Shabazz Expelled From NBA Rookie Transition Program

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Shabazz Expelled From NBA Rookie Transition Program

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

At a minimum you're ignorant and we obviously don't see eye to eye on practically anything. You get such opinions from me not thinking this whole Shabazz thing is an issue and the fact I think the Wolves will be better than what you think. Can't wait for the season, though. That's my last comment to you man.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

worldK wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:Wild -- You're right about one thing. I will definitely bring this up in every game report following a poor performance by Shabazz. :). Unfortunately, I suspect there will be a lot of them.

Lip, I dont think you will bring this up much in your game reports next season mainly because I believe Shabazz will be a constant dnp-cd and d-league player next season. Unless, he starts acting out while seating on the end of the bench or you start doing game reports on the d-league..I dont think he matters much next season.

Good point, World. :). Damn! Then again, maybe he will act out on the end of the bench. Maybe he'll have a got babe sitting in his lap.
whatdtcom [enjin:6685945]

Post by whatdtcom [enjin:6685945] »

Cam,

When I said take half of his pay, it's kind of that tough love situation. These kids will never get it! What they potentially make in one year (ONE million bucks) is equal to 10 years for the majority of the people make here (100K per?), yet they go and risk it by doing something stupid as not being able to wait 4 days! Why? Because they know that they will only get a slap on the wrist fine!! Like I said, drop the hammer down and make the fine so substantial that no one will want to do it again.

This rookie transition program was meant to educate them on the pitfalls of their newfound liberties as a ball player. Yet he can not keep his head focus for just 4 measly days. There's just somethings that are certain and we hope that his future decision making abilities is not repetitive. We hope that he learns from this---but I fear that it won't. I mean why should it....he's the "phenom15balla" that every kisses his @ss since HS.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

whatdtcom wrote:Cam,

When I said take half of his pay, it's kind of that tough love situation. These kids will never get it! What they potentially make in one year (ONE million bucks) is equal to 10 years for the majority of the people make here (100K per?), yet they go and risk it by doing something stupid as not being able to wait 4 days! Why? Because they know that they will only get a slap on the wrist fine!! Like I said, drop the hammer down and make the fine so substantial that no one will want to do it again.

This rookie transition program was meant to educate them on the pitfalls of their newfound liberties as a ball player. Yet he can not keep his head focus for just 4 measly days. There's just somethings that are certain and we hope that his future decision making abilities is not repetitive. We hope that he learns from this---but I fear that it won't. I mean why should it....he's the "phenom15balla" that every kisses his @ss since HS.

Yeah, but... Okay, I get where you're coming from. I just think it's kind of a silly/stupid thing to get fined harshly for. He should have waited til the program was over. You're right about that.
JDvikes [enjin:6536888]

Post by JDvikes [enjin:6536888] »

Nothing gets you prepared for the NBA life like having to say no to a woman who wants to have sex with you!
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Nice JD. I'm with The Doper on this. It's a dumb rule and altogether a dumb idea for rookies to attend this. They're adults now and should be treated as such. Immature-yes. But still adults.

I love the hypocricy here by the NBA. No women for a 4 day "leadership conference" but once the season starts, you do whatever you want and have as many women in your room as you want.

FAN Tastic!
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Camden wrote:At a minimum you're ignorant and we obviously don't see eye to eye on practically anything. You get such opinions from me not thinking this whole Shabazz thing is an issue and the fact I think the Wolves will be better than what you think. Can't wait for the season, though. That's my last comment to you man.

Did you really just go there? The hallmark of the ESPN board was that we didn't resort to personal attacks and could disagree without making it personal. No reason to get butt hurt because I don't agree with everything you say.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

BizarroJerry wrote:Nice JD. I'm with The Doper on this. It's a dumb rule and altogether a dumb idea for rookies to attend this. They're adults now and should be treated as such. Immature-yes. But still adults.

I love the hypocricy here by the NBA. No women for a 4 day "leadership conference" but once the season starts, you do whatever you want and have as many women in your room as you want.

FAN Tastic!

BBT, this is done for the rookies benefit. It's not supposed to be a punishment. If I'm a player I take the 4 days and try to develop some tools that will aid me as I transition into the league. You get to hear speakers that have been through the difficulties of sudden fame and fortune. If you're willing to invest some energy into the event, I can only believe it will help you in the long run.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

I understand what the goal is here Breeze. But it seems pointless and I'm sure most of the info goes in one ear and out the other.
Leado01

Post by Leado01 »

I've worked for a 2 Fortune 500 software firms that gave you multiple opportunities to hang yourself (unlimited bar tabs during training with mandatory happy hours) and both times watched people screw up their career by either showing up late for sessions or falling asleep during training (immediate dismissal) or in one instance I watched a woman stand up on the bar and announce "I'd go to War with any of you mother . . . . . .". The point is, in both of those instances you were required to maintain some decorum and follow a few simple rules.

I don't think the rules regarding not having women in your room are stupid and it doesn't matter if they are. The real world is full of hypocrisy and you need to overcome it and play along until you can get into a position to change the rules you believe are stupid.

There is a punishment in place for his breaking the rules (he has to attend again next year which is a bit demeaning). It's not the end of his career (Mario Chalmers has turned out ok). It's not stupid - and there's no need for us to debate the rule.

I'm going to be a lot more interested in how he reacts to playing a very specific role in limited minutes, and what that role will be.
1965-2023
"He Meant Well"