't like years ago that he was going his thing well. Maybe it works out. I was going for a different bat that that.

Detroit offered Correa 10 years and $275M... LAST year. And it even included several opt-outs and a potential $10M bonus. https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/2022/03/11/report-reveals-new-details-of-detroit-tigers-offer-to-carlos-correa-before-signing-javier-baez/

And yet it wasn't good enough. Obviously, the Twins knew this, so they knew their 10 year $285 offer had ZERO chance.

_________

But the PR spin around it has been ridiculous. They haven't been called out on their silly ridiculous "non"-offer as much as they should have.

Meanwhile Correa to the Mets for 10 years 315 million after a reported medical issue caused the Giants deal to fall apart. MLB owners not paying luxury tax are excited about this development. Lol I spent a couple minutes looking to see what the medical issue is/was and didn't find anything. Maybe it's something actually concerning. Maybe it was buyers remorse. Correa gets his money from the Mets but it's odd that now he is gonna be playing 3rd instead of SS.

Baseball has a Cohen problem and Mets pay roll after penalties is 500 million. Which is still just a fraction of what cohen is worth which is 17 billion.

Pretty reliable sources I know say it's Correa back and their reason to believe that he will need back surgery in the next 3 years. It also sounds like Cohen was prepared to be best any offer as he was actually willing to do the original idea for Correa but the Mets were late to table because they didn't think Correa would want to play 3B.

I'm not mad the twins didn't get Correa but this is a dark day for baseball. Wait till next year when Ohtani and Soto are Free agents and they both sign with the Mets and their pay roll reaches a billion it's going to happen.

Mark Contreras DFA'd to make room for Gallo. I'm gonna be losing around 12 minutes of sleep because of that move. Lol

I love Correa, but I'm pretty confident we dodged a bullet on this one...it will be fun to cheer against the Mets.

Gallo has a lifetime batting average below the Mendoza Line, but surprisingly he has a better career OPS than Kepler. And he is equal or better in the field. If this move means nothing more than swapping Kepler for Gallo in RF, it's a slight upgrade.

(Disclaimer...there is a school of thought that Kepler is one of the guys who will benefit most from the new shift rules. A lot of those ground outs we suffered through over the years may now be singles. We'll have to see).
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

FNG wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

_________

I love Correa, but I'm pretty confident we dodged a bullet on this one...it will be fun to cheer against the Mets.

Gallo has a lifetime batting average below the Mendoza Line, but surprisingly he has a better career OPS than Kepler. And he is equal or better in the field. If this move means nothing more than swapping Kepler for Gallo in RF, it's a slight upgrade.

(Disclaimer...there is a school of thought that Kepler is one of the guys who will benefit most from the new shift rules. A lot of those ground outs we suffered through over the years may now be singles. We'll have to see).

I heard this on Gleeman and geek yesterday on how the shift argument is dumb. Max is projected to get 7-9 more hits next year this would turn him from .210 hitter to .222 hitter. The point is not that max gets shifted it's when he makes contact is freakin weak contact. Unlike Gallo when he does make Contact the ball flyers. Also Joey Gallo is shifted on in 95% of his at bats too.

My point is I rather take a flyer on Gallo who when is right is borderline all star and if it doesn't work out you cut him in June and give the spot to Wallner or Marin.

I also think they dodge a bullet with Correa. My overall point is the pirates are going to spend 50 million this year and the Mets are going to spend 500 million there's something flawed in that. This was reason the owners wouldn't let Mark Cuban buy the pirates but it's okay for Cohen to do it New York.

Also Correa is a scrub who played the twins to getting the big contract he wanted. I know one thing he isn't the Dior product I was looking for.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Jester1534 wrote:
FNG wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

_________

I heard this on Gleeman and geek yesterday on how the shift argument is dumb. Max is projected to get 7-9 more hits next year this would turn him from .210 hitter to .222 hitter. The point is not that max gets shifted it's when he makes contact is freakin weak contact. Unlike Gallo when he does make Contact the ball flyers. Also Joey Gallo is shifted on in 95% of his at bats too.

My point is I rather take a flyer on Gallo who when is right is borderline all star and if it doesn't work out you cut him in June and give the spot to Wallner or Marin.

I also think they dodge a bullet with Correa. My overall point is the pirates are going to spend 50 million this year and the Mets are going to spend 500 million there's something flawed in that. This was reason the owners wouldn't let Mark Cuban buy the pirates but it's okay for Cohen to do it New York.

Also Correa is a scrub who played the twins to getting the big contract he wanted. I know one thing he isn't the Dior product I was looking for.

Fun stat which partly illustrates how much he was shifted against, Gallo was tied with the league leaders in bunt hits with 7. It seems it's something is actually good at now and he is fast so that helps. My Uncle would be proud. It drives him nuts when guys can't or won't bunt for hits.

The Twins should get heat for offering 285 for 10 years although that offer doesn't look as bad now after what Correa got from the Mets but him playing 3b there makes me question a bit whether or not he really wanted to return here or if the Twins were played. I'm with you guys I'm not really that upset we missed out on him and certainly could have dodged a bullet. The length of contracts now are an interesting trend. I wonder how long that continues.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Off gleeman twitter

Mets have spent $806 million on free agents this offseason.

Twins have spent $710 million on free agents combined since moving into Target Field in 2010.

Baseball doesn't have a problem though
FNG

Post by FNG »

Jester1534 wrote:
FNG wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

_________

Interesting info on Kepler and the shift, jester...makes me feel even better about replacing Kepler with Gallo. The reason I thought Kepler might benefit more from the shift rule is because of my personal experience. 8 years ago I was playing ball in a league in LA. I'm a dead pull hitter (I've always admired guys who can execute an inside out swing, but I just can't do it successfully), and before the season started I decided to keep records of how my batting average would have been affected by a shift (nobody ever shifted in that league). I kept dual records. At the end of the season my batting average was .365, but I calculated it would have been .290 if teams had put 3 infielders on the left side every at bat! Sometimes when I watched another right side groundout by Kepler, I surmised that he might have the same kind of results as I did. But Gleeman is pretty reliable, so I'm going to take his stat as gospel. I'm guardedly optimistic about the Gallo deal.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

_________

$500 million! I just heard on TV that the Mets payroll next year will be bigger than the entire GDP of 8 countries. Roll that around in your heads for awhile.
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

_________

$500 million! I just heard on TV that the Mets payroll next year will be bigger than the entire GDP of 8 countries. Roll that around in your heads for awhile.

That's an interesting stat. For something that was more familiar/comparable to me I thought it would be interesting to look up the GDP for each of the US states. Even for Vermont it was a lot more than 500 million. Lol

It would be interesting to learn a few companies that have a 500 million payroll and how many employees they have. Of course it wouldn't be completely fair since the Mets have more than just their players on the major league roster when it comes to their total organizational payroll and so that total salary number and people in the organization is much higher but still it would be interesting.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Mark Contreras is back the offseason is saved! If only the Twins could add another left handed hitting outfielder to the organization then we would be set there.

Correa is still available. Is there a go fund me to contribute to to get him? Nah I'll pass. Lol it's gonna be interesting to see how this Correa situation plays out.

Twins added catcher John Wolters on a minor league deal. He might not be any good now but it's a solid minor league signing for depth.

Go Twins!!!
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

Well, there you go.

Would have preferred another starting pitcher and using Farmer/Lee at short, but it is what it is.