Wolves Horizon Beyond the 2022-23 Season

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Wolves Horizon Beyond the 2022-23 Season

Post by Lipoli390 »

I haven't given up on this season yet, but the more I look at the Wolves remaining schedule the less optimistic I am about where the Wolves will end up this season in spite of how well they've been playing lately. So I thought I'd start this thread as a place to go for solace if things start looking bleak over the next 4-5 weeks.

Why do I view this thread as a refuge for solace? After all, haven't I been down on this team's long-term prospects because of the Gobert deal? Well, no doubt the Gobert deal has seriously depleted this team's draft assets, reduced its transactional options and crimped its financial flexibility. But I'm still bullish on the Wolves longer term prospects after this season for the following reasons:

1. The upside and development of Edwards and McDaniels. There's no doubt that both players have huge upside. Edwards has the potential to become an elite star while McDaniels has the potential in my view to become an all-star. Both are already playing at a really high level. At age 21, Ant is already an all-star and the 22 year old McDaniels is already one of the League's best defenders who can score efficiently. And both have take huge leaps forward this season, which is the sort of trajectory that suggests they are both likely to achieve their full potential or close to it. To me they are the prefect 1-2 combo in today's NBA, which is largely driven by great guards and wings or bigs who play like guards or wings. It particularly encouraging to see both rounding into really good two-way players as Ant embraces and improves defensively while McDaniels expands and improves his offensive game. I think McDaniels has a lot more offensive game to unlock.

2. The other young talent in the organization - Naz, Garza, NAW, Minott, Moore. I'll start with Naz and just mention the obvious. He is a really talented offensive big who continues to get better. While not a good defender, he's a good shot-blocker and quick feet. So I think he has the potential to get better on that end of the floor. His ability to handle the ball and move his feet on the offensive end at his size is quite amazing. Luka Garza's G-League play and limited NBA minutes have convinced me he's an NBA-caliber center. I hope the Wolves keep him. If the Wolves let him go I think they and other teams that pass on him will regret it. I know he has issues defensively, but Jokic was a poor defender earlier in his career. Luka is a gifted offensive player and excellent rebounder with a high basketball IQ. NAW has impressed me enough in his few games here to make be a believer in his potential as a solid two-way rotation player. We haven't had many two-way players in this organization, which makes NAW pretty rare and valuable. Minott is the most intriguing and exciting prospect in the Wolves organization. Larry Brown said he would have been a high lottery pick if he had stayed in college another year or two. His G-League numbers support Larry's comment. I see Minott as the 2023 1st-round pick we gave up as part of the package for Gobert. Finally, I don't want to overlook Wendell Moore. He hasn't been particularly impressive in the G-League or his limited minutes in Minnesota. But he hasn't looked bad either. He was a late bloomer in college and perhaps that's what he'll be in the NBA. I like that he seems to have a good sense of pace and a high basketball IQ. All these young guys have value as either trade assets or future Wolves' players.

3. KAT and Rudy. I still see KAT with the Wolves as part of the future all-star caliber triad you typically see on NBA championship contenders. His elite, efficient, incredibly versatile scoring and rebounding prowess make him a unique and potent part of a championship core. And he's still only 27 years old, which means he can still be at his best as our two young budding stars - And and McDaniels - begin to peak. If the Wolves front office wants to go younger or believes KAT doesn't fit well going forward, they could trade him for a boatload of young talent and replenish much of their draft stock. I'm encouraged by Rudy's improved play lately as the team seems to be fitting better into the offense and raising his level of play defensively as well. Again, Rudy as a player hasn't been a problem although I agree with Cam that he's defense looks like it's fallen off a bit from earlier in his career. The problem with Rudy in my mind has always been fit. I'm especially concerned about his fit with Edwards long term based on age and spacing. I'm also worried about his fit with KAT because I'm not sure KAT can guard PFs effectively. Nevertheless, I've seen enough to offer hope that things can work with Rudy here. Moreover, I still believe he has decent trade value and I'm still in favor of trading him this summer.

I think the top priority for this team in the off season will be finding a young PG who can become the Wolves starting PG after Conley. Having Conley here provides a great mentorship opportunity for a young PG. I still like JMac as a very solid backup, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable moving forward with him as Conley's successor.

So there you have it. In spite of losing Kessler, Vando and four future unprotected 1st-round picks, the Wolves future looks bright in my eyes. Oh, and the DLO deal replenished our depleted stock of 2nd round picks too. :)
Wolvesfan21

Re: Wolves Horizon Beyond the 2022-23 Season

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Kat is better to place at the 4 defensively as he is a lower liability in that position having lesser responsibilities. That was the part of the Gobert trade I was excited about. KAT has never been shown to be good enough on defense without getting into foul trouble constantly. He led the league in fouls I think multiple times. Teams targeted him to get him off the floor. I thought Rudy could take a load off of KAT and KAT would excel actually. Sure he's not exactly quick on his feet to guard the perimeter, but I'd rather see a few more open 3's then easy lay ups. KAT isn't really that good a rebounder either as a 5, he's not elite, he's just decent. As good as a floor spacer KAT is as a 5, he just gives it up and more on defense imo.

I still think long term KAT as a 4 makes the most sense to keep him out of foul trouble, keep him on the floor so he can play offense and have a better defense.

Now if we were getting DPOY Gobert this trade would also look better as well.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I think last season showed that you can have a competitive defensive team (even in the playoffs) with Karl-Anthony Towns at the five despite him being a less-than-stellar defender. He's not the anchor of a good defense, but given the rest of the pieces in play he doesn't have to be either.

The advantage he provides offensively as an elite floor-spacing center is proving to be too good to give up, especially when you factor in how good Towns is at attacking off the catch and finishing in the paint. That style fits well with Anthony Edwards moving forward. It's far less clunky and opens everything up in the halfcourt.

I would be looking to move both Rudy Gobert and Mike Conley Jr. for younger, more dynamic, perhaps less proven talent at the guard and forward spots -- as well as whatever draft capital you can salvage. I think the youth of Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels, as well as Towns, allows you to make moves of that nature. Many won't agree with this take, but I do not believe Gobert and Conley are worth keeping around this summer versus what else they could acquire for them.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Hey we won 3 games let's talk about the future lol this board sometimes can never enjoy the present.

Jester1534 wrote:Hey we won 3 games let's talk about the future lol this board sometimes can never enjoy the present.

It's difficult to truly enjoy the present when the prospective outlook for this "all-in" core is likely flaming out in the first round of the playoffs -- that is, if they even secure that postseason spot, which is far from guaranteed.

They're not contending with this group, which means future moves are probably necessary. I think it's fair to discuss what those might be.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Camden wrote:I think last season showed that you can have a competitive defensive team (even in the playoffs) with Karl-Anthony Towns at the five despite him being a less-than-stellar defender. He's not the anchor of a good defense, but given the rest of the pieces in play he doesn't have to be either.

The advantage he provides offensively as an elite floor-spacing center is proving to be too good to give up, especially when you factor in how good Towns is at attacking off the catch and finishing in the paint. That style fits well with Anthony Edwards moving forward. It's far less clunky and opens everything up in the halfcourt.

I would be looking to move both Rudy Gobert and Mike Conley Jr. for younger, more dynamic, perhaps less proven talent at the guard and forward spots -- as well as whatever draft capital you can salvage. I think the youth of Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels, as well as Towns, allows you to make moves of that nature. Many won't agree with this take, but I do not believe Gobert and Conley are worth keeping around this summer versus what else they could acquire for them.

I like him in backup Center minutes to try and keep him on the court. His foul issues are too big to ignore. If he can't stay on the floor then he can't do what he does well, play offense. How many years do we have to watch the same thing over and over and over.

Here are the Wolves team defensive rankings based on year with KAT as the starting 5- I believe these are PPP. More bottom 5 defenses then not! That is pathetic.

21' = 14th
20' = 27th
19' = 19th
18' = 23rd
17' = 27th
16' = 27th
15' = 28th

This year the Wolves are 10th in defense.

WolvesFan21 wrote:
Camden wrote:I think last season showed that you can have a competitive defensive team (even in the playoffs) with Karl-Anthony Towns at the five despite him being a less-than-stellar defender. He's not the anchor of a good defense, but given the rest of the pieces in play he doesn't have to be either.

I like him in backup Center minutes to try and keep him on the court. His foul issues are too big to ignore. If he can't stay on the floor then he can't do what he does well, play offense. How many years do we have to watch the same thing over and over and over.

Here are the Wolves team defensive rankings based on year with KAT as the starting 5- I believe these are PPP. More bottom 5 defenses then not! That is pathetic.

21' = 14th
20' = 27th
19' = 19th
18' = 23rd
17' = 27th
16' = 27th
15' = 28th

Those foul issues wouldn't be as severe if he would clean up the offensive fouls within his game that are silly in reality. I also think those could be reduced by simply giving him the ball less in areas that he's not prepared to shoot almost right away. He gets in trouble when he has to create too much. Defensively, he actually does a relatively good job of defending without fouling at this stage of his career.

Also notice that last year they had the 14th-best defense with Towns manning the center position. Specifically, they changed from a drop coverage to a hard hedge concept, which really worked to Towns' benefit. Was it that simple all along? Of course not, but it does stand as proof that you can have a respectable, if not good, defense with Towns handling that five spot. And of course you get the big advantage I spoke to earlier.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Camden wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

21' = 14th
20' = 27th
19' = 19th
18' = 23rd
17' = 27th
16' = 27th
15' = 28th

Those foul issues wouldn't be as severe if he would clean up the offensive fouls within his game that are silly in reality. I also think those could be reduced by simply giving him the ball less in areas that he's not prepared to shoot almost right away. He gets in trouble when he has to create too much. Defensively, he actually does a relatively good job of defending without fouling at this stage of his career.

Also notice that last year they had the 14th-best defense with Towns manning the center position. Specifically, they changed from a drop coverage to a hard hedge concept, which really worked to Towns' benefit. Was it that simple all along? Of course not, but it does stand as proof that you can have a respectable, if not good, defense with Towns handling that five spot. And of course you get the big advantage I spoke to earlier.

Last year Vando played a ton who is also not a floor spacer but primary defensive player, so there you have it. One year in KAT's career and they are not bottom half or even worse, bottom 5.

The stats tell the story. Do you think the Wolves would really ever have a chance to be a contender with defenses even close to that bad?

TC is not an idiot. He brought Gobert in here for a reason. You can't continue to be terrible on defense every year and be a good or great team. Never mind elite one.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:Hey we won 3 games let's talk about the future lol this board sometimes can never enjoy the present.

It's difficult to truly enjoy the present when the prospective outlook for this "all-in" core is likely flaming out in the first round of the playoffs -- that is, if they even secure that postseason spot, which is far from guaranteed.

They're not contending with this group, which means future moves are probably necessary. I think it's fair to discuss what those might be.

This team has missed the playoffs 80% of my life I think I'm ok with this year annd enjoying for what it's worth. Also if this week has shown this team can beat anbody because there are no true elite teams.

The future depends on Ant and Jaden. By the time Gobert trade pans out they will be entering their prime. Those picks have as much of chance of being Wendell Moore then turning out to be Walker Kessler.

My problem is anytime this team does something great this board just shits on it with threads like this.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Jester1534 wrote:
Camden wrote:

This team has missed the playoffs 80% of my life I think I'm ok with this year annd enjoying for what it's worth. Also if this week has shown this team can beat anbody because there are no true elite teams.

The future depends on Ant and Jaden. By the time Gobert trade pans out they will be entering their prime. Those picks have as much of chance of being Wendell Moore then turning out to be Walker Kessler.

My problem is anytime this team does something great this board just shits on it with threads like this.

To be fair... a three-game winning streak isn't "great" for fans of 29 other franchises.

We've just developed a different, more tempered set of expectations as the biggest suffering fans in the NBA.