Let’s Make a Deal — NBA Trade Edition

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Let’s Make a Deal — NBA Trade Edition

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

monsterpile wrote:How do Smart and Derrick White compare to each other?

Marcus Smart's reputation has exceeded his on-court value for years now. He's a much lesser threat offensively than Derrick White, especially as a ball-handler and shot creator. They both struggle with inconsistent perimeter shooting. The key difference in their value to me is that White is the much better individual defender at both guard positions. He guards ones and twos as well as anyone else in the league. Smart's value defensively comes in the form of versatility as he's a capable defender of 1-4, which plays well in a switching concept. No longer can he truly take on the toughest perimeter player on a nightly basis and take them out of their rhythm, though.

BPM/VORP
White: 1.5/1.2
Smart: -0.3/0.6

White also has three-years, $53-million left on his deal after this year. Smart has four-years, $77-million left on his deal. Give me White all day.

The Celtics recently explored a deal with the Timberwolves that would have sent veteran wing Josh Richardson and "one of either Romeo Langford (or) Aaron Nesmith" to Minnesota in return for guard Malik Beasley, The Athletic's Jared Weiss and Jon Krawczynski reported Wednesday.

According to Weiss, talks stalled because the Wolves "sought to maintain flexibility for bigger moves at the deadline."

Wow. I hope Minnesota's front office keeps this deal in their back pocket. That would be an awesome return for Malik Beasley, in my opinion. Josh Richardson and Aaron Nesmith is an absolute haul. Richardson has been the better player this year between him and Beasley and Nesmith has a medium-high ceiling centered on his shooting prowess and size. I would support that move if it ever came to fruition.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Camden wrote:
The Celtics recently explored a deal with the Timberwolves that would have sent veteran wing Josh Richardson and "one of either Romeo Langford (or) Aaron Nesmith" to Minnesota in return for guard Malik Beasley, The Athletic's Jared Weiss and Jon Krawczynski reported Wednesday.

According to Weiss, talks stalled because the Wolves "sought to maintain flexibility for bigger moves at the deadline."

Wow. I hope Minnesota's front office keeps this deal in their back pocket. That would be an awesome return for Malik Beasley, in my opinion. Josh Richardson and Aaron Nesmith is an absolute haul. Richardson has been the better player this year between him and Beasley and Nesmith has a medium-high ceiling centered on his shooting prowess and size. I would support that move if it ever came to fruition.

They should have just immediately said, "OK, deal. Where do we sign?"

We don't need a big ticket player. That trade really improves our bench. Then look at a smaller trade with Layman and 2nds for a dump to OKC or a situational big. I believe we still have the Rubio exception too.

TheFuture wrote:
Camden wrote:

We don't need a big ticket player. That trade really improves our bench. Then look at a smaller trade with Layman and 2nds for a dump to OKC or a situational big. I believe we still have the Rubio exception too.

I'd still like to see Minnesota explore a trade for Harrison Barnes or even Derrick White before finalizing something like the reported deal with Boston, but it's a favorable deal for us no doubt in my mind. I hope both teams have kept that one tabled for now.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
Camden wrote:

I'd still like to see Minnesota explore a trade for Harrison Barnes or even Derrick White before finalizing something like the reported deal with Boston, but it's a favorable deal for us no doubt in my mind. I hope both teams have kept that one tabled for now.

Eh I'm cool with the Wolves keep looking for something better than that deal with the Celtics. Richardson has a better all around game that Beasley (not exactly a high bar) but he is inconsistent also and I don't think his impact matches what some fans think of him as. It's possibly Beasley's shooting comes around and Richardson is the guy that stops hitting 3's. Adding another player means more salary than just Beasley which could be a Lux tax concern and also lock in that 15th roster spot. Langford and Nesmith are both reasonably interesting I guess but it's kind of a shuffle the deck chairs deal. I think Richardson would be a solid fit but I'm not rushing anyone to the airport for this one to happen.

We also don't know what else the Wolves have discussed. Maybe there is another team/s interested in Beasley or something bigger. If the Celtics were wanting to do that deal...it makes me think there are some other teams that are willing to give up some decent value in a buy low type trade for him.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden wrote:

Marcus Smart's reputation has exceeded his on-court value for years now. He's a much lesser threat offensively than Derrick White, especially as a ball-handler and shot creator. They both struggle with inconsistent perimeter shooting. The key difference in their value to me is that White is the much better individual defender at both guard positions. He guards ones and twos as well as anyone else in the league. Smart's value defensively comes in the form of versatility as he's a capable defender of 1-4, which plays well in a switching concept. No longer can he truly take on the toughest perimeter player on a nightly basis and take them out of their rhythm, though.

BPM/VORP

White also has three-years, $53-million left on his deal after this year. Smart has four-years, $77-million left on his deal. Give me White all day.

The question I have is which one of those guys would cost more in terms of assets? I think I saw the other night that nobody scored when Smart was matched up with them. I agree with you that the last year of Smart's deal that's 22 million is worrisome.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Camden wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
Camden wrote:

White no doubt would be the better individual player, but the Celtics trade solidifies our wing positions much more and most importantly bolsters our bench. Without giving up additional assets like our 1st.

I think Barnes would be a great fit, but isn't he on an expiring, or does he have one more year? Either way, we would have to cough up more assets in that trade too.

I like this team as comprised when healthy, and think a small tweak like that Celtics trade is the better option.

I also agree with Monster that the Wolves should be reaching out on moving Reid, as I don't see us retaining him after this year at what he is actually worth. I see some team like the hornets overpaying him. Layman, Reid, 2nds for a big should be doable.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Camden wrote:

BPM/VORP

Sure.

And maybe I missed it... but is White available?

I'd think he'd cost more than Marcus Smart for the reasons you outline.

monsterpile wrote:Eh I'm cool with the Wolves keep looking for something better than that deal with the Celtics. Richardson has a better all around game that Beasley (not exactly a high bar) but he is inconsistent also and I don't think his impact matches what some fans think of him as. It's possibly Beasley's shooting comes around and Richardson is the guy that stops hitting 3's. Adding another player means more salary than just Beasley which could be a Lux tax concern and also lock in that 15th roster spot. Langford and Nesmith are both reasonably interesting I guess but it's kind of a shuffle the deck chairs deal. I think Richardson would be a solid fit but I'm not rushing anyone to the airport for this one to happen.

We also don't know what else the Wolves have discussed. Maybe there is another team/s interested in Beasley or something bigger. If the Celtics were wanting to do that deal...it makes me think there are some other teams that are willing to give up some decent value in a buy low type trade for him.

Yep, I agree that Minnesota should be looking to acquire a better player than Josh Richardson, but this is a great fallback option if nothing else materializes for either team. The issue with Malik Beasley is that if his shot isn't falling he provides no on-court value -- rather he actually hurts the team because he's terribly unaware on the defensive end. Richardson is still graded positively on that end while providing more efficient scoring albeit with lesser volume. Simply, Richardson has been a positive impact player this year and Beasley has not. That's not even getting into the discussion of trade value, future salary, and the added compensation of getting a young prospect in return. Richardson would help this team more than Beasley does.

Minnesota has an open roster spot that they could use on Nesmith (or Romeo Langford) and they'd be receiving $754,564 more in salary for this year, which would still leave them under the luxury tax threshold by roughly $100,000. I'd imagine that the Wolves will continue to shop, but if this trade happened it wouldn't be the worst thing whatsoever.

monsterpile wrote:
Camden wrote:

BPM/VORP

The question I have is which one of those guys would cost more in terms of assets? I think I saw the other night that nobody scored when Smart was matched up with them. I agree with you that the last year of Smart's deal that's 22 million is worrisome.

Not at all meaning to sound condescending here, but the better player on the more favorable contract is going to cost more in assets. Derrick White should be worth more on the trade market, and deservedly so.

That entire deal for Marcus Smart is awful, in my opinion. I get that Boston was stuck in a hard place, but he's just not that kind of player.