Rudy Gobert to the Timberwolves

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Jester1534

Re: Rudy Gobert to the Timberwolves

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:Connelly was always drafting players and having to worry about trading them for value because the depth of his roster. He alleviated that problem. Lol

Does Naz Reid make more sense to this roster now with Gobert on it?

I would say yes because he is now a change of pace big. Instead of being Extreme Kat Light.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
KG4Ever wrote:For the record, I hate this trade, hated Butler trade and hated DLo trade. This might even be the worst one of the bunch. What the fkk happened to "no shortcuts." Timmy getting paid $8 million to make garbage trades like this. Geez, I might be done with this team as I don't think I'll ever live to see them win anything. Go Warriors!

You do know Rudy is a better player then KAT right? There is a thing called defense and the Wolves just got it done. They are also banking on those picks being late 1st rounders, with Ant here who legitimately could be a top 5 player in a few years those odds are fairly likely as well.

I love the trade. The Wolves are now Championship contenders.

You do know KAT is the best big man shooter in NBA history right?

They are opposites, one is great on D, the other is great on O. The paring is fine as long as they can avoid teams getting them in a spin cycle. They gave up massive draft capital, which is the problem IMO.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

TheFuture wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
KG4Ever wrote:For the record, I hate this trade, hated Butler trade and hated DLo trade. This might even be the worst one of the bunch. What the fkk happened to "no shortcuts." Timmy getting paid $8 million to make garbage trades like this. Geez, I might be done with this team as I don't think I'll ever live to see them win anything. Go Warriors!

You do know Rudy is a better player then KAT right? There is a thing called defense and the Wolves just got it done. They are also banking on those picks being late 1st rounders, with Ant here who legitimately could be a top 5 player in a few years those odds are fairly likely as well.

The guy plays amazing D when half the league is coasting. Come playoff time he becomes unplayable. You want to pay 40 mil for a guy who is targeted when things get real? This is stupid.

The Wolves just got played.

I like that we are in a disagreement. We'll see how it plays out. :D
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

monsterpile wrote:Connelly was always drafting players and having to worry about trading them for value because the depth of his roster. He alleviated that problem. Lol

Does Naz Reid make more sense to this roster now with Gobert on it?

I am not sure about Naz. Seems like we will surely add another big, maybe even two if we keep Knight.

But does Naz even get much playing time? In theory, one of Gobert or KAT should be on the floor at all times. That wouldn't leave much room for Naz, but guys like SloMo, Prince and/or Jaden would be the more likely partner in the front court when Gobert and KAT are not sharing the floor.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

TheGrey08 wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

They are opposites, one is great on D, the other is great on O. The paring is fine as long as they can avoid teams getting them in a spin cycle. They gave up massive draft capital, which is the problem IMO.

Rudy can hang low in the paint. If teams go 5 small then we might give up some 3's. But I see us also punishing teams on the other end. We got twin towers who can out rebound teams even on the offensive glass.

Playing defense, rebounding both offensively and defensively isn't sexy, but it wins. I want to see teams go small.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
TheGrey08 wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

Rudy can hang low in the paint. If teams go 5 small then we might give up some 3's. But I see us also punishing teams on the other end. We got twin towers who can out rebound teams even on the offensive glass.

Playing defense, rebounding both offensively and defensively isn't sexy, but it wins. I want to see teams go small.

Also does everyone forget how basically Brandon Clarke won Memphis a series because of how many offensive rebounds he got.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

And Gobert is not unplayable in the playoffs. He averaged 33 minutes per game against Dallas and was by many measurements was by far their best player.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

TheGrey08 wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

I'm not concerned about the draft capital as long as those picks are late 1sts. Very rarely do late 1st rounders even pan out to be starters. Jaden McDaniels is a rarity. Look at the last 10 years of picks from 20-32 and tell me you are concerned. Usually only about 10% of those guys pan out. The odds are very low.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
TheGrey08 wrote:

I'm not concerned about the draft capital as long as those picks are late 1sts. Very rarely do late 1st rounders even pan out to be starters. Jaden McDaniels is a rarity. Look at the last 10 years of picks from 20-32 and tell me you are concerned. Usually only about 10% of those guys pan out. The odds are very low.

I'm more concerned with the flexibility draft capital provides than the players they would select with those picks, especially if late firsts. I'm thinking of a future scenario where they possibly hit another plateau, and are unable to utilize picks to say upgrade/find a better fit at PG. Just as an example.

Edit: It's certainly possible that scenario is next summer and they instead let D'Lo walk and sign someone else IF someone is available as a UFA. They just don't have as many options going forward and are not a big market that attracts players.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Minnesota's Starting Five + Wingspan:

1: D'Angelo Russell: 6'10"
2: Anthony Edwards: 6'9"
3: Jaden McDaniels: 7'0"
4: Karl-Anthony Towns: 7'4"
5: Rudy Gobert: 7'9"

That kind of length is extraordinary, especially in today's NBA, and it could help make up for what they lack in terms of mobility by playing two centers together in the frontcourt. It won't surprise me whatsoever if the Timberwolves lead the league in rebounding, blocked shots, steals, forced turnovers, and deflections. That is overwhelming size for a five-man unit.