Around the League 2022-23

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Around the League 2022-23

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I missed this back-and-forth when it originally took place, but I'm also in on Markelle Fultz. His numbers for the season are decent, but he's also averaging 17, 6, and 5 on 59.2 TS% since February (21 games) with solid defensive metrics overall. He's trending upwards and I still think there's another level he can ascend to as a point guard. Nice to see him battle back through injuries and underwhelming play early in his career.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:Monster - Yep, the Sixers landed on their feet drafting Maxey with the pick they received in return after making a dumb swap with the Celtics and then giving up on Fultz. Good front office executives can come back from mistakes. Maxey was a smart pick and credit the Sixers organization for giving Maxey ample opportunity to showcase his talent and develop. I wasn't dissing the Sixers; I was just illustrating the importance of patience when dealing with young NBA talent, Fultz is putting up really good numbers this year and I think we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg with him. He's a tremendous talent

Lip can you explain what you mean when you said Fultz's numbers are "really good?"

14 points. 5.6 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 1.5 steals while shooting over 50% from the field are really good numbers in my book.

I'll keep this in mind going forward. I think your bar is pretty low.

If I said good without the adverb would that be more reasonable? :). I'm always impressed by a PG who shoots over 50% from the field. I also like seeing 4+ rebounds from a PG. Those are the stats that jumped out at me.

Yes that would be more reasonable. :) Yes a guy shooting over 50% as a PG is good and it's pretty good that he is scoring like he is without the 3 point shot but it's also a reason his FG% is high. Tell me the last starting PG that was really good that basically wasn't a factor from 3. Having said that I don't think a starting PG HAS to have that in his game and Fultz MIGHT progress there but that's a pretty big hurdle. Everyone can agree we are happy the guy is playing well and hoping for more. Let's hope the guy can stay healthy. I really wish Jonathon Isaac could stay healthy but every year that looks less likely.

Meanwhile if we are gonna say these are "really good stats" I guess Connelly knocked it out of the park acquiring Mike Conley because he is putting up similar stats except they are even better because he is lighting it up from 3! :)
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:Monster - Yep, the Sixers landed on their feet drafting Maxey with the pick they received in return after making a dumb swap with the Celtics and then giving up on Fultz. Good front office executives can come back from mistakes. Maxey was a smart pick and credit the Sixers organization for giving Maxey ample opportunity to showcase his talent and develop. I wasn't dissing the Sixers; I was just illustrating the importance of patience when dealing with young NBA talent, Fultz is putting up really good numbers this year and I think we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg with him. He's a tremendous talent

Lip can you explain what you mean when you said Fultz's numbers are "really good?"

14 points. 5.6 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 1.5 steals while shooting over 50% from the field are really good numbers in my book.

If I said good without the adverb would that be more reasonable? :). I'm always impressed by a PG who shoots over 50% from the field. I also like seeing 4+ rebounds from a PG. Those are the stats that jumped out at me.

Yes that would be more reasonable. :) Yes a guy shooting over 50% as a PG is good and it's pretty good that he is scoring like he is without the 3 point shot but it's also a reason his FG% is high. Tell me the last starting PG that was really good that basically wasn't a factor from 3. Having said that I don't think a starting PG HAS to have that in his game and Fultz MIGHT progress there but that's a pretty big hurdle. Everyone can agree we are happy the guy is playing well and hoping for more. Let's hope the guy can stay healthy. I really wish Jonathon Isaac could stay healthy but every year that looks less likely.

Meanwhile if we are gonna say these are "really good stats" I guess Connelly knocked it out of the park acquiring Mike Conley because he is putting up similar stats except they are even better because he is lighting it up from 3! :)

Let's do an apples to apples comparison - full season to date:

Conley: 11.4p, 7.7a, 2.5reb, 42%FG, 37.6%TPFG, 52.8% eFG
Fultz: 14.0p, 5.7a, 4.1reb, 51%FG, 31.4%TPFG, 52.9% eFG

Overall, Conley's numbers aren't better than Fultz. Conley has more assists and a better 3-pt percentage, but Fultz has more points, more rebounds and a much better FG percentage. As it turns out, they have essentially the same eFG percentage. So if Conley's numbers are "really good" then my initial characterization of Fultz was correct. :) Or maybe we can agree that both have merely "good" numbers. Both appear to be trending the latter part of this season.

I really like the way Conley's playing, but I'd take Fultz in a heartbeat for the Wolves now because of his age if I had the choice. In my perfect world, however, we'd have both because I really like the skills, veteran leadership and poise that Mike Conley has brought to the team.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

The Pelicans have already won tonight, which puts them in a tie with the Wolves and what seems like half the teams in the West. :) The Thunder are locked in a tight battle with the Clippers. If the Thunder win, they'll pull a half game ahead of the Wolves. If the Clippers win it will knock the Thunder a half game below the Wolves. I'm pulling for the Thunder because a Thunder win will put the Wolves within 2 games of the Clippers. I'm more interested in the Wolves moving up to the #6 spot than I am in barely making the play-in tournament. Further, if the Wolves can't finish ahead of the Thunder, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyway.

The Wolves best shot at landing in the top 6 is to pass the Mavs and Warriors who are only a game ahead of the Wolves right now. But if the Warriors don't drop, maybe the Clippers will struggle and slide down. Meanwhile, the teams tied with or behind the Wolves that I fear the most are the Lakers and Pelicans.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Overall, Conley's numbers aren't better than Fultz. Conley has more assists and a better 3-pt percentage, but Fultz has more points, more rebounds and a much better FG percentage. As it turns out, they have essentially the same eFG percentage. So if Conley's numbers are "really good" then my initial characterization of Fultz was correct. :) Or maybe we can agree that both have merely "good" numbers. Both appear to be trending the latter part of this season.

I really like the way Conley's playing, but I'd take Fultz in a heartbeat for the Wolves now because of his age if I had the choice. In my perfect world, however, we'd have both because I really like the skills, veteran leadership and poise that Mike Conley has brought to the team.

Im talking Timberwolves Mike Conley and I just said that just kinda joking around although with the last few games Conley has been pretty good...kinda reminds me a bit of another former Wolves PG actually.

Obviously Fultz would be more appealing as a long term option compared to Conley. It's worth considering that while Fultz if healthy could get better he is signed for one more season. How much will he cost after that? What will he actually be worth? What will the Magic do with the 3 point guard or combo guards guys they have on their roster with Fultz Anthony and Suggs? I think some of those guys can play together but how much do the Magic want to pay for those guys? That's one roster to consider when looking for a possible future starting guard for the Wolves. I like all those players but I'm not sold on any of them as actual starters. I do think Cole Anthony is a little underrated at least offensively.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Thunder win and PG gets seriously hurt.
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek1 wrote:Thunder win and PG gets seriously hurt.

Just saw that PG had some ridiculous dunks in that game. Hope he is ok but it didn't look good.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

kekgeek1 wrote:Thunder win and PG gets seriously hurt.

If the Thunder finish higher than us on the standing by seasons end I'm going to be seriously disgusted. We have a significantly better roster than them.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

The Thunder have already won tonight, which puts them in a tie with the Wolves and what seems like half the teams in the West. :) Pelicans also won
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Im talking Timberwolves Mike Conley and I just said that just kinda joking around although with the last few games Conley has been pretty good...kinda reminds me a bit of another former Wolves PG actually.

Obviously Fultz would be more appealing as a long term option compared to Conley. It's worth considering that while Fultz if healthy could get better he is signed for one more season. How much will he cost after that? What will he actually be worth? What will the Magic do with the 3 point guard or combo guards guys they have on their roster with Fultz Anthony and Suggs? I think some of those guys can play together but how much do the Magic want to pay for those guys? That's one roster to consider when looking for a possible future starting guard for the Wolves. I like all those players but I'm not sold on any of them as actual starters. I do think Cole Anthony is a little underrated at least offensively.

I've had my eye on the PG surplus in Orlando all season. I was hoping TC would pull off a deal for one of them at the deadline last month, but I don't think there was a realistic scenario for getting Fultz. I'm actually pretty happy with Conley. But I'm high on Fultz long term and I also think Suggs is going to turn out to be good. He's probably very gettable.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I saw Nick Richard's signed a 3 year 15 million extension. He was gonna be a RFA so that was gonna limit his potential but that seems like a solid deal. It makes me think the Wolves could bring back Naz for a reasonable deal and despite his flaws and the fact that they do have Garza I think it's something they should do.