The Case for Juancho

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

The Case for Juancho

Post by Monster »

The case for Juancho

I've been thinking more about Juancho I some small respect because of the Beasley situation but also because I've been trying to decide whether it's worth offering him the 4.6 million qualifying offer to make him a FA. What value does he currently have and what could he be?

Considering Juancho going forward is based on him being a relatively inexpensive player that is paid like a bench player not some fringe starter or high level rotation guy. I'm talking absolute max of a 5 million a year guy. I'm probably looking at him as someone I'd be comfortable with a Jake Layman type contract or less but here is why I think Juancho could be a guy worth giving some money and a roster spot for this franchise.

Let's start with something I don't think many people know. He played a lot of his minutes the first couple years with the Nuggets at SF. That brings down his rebounding numbers a bit. He still isn't a high level rebounder but it's something to consider. Juancho as a SF isn't a wild stretch. He is pretty athletic moves well and has a nice looking shot. I'm not suggesting he is a SF but he is a pretty mobile guy with some actual skills.

He just turned 25 and both good and bad he has had other guys in front of him and along with getting mono and some other injuries there may simply be some upside still. What if he is actually a good 3 point shooter like he LOOKS like he should be? Suddenly his value would be fairly high relatively speaking.

What's the vision for Juancho? I see him as a possible valuable rotation guy in the mold of Anthony Tolliver. I could also see him as a SG version of Bjelica. Juancho has the basic skill set to be able to move around take quick 3's etc. He has skills to take the ball to the basket...but he needs to be judicious about when he does it. Bjelica is a guy with playmaking ability for his size. He is actually a good shooter but he isn't a guy that comes of movement and let's it fly. Bjelica didn't come over to the NBA till he was what like 27? Is it possible that Juancho eventually finds his way in the league too? I believe here is some skill there.

How long has this team looked for a perimeter oriented guy with Juancho's size? I've heard nothing but high praise for his character and unselfishness. He is a guy that will accept a role although I do think confidence is an issue for him. I just see a guy with some nice skills athletic ability and size and think if it clicks even decently you would have something relatively worthwhile. We don't know if Jake Layman is actually for real in that way or not but we liked what we saw from him. Getting another guy like that if Juancho achieved that status would help the roster.

Again I'm looking at Juancho only if he can be signed for fairly cheap money. If some team want to offer him too much money fine let him go. I think bringing him back for a cheap 3 year deal where he plays as a solid bench guy could pay off. He might even be able to play some minutes as a 3 like Bjelica did. Remember I'm valuing him as a bench guy and paid like one. He doesn't have to be amazing to live up to that and have worth.

One reasonable question to ask is why not keep Spellman instead? I wouldn't be against that but I do see Juancho as a better athlete who again IF he ever got it could be really worthwhile. Meanwhile I'm guessing Spellman will be moved for some small value because of his skill and because he is cheap. Hopefully the Wolves are able to bring back Juancho for not a whole lot more than what Spellman would have cost (just under 2 million this year and a team option for the following year for over 3.5 million). Juancho and Vanderbilt could make an interesting combo of guys to play at different points of a game or based on how the game is going. Maybe you need a guy that can get hit from 3 off the bench. Maybe you need a hustle rebounding guy that does shit. Play Vanderbilt. Of course it could be that neither guy is really worth much at all at the NBA level. That's probably more likely than them being worthwhile but cheap interesting talent is what good teams do well with and we aspire to be that. I think Juancho has a reasonable chance to have a role on a good NBA roster...at the right price.