DLO Russell Trade Timing

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
D-Mac [enjin:19736340]

Re: DLO Russell Trade Timing

Post by D-Mac [enjin:19736340] »

leado01 wrote:I think it's hilarious that this is a new thread.

They are messing with you Cam (or they don't understand the game).

Are you actually serious? I think you might be farther removed from reality than Camden... and that's quite an achievement!
D-Mac [enjin:19736340]

Post by D-Mac [enjin:19736340] »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:His value is never going to be high around the league. Remember my head idiot theory? Just get addition by subtraction. I'd love to see this team play without him.

It's a great theory... I like how a few of the regular posters on this board try to put your theory into practice for us :)
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:
FNG wrote:Our defense the final 16 minutes of the game yesterday was quite promising...certainly the best we have seen from them this season. I was especially pleased to see Nowell provide some nice defense. His defense has been inconsistent, but he's still young and I never question his effort. I'm not giving up hope that he can eventually become at least an average NBA defender. I want to see him bring it again on Monday against the Jazz.

But LST, is it time to move DLO while he is in a shooting groove? You know it comes and goes.

I'm not convinced he's really in a shooting groove though. His FG% the last 10 games is 45.5%, which is actually lower than his season average of 45.9%. He's making a higher percentage of his 3's his last 10 games (38%), but that percentage is only 22nd in the league among shooting guards. I don't think there are many that would consider those numbers a shooting groove. I was somewhat optimistic about moving him when he was shooting well in December (over 50% for the month I think), but January DLo has been more of what we have seem from him offensively throughout his career. I'm concerned about moving him right now for two reasons: 1) I'm not sure his value around the league is very high around the league at the present time, and 2) while I like the way we look when SloMo is running the point, we don't have any other options at PG that I like right now with JMac out. I'm still in favor of moving him before the trade deadline, but I'm hoping JMac is back by then. I'm quite comfortable going forward with SloMo and JMac at PG at both ends of the court.

In January Russell is scoring almost 17 points a game on just over 11 shots a game. That's good right? :)
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I sincerely hope Minnesota trades D'Angelo Russell for the current equivalent of Allen Crabbe and Luc Mbah a Moute so we can rid ourselves of these repetitive, typically-combative threads. How many "Trade D-Lo" posts are there now? Should we add another?

The Timberwolves likely won't be a better basketball team this year or next without him, and we'll be even thinner with regards to ball-handling, shot creation, facilitation, and perimeter shooting moving forward, but that's okay. Fuck it. Let's get worse and drive up the value of Minnesota's -- now Utah's -- draft picks over the short-term. I hope Tim Connelly is smarter than that, but we'll see. I think if you've failed to recognize Russell's on-court value to this point, then I'm not sure you're ever going to no matter who you are or what he does. The line was drawn long ago.

The other benefit of moving Russell is that hopefully we won't continue to get the sporadic appearances from Loser and KG4Ever among others. They can finally disappear and find someone else to troll.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Camden wrote:I sincerely hope Minnesota trades D'Angelo Russell for the current equivalent of Allen Crabbe and Luc Mbah a Moute so we can rid ourselves of these repetitive, typically-combative threads. How many "Trade D-Lo" posts are there now? Should we add another?

The Timberwolves likely won't be a better basketball team this year or next without him, and we'll be even thinner with regards to ball-handling, shot creation, facilitation, and perimeter shooting moving forward, but that's okay. Fuck it. Let's get worse and drive up the value of Minnesota's -- now Utah's -- draft picks over the short-term. I hope Tim Connelly is smarter than that, but we'll see. I think if you've failed to recognize Russell's on-court value to this point, then I'm not sure you're ever going to no matter who you are or what he does. The line was drawn long ago.

The other benefit of moving Russell is that hopefully we won't continue to get the sporadic appearances from Loser and KG4Ever among others. They can finally disappear and find someone else to troll.

:LOL:
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Give me Fred Vanvleet. Guy has been a winner every he goes. I think he's perfect here not having to be the guy and just to play his role. I could be wrong but he's the only name out there that I think would make the team better than DLO.
FNG

Post by FNG »

monsterpile wrote:
FNG wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:
FNG wrote:Our defense the final 16 minutes of the game yesterday was quite promising...certainly the best we have seen from them this season. I was especially pleased to see Nowell provide some nice defense. His defense has been inconsistent, but he's still young and I never question his effort. I'm not giving up hope that he can eventually become at least an average NBA defender. I want to see him bring it again on Monday against the Jazz.

But LST, is it time to move DLO while he is in a shooting groove? You know it comes and goes.

I'm not convinced he's really in a shooting groove though. His FG% the last 10 games is 45.5%, which is actually lower than his season average of 45.9%. He's making a higher percentage of his 3's his last 10 games (38%), but that percentage is only 22nd in the league among shooting guards. I don't think there are many that would consider those numbers a shooting groove. I was somewhat optimistic about moving him when he was shooting well in December (over 50% for the month I think), but January DLo has been more of what we have seem from him offensively throughout his career. I'm concerned about moving him right now for two reasons: 1) I'm not sure his value around the league is very high around the league at the present time, and 2) while I like the way we look when SloMo is running the point, we don't have any other options at PG that I like right now with JMac out. I'm still in favor of moving him before the trade deadline, but I'm hoping JMac is back by then. I'm quite comfortable going forward with SloMo and JMac at PG at both ends of the court.

In January Russell is scoring almost 17 points a game on just over 11 shots a game. That's good right? :)

That's definitely very good, and it's due to two terrifically efficient games against the Clippers and Rockets where he went 16-16 on free throws! I loved the way he got to the line in those two games.

But monster- you're one of the posters here who focuses on more than just the offensive side of the ball, so you know that while he was scoring those 17 PPG, he probably was responsible for giving up 27 points a game in January! No matter what team he is on and who is on the court with him, there is one thing fans can rely on with Russell...his team will consistently be outscored when he is on the court, because his offense will never be enough to make up for his poor defense. Once again this season, he is dead last among Wolves starters in on/off performance. I praised his defensive effort during the two games after the players' only meeting where he was reportedly called out by his teammates, but he has reverted back to the lazy defense that has been the hallmark of his career. Fortunately Finchie noticed it against Cleveland (and even more fortunately, Nowell was having a surprisingly good game, so Finchie had an alternative to Russell that he hasn't had with JMac out), and his benching DLo for the last 16 minutes of the game was a huge factor in our pulling out a very important win. Our defense was exceptional during those 16 minutes...so much fun to see us swarming around the perimeter in a manner we never see when Russell is on the court!

I understand that these "Trade DLo" threads are frustrating for the posters who admire his game, but I find them among the more important threads we have in this forum...what TC is able to pull off with Russell (or how Finchie handles him once KAT and JMac are back) is vital for the success of this season and this franchise. But I also find them entertaining. I don't think there is any other player in the Association with such a wide chasm between the way his admirers view his contribution and the way most NBA followers view him. It's an interesting phenomenon.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Jester1534 wrote:Give me Fred Vanvleet. Guy has been a winner every he goes. I think he's perfect here not having to be the guy and just to play his role. I could be wrong but he's the only name out there that I think would make the team better than DLO.

Vanvleet is having a bad season and he (along with several Raptors) is being mentioned in many trade discussions. And there is no question that he would be perfect here and likely propel us into a top 4 position. But I think Toronto knows his value, and isn't going to give him up for the likes of Russell. The Lakers reportedly covet him (along with Lowry), and they have draft capital to offer that we don't have. But a Wolves fan can dream, right...
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
FNG wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:

That's definitely very good, and it's due to two terrifically efficient games against the Clippers and Rockets where he went 16-16 on free throws! I loved the way he got to the line in those two games.

But monster- you're one of the posters here who focuses on more than just the offensive side of the ball, so you know that while he was scoring those 17 PPG, he probably was responsible for giving up 27 points a game in January! No matter what team he is on and who is on the court with him, there is one thing fans can rely on with Russell...his team will consistently be outscored when he is on the court, because his offense will never be enough to make up for his poor defense. Once again this season, he is dead last among Wolves starters in on/off performance. I praised his defensive effort during the two games after the players' only meeting where he was reportedly called out by his teammates, but he has reverted back to the lazy defense that has been the hallmark of his career. Fortunately Finchie noticed it against Cleveland (and even more fortunately, Nowell was having a surprisingly good game, so Finchie had an alternative to Russell that he hasn't had with JMac out), and his benching DLo for the last 16 minutes of the game was a huge factor in our pulling out a very important win. Our defense was exceptional during those 16 minutes...so much fun to see us swarming around the perimeter in a manner we never see when Russell is on the court!

I understand that these "Trade DLo" threads are frustrating for the posters who admire his game, but I find them among the more important threads we have in this forum...what TC is able to pull off with Russell (or how Finchie handles him once KAT and JMac are back) is vital for the success of this season and this franchise. But I also find them entertaining. I don't think there is any other player in the Association with such a wide chasm between the way his admirers view his contribution and the way most NBA followers view him. It's an interesting phenomenon.

My only point was saying you said he hasn't been in a groove lately shooting the ball which seems like a weird take to me when that's been a strength of his game and efficiency is one of your foundations of whether or not a player is valuable.

I like Russell to some extent but at this point I'm actually not wildly invested in him being here. He could be traded today and I'd be fine with it. My position has been and continues to be that Russell at his salary and his overall value isn't likely to bring back much to the Wolves. For this season he is probably more valuable than moving him and while not having that salary slot sucks I'd rather just simply move on and hope to figure something out than make a deal we regret later.

You must have forgotten about Derrick Rose. :) Also it wasn't that long again there was another PG that accounted for a massive amounts of posts on this forum. You may remember him...Ricky Rubio. I hope the next starting PG has a different letter in their name to mix things up. To be fair though Teague wasn't exactly beloved here either. Lol
FNG

Post by FNG »

monsterpile wrote:
FNG wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
FNG wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:

My only point was saying you said he hasn't been in a groove lately shooting the ball which seems like a weird take to me when that's been a strength of his game and efficiency is one of your foundations of whether or not a player is valuable.

I like Russell to some extent but at this point I'm actually not wildly invested in him being here. He could be traded today and I'd be fine with it. My position has been and continues to be that Russell at his salary and his overall value isn't likely to bring back much to the Wolves. For this season he is probably more valuable than moving him and while not having that salary slot sucks I'd rather just simply move on and hope to figure something out than make a deal we regret later.

You must have forgotten about Derrick Rose. :) Also it wasn't that long again there was another PG that accounted for a massive amounts of posts on this forum. You may remember him...Ricky Rubio. I hope the next starting PG has a different letter in their name to mix things up. To be fair though Teague wasn't exactly beloved here either. Lol

I agree that it's not likely that TC will find a deal that brings us back much. My best guess is that DLo stays with the team, and we let him walk at the end of the season. I'm not going to lose much sleep over losing the salary slot.

Ha, Rubio did provide a lot of conversation fodder here! I will say this though...unlike DLo, I think the prevailing opinion of Ricky here was quite close to the national opinion. Most here described him as a poor and inefficient shooter who nevertheless consistently made his team better due to his defense and efficient distribution.