Asset Inventory

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Asset Inventory

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Part of me hopes D'Angelo Russell actually does walk and leaves this franchise in the dust. This fan base as a whole just doesn't deserve him, doesn't appreciate him. He rarely gets the appropriate credit he warrants while simultaneously receiving more criticism than is necessary. And it's been that way since the day he was acquired.

The truth is that this franchise needs him badly given the realistic alternatives at point guard and the win-now territory they put themselves in. Extending or re-signing him should still be one of their top priorities. Letting him leave in free agency would be a significant mistake.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

FNG wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
WildWolf2813 wrote:I'm at the point where letting D'Lo walk is like ripping a band-aid off. It might need to be done. Yeah, we'd have no starting caliber PG's, but I don't think we have any now. Connelly should have addressed that and now we're stuck praying for Spagnolo. Then D'Lo can find out what teams really think of him. Connelly better pray he drafts the next Brogdon in 2023.

My thoughts on DLO are as follows:

First, I don't think it's worth trading him because I don't see us getting adequate value in return. His trade value is primarily his expiring contract, which means we'd have to take a roughly the same salary back but on a longer-term deal. That would make a bad cap situation for the Wolves even worse.

Second, I think the Wolves can probably re-sign DLO after this season at a salary around the MLE level. Honestly, I just don't see a team offering him more than around $10-12 million per year. Therefore, I'm not sure I'd just let him walk. I've never been a DLO fan, but I've been fine with his play this season. He's tried to do for Gobert what he did for Jarrett Allen, but the problem is that Allen had very good hands good footwork while Gobert does not. DLO continues to give great effort on the defensive end Yes, his shooting remains wildly in consistently and I think that will always be an issue with him. But he's smart and talented and we could do a lot worse. The problem this year is that putting DLO on the court with both Gobert and KAT means three-fifths of our starting lineup is relatively slow and unathletic. That just doesn't cut it in the NBA.

Lip, have you gotten into the NYE champagne a little early ;-) ? I don't know if you're going to the game tonight or not (I'm not...gonna watch the replay in the morning), but I challenge you to focus much of your time on DLo's defense. There are too many times where it honestly looks like we're playing man defense but DLo is playing zone...he's not close to anybody! So many times I see him drifting into the paint, often pointing to his teammates to pick up their man, while he completely loses track of the guy he is supposed to be guarding! What makes it even more maddening is that, even though he is in the paint, he more often than not offers little or no resistance to an opponent driving to the hoop. Finchie does his best to hide him on defense (like last night where he was asked to guard the offensively-challenged Jevon Carter), but teams still regularly target him by forcing switches onto bigger offensive threats. I saw some flashes of defensive hustle and effectiveness last season, but I think his defense this season has been a disaster. I actually am not as troubled as others by his shooting inconsistency, and have praised his offensive game in several posts (although I'd like to see him work more pick and rolls with Rudy). But I've found his defense this season to be consistently and alarmingly bad, and a major reason for our struggles to date. You simply aren't going to win many games playing 4 on 5 on defense.

Focus on him tonight, and tell me what you really think about his defense.

Happy New Year, FNG! :). Like you, I stayed home tonight. I may or may not watch the recording tomorrow. Just not sure I can stomach it.

Out of frustration, I've sold all my remaining tickets until mid-February. Abe captured my sentiments perfectly in a recent post when he referred to watching the Wolves offense as soul-sapping or something to that effect. This is a bad team and they're painful to watch. That was true when KAT and Gobert were both playing and even more true when it was just Gobert. It's been better without Gobert on the floor in my view, but they this team just doesn't have enough talent with Towns out. TC fundamentally reshaped a roster that didn't need reshaping. He handed Finch a square peg and expected him to fit it into a round hole. Shockingly, it hasn't worked. As hard as Finch may push, it just won't fit.

As for DLO, I'll make a point of focusing on his defense when I'm at my next Wolves game in mid-February - assuming DLO's still with the team. But as I've mentioned before, DLO was a key part of a core that won 46 games last season and DLO's play was especially crucial in the play-in game against the Clippers. Of course, it's fair to say that DLO's poor play was largely responsible for the Wolves losing the Memphis series. But again, we all know DLO's a mixed bag. Whether this team should move on from DLO next season really depends in my view on how much it would cost to keep him and, more importantly, who would replace him as the team's starting PG. I've thought for a long time that the perfect fit for this team at PG would be a healthy Lonzo Ball. Will he ever be healthy? If so, is he gettable and at what price? Are there other viable alternatives who would fit better and be an overall upgrade over DLO? I don't know. But if the Wolves let DLO walk and otherwise brought back the exact same roster next season would the team be any better than it is now? I don't think so.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Camden wrote:Part of me hopes D'Angelo Russell actually does walk and leaves this franchise in the dust. This fan base as a whole just doesn't deserve him, doesn't appreciate him. He rarely gets the appropriate credit he warrants while simultaneously receiving more criticism than is necessary. And it's been that way since the day he was acquired.

The truth is that this franchise needs him badly given the realistic alternatives at point guard and the win-now territory they put themselves in. Extending or re-signing him should still be one of their top priorities. Letting him leave in free agency would be a significant mistake.

DLO sucks ass and I honestly don't see many teams wanting him at anywhere near what he thinks he's worth. Inefficient shot hunter, who is lackadaisical with handling the ball, fails to get the whole team involved, bad defender and kind of weird dude who seems more interested in getting paid and padding his stats, than winning. Are you related to DLO or just have a mad crush on him? I'll celebrate when DLO is gone!
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

KG4Ever wrote:
Camden wrote:Part of me hopes D'Angelo Russell actually does walk and leaves this franchise in the dust. This fan base as a whole just doesn't deserve him, doesn't appreciate him. He rarely gets the appropriate credit he warrants while simultaneously receiving more criticism than is necessary. And it's been that way since the day he was acquired.

DLO sucks ass and I honestly don't see many teams wanting him at anywhere near what he thinks he's worth. Inefficient shot hunter, who is lackadaisical with handling the ball, fails to get the whole team involved, bad defender and kind of weird dude who seems more interested in getting paid and padding his stats, than winning. Are you related to DLO or just have a mad crush on him? I'll celebrate when DLO is gone!

I don't think Dlo sucks ass but he is an inconsistent solid player and we need more than that for how this roster is constructed (that is not a rip on Dlo)

I think the wolves have 4 players that make everyone better offensively and that is Dlo, Jmac, Kat and Slow-Mo. Now 2 of those guys have been out the majority of the year and Slow Mo has been in and out.

The version of the wolves goes how Dlo goes and he is super inconsistent. He is shooting 9% worse in losses than wins what I get Dlo is what he is but this version with the injuries nobody can provide for others when Dlo is struggling with his shot. Don't have Jmac to create for others, don't have Kat gravitational pull of defenses to help others succeed, Anderson is solid but he is in and out, Ant at this point of his career does not make others better with him being 1 of 2 players leading his team in turnovers but not in the top 2 in assists (Poole the other) and him and Jalen Green the bottom 2 in AST % in the top 50 in usage, Ant at the moment does not make others better. Nowell development has been shockingly bad and is a shabazz and mccants type player. Rivers is not a playmaker, Mcdaniels doesn't create for others, and Forbes and Ryan are one trick ponies. Naz has been good but not a playmaker.

And that is where the problem is. Dlo is inconsistent but he is by far the best current playmaker the wolves have but when the shot isn't falling he is a massively liability on offense and defense.

Dlo isn't the problem but because of his own inconsistency I don't think he is the solution either (that honestly isn't a rip because I do think he is solid but inconsistent). Roster lacks ball movement players who play as a unit and without that we don't have those dogs anymore to make up for that, I do think people overrated Vando/Beasley/Pat Bev but without the playmaking because of injuries we are missing their dog.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

kekgeek1 wrote:I think the wolves have 4 players that make everyone better offensively and that is Dlo, Jmac, Kat and Slow-Mo. Now 2 of those guys have been out the majority of the year and Slow Mo has been in and out.

The version of the wolves goes how Dlo goes and he is super inconsistent. He is shooting 9% worse in losses than wins what I get Dlo is what he is but this version with the injuries nobody can provide for others when Dlo is struggling with his shot. Don't have Jmac to create for others, don't have Kat gravitational pull of defenses to help others succeed, Anderson is solid but he is in and out, Ant at this point of his career does not make others better with him being 1 of 2 players leading his team in turnovers but not in the top 2 in assists (Poole the other) and him and Jalen Green the bottom 2 in AST % in the top 50 in usage, Ant at the moment does not make others better. Nowell development has been shockingly bad and is a shabazz and mccants type player. Rivers is not a playmaker, Mcdaniels doesn't create for others, and Forbes and Ryan are one trick ponies. Naz has been good but not a playmaker.

And that is where the problem is. Dlo is inconsistent but he is by far the best current playmaker the wolves have [s]but when the shot isn't falling he is a massively liability on offense and defense.[/s]

The bolded sentences or fragments, if you will, are what I agree with most from your comment.

1. The Timberwolves are short on shot creators, or playmakers, which puts an excessive amount of pressure on those four that you listed to not only be available, but to play well. An off-night or inability to suit up from any one of them let alone multiple places a significant strain on the rest of the team. This is also an issue that doesn't get solved by trading D'Angelo Russell or allowing him to walk, as I've noted before, but rather it makes it much worse.

2. Specifically, it would appear that the offense goes as Russell goes because when he's aggressive he's making shots and finding scoring opportunities for teammates. When he's overly comfortable deferring to Anthony Edwards in isolation or even playing too much in isolation himself, is when the offense breaks down and stalls. It's also why the offense should have been built to include a heavy dose of spread pick-and-roll involving our main ball-handlers and the All-NBA center this organization traded a premium to acquire. That was supposedly one of the reasons for making the trade and it's been severely underutilized all season. Go figure.

3. Minnesota's youth has a long way to go. Anthony Edwards is supremely-gifted, but until he can consistently impact the game without scoring the basketball he'll never become the championship-level cornerstone they need him to be. And that involves becoming a much smarter basketball player -- one that moves without the ball, engages in his defensive matchup no matter who it is, and makes the right play over the flashy play on a routine basis. Currently, at the young age of 21, he doesn't do any of those things consistently.

Jaden McDaniels is another guy that teases a high-impact game, but I'm not confident his outside shot will ever become dangerous enough to punish defenses for leaving him open, and his inability or unwillingness to rebound the basketball -- despite his physical tools -- is beyond frustrating. Add to that the limited playmaking potential and we have a role player who might not be good enough in his role (if he doesn't get better).

4. D-Lo has certainly earned a reputation for being inconsistent, but I think he's actually been less streaky this season and avoided any long cold spells. He's scored in double-digits in 28 out of 35 games this season and shot over 40-percent from the floor in 24 out of 35 games this season. Arbitrary measures, admittedly, but my point is that he's produced way more often than not this year from a scoring standpoint and his assist numbers remain above average for his position -- all while his usage has taken yet another step back, though I'm not sold that's a good thing.

Anyways, Russell is by far this team's best playmaker and likely the best that they could realistically hope to obtain this summer. That's the truth of the matter. Removing him from the roster just creates even more holes.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

LOL.

I don't think it's just the Timberwolves fanbase that's a bit sour on Russell. He has a decent to meh to poor reputation from talking heads (both questionable and legit sources). He was jettisoned by the Warriors in a hurry.

He's fine... maybe not as bad as some people make him out to be... and likewise... not as good or put-out unfairly as Camden makes him out to be. There's nothing in his career to this point to suggest the Wolves will rue the day Russell moves on. It's been three years and he's been fine. Nothing more.

He's simply a slightly below average starting PG in the NBA. And because he makes $30M... his flaws or limitations are more obvious.

Bring him back at $14M - $18M, and he could be a bargain and really important in the rotation. It's all about roles and expectations. For example, is Jordan Clarkson better than Russell? No. But he's regarded in a more favorable light by many because he makes less than 1/2 as much.

Bring Russell back on another bloated contract? Nah. Don't really see what that proves.

[Note: And yes... I realize the bind that not bringing Russell back puts on the Wolves. But that's just yet another reason to rip Connelly for the construction of this team.]
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

If that happened the Wolves might not win anymore Championships or Playoff Series! They might not even lose 6 games in a row, oh wait they did that.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:LOL.

I don't think it's just the Timberwolves fanbase that's a bit sour on Russell. He has a decent to meh to poor reputation from talking heads (both questionable and legit sources). He was jettisoned by the Warriors in a hurry.

He's fine... maybe not as bad as some people make him out to be... and likewise... not as good or put-out unfairly as Camden makes him out to be. There's nothing in his career to this point to suggest the Wolves will rue the day Russell moves on. It's been three years and he's been fine. Nothing more.

He's simply a slightly below average starting PG in the NBA. And because he makes $30M... his flaws or limitations are more obvious.

Bring him back at $14M - $18M, and he could be a bargain and really important in the rotation. It's all about roles and expectations. For example, is Jordan Clarkson better than Russell? No. But he's regarded in a more favorable light by many because he makes less than 1/2 as much.

Bring Russell back on another bloated contract? Nah. Don't really see what that proves.

[Note: And yes... I realize the bind that not bringing Russell back puts on the Wolves. But that's just yet another reason to rip Connelly for the construction of this team.]

EXXXXACTLY! And I wanted this at least addressed in some concrete form. Connelly now has to hit gold with his lone 2nd rounder in 2023, but he put himself in that position. If a side effect to getting Rudy Gobert was being stuck with D'Lo for the foreseeable future at a dollar amount and role he doesn't deserve, that's on Tim. Losing his salary slot hurts, but I don't see what having his slot will produce for us since we can't attach anything to it. D'Lo's salary is filler for a star that's never coming.

This isn't like Wiggins where there were still believers in him who would coddle him to success. I don't think other teams view him as something to salvage in his role. Other teams will just shove him into their 6th man role, a role he'll never accept here because it's a massive demotion.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

WildWolf2813 wrote:

EXXXXACTLY! And I wanted this at least addressed in some concrete form. Connelly now has to hit gold with his lone 2nd rounder in 2023, but he put himself in that position. If a side effect to getting Rudy Gobert was being stuck with D'Lo for the foreseeable future at a dollar amount and role he doesn't deserve, that's on Tim. Losing his salary slot hurts, but I don't see what having his slot will produce for us since we can't attach anything to it. D'Lo's salary is filler for a star that's never coming.

This isn't like Wiggins where there were still believers in him who would coddle him to success. I don't think other teams view him as something to salvage in his role. Other teams will just shove him into their 6th man role, a role he'll never accept here because it's a massive demotion.

Because of the bind that the team is in with Russell... it's conceivable that the Timberwolves will have the most overpaid starting PG and C in the league within a couple of years.

There's a very good chance Russell can demand more from MN than any other team. And we already know the Timberwolves put more value on Gobert than any other team.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
WildWolf2813 wrote:

Because of the bind that the team is in with Russell... it's conceivable that the Timberwolves will have the most overpaid starting PG and C in the league within a couple of years.

There's a very good chance Russell can demand more from MN than any other team. And we already know the Timberwolves put more value on Gobert than any other team.

TC is not an idiot. He wasn't offering an extension to DLO in the offseason. If by chance he did come back here and is not traded then he is taking a massive paycut. We already have been getting better production from JMac then from DLO, now tell me why we would pay DLO when just about any PG can produce better results (no offense to JMac but he isn't exactly an All Star)? I could see a team wanting to cut salary and trading for him, we get a decent player on more years and pick.