Wolves are attempting to add another lotto pick

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Wolves are attempting to add another lotto pick

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Yeah, after pondering the idea a bit longer, this would appear to be a move that comes after trade discussions with another team. For instance, the Wolves have likely been tossing Jarrett Culver around in trade talks and teams perhaps like the idea of a top-10 pick versus him. So, Minnesota is exploring a route to get another one.

I'm okay with that assuming a deal can get done for Ben Simmons, Devin Booker, or Bradley Beal, but outside of that I think it's mismanagement. And if is for one of those three, then I'd have to commend Gersson Rosas for exploring multiple avenues to get the right assets that a team would want in return for their All-Star player.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:Yeah, after pondering the idea a bit longer, this would appear to be a move that comes after trade discussions with another team. For instance, the Wolves have likely been tossing Jarrett Culver around in trade talks and teams perhaps like the idea of a top-10 pick versus him. So, Minnesota is exploring a route to get another one.

I'm okay with that assuming a deal can get done for Ben Simmons, Devin Booker, or Bradley Beal, but outside of that I think it's mismanagement. And if is for one of those three, then I'd have to commend Gersson Rosas for exploring multiple avenues to get the right assets that a team would want in return for their All-Star player.

That's exactly what I was thinking, Cam. I was thinking teams the Wolves have been negotiating with have communicated a preference for any number of potential top 10 picks over Culver. Like you, if the Wolves do this reported deal with Atlanta and parley the #6 pick into Simmons or Beal then I'll commend Rosas for a job well done. If not, then I'm not sure what to think.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Where would Culver be drafted in this draft knowing what we know now.

Here is where I'm torn if Culver doesn't show improvement this year he loses all his value. This could be the last year Culver legit has any sort of value. But I'm still high on Culver, if the trade happens I'll be torn.

I will say though I will respect Rosas if he trades Culver, think a good GM is one who gets value out of his mistakes instead of trying to make something work because he drafted a guy high
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

kekgeek1 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:https://twitter.com/kevinoconnornba/status/1326533752193945600?s=21

I legit wonder with the news about Harden not sure about the Rockets future. Something like this will happen.

Rockets get #1, #6, #17 and a future 1st

Hawks get Culver and Cov

Wolves get Simmons

76ers get Harden

That would be a monumental shift for Houston... wasn't it just a year or so ago when it was rumored that the Rockets were willing to ditch all of its draft picks?

Now, they'd be getting rid of superstar talent for a complete rebuild from the ground up?

Even if the new guy is the antithesis of Morey, I'm not sure if the owner or fans would be up for that.
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:https://twitter.com/kevinoconnornba/status/1326533752193945600?s=21

I legit wonder with the news about Harden not sure about the Rockets future. Something like this will happen.

Hawks get Culver and Cov

Wolves get Simmons

76ers get Harden

That would be a monumental shift for Houston... wasn't it just a year or so ago when it was rumored that the Rockets were willing to ditch all of its draft picks?

Now, they'd be getting rid of superstar talent for a complete rebuild from the ground up?

Even if the new guy is the antithesis of Morey, I'm not sure if the owner or fans would be up for that.

Let's see the Rockets couldn't agree to a deal with a vet head coach in D'Antoni...there were reports it was about money as one part of it. I like Stephen Silas he might be a good hire but I'm guessing he will cost a lot less than D'Antoni. Hell its POSSIBLE D'Antoni makes more as just an assistant for the Nets. The Rockets longtime GM considered very good left and was unemployed for 2 weeks before the Sixers hired him. Since the new owner was hired Morey has been making cost savings moves every year. I think he even saved money For last year in the Covington deal and likely for this year. After Morey left they hired from within a guy that apparently wasn't higher on the Kings list of possible GMs it seems. We shouldn't trust the Kings decisions but that's interesting. I'm not saying the Rockets will trade Harden and go another direction but... based on what I have been seeing it wouldn't shock me THAT much and some team would likely give them a pretty nice package to rebuild with. They could move Covington next for some worthwhile assets. They would suck but the owner would save money I bet and at least one asset they would get back from the Harden deal would sell hope.
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek1 wrote:If the Wolves trade for #6 do they think Ball will be there at #6

Wolves take Wiseman
Warriors take Edwards
Hornets take the USC center (not sure how to spell it)
Bulls might take ball but I doubt it
Cavs won't pick another PG will they

Then Ball is on the board before the 2 teams of the Pistons and Knicks who want a PG pick.

I don't like Ball but I would gamble on Ball if he was the 2nd 1st round pick

FWIW on the Lowe podcast there was a lot of talk about the Bulls being VERY high on Ball and even looking to trade up. That makes sense White isn't really a PG (Might not be a starter) and LaVine Isn't a PG either but that would make an interesting guard rotation along with Satoranski who has the size to play some SF. They also said the new GM could do just about anything people don't have a good feel On what he might do so Melo could go there.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

kekgeek1 wrote:If the Wolves trade for #6 do they think Ball will be there at #6

Wolves take Wiseman
Warriors take Edwards
Hornets take the USC center (not sure how to spell it)
Bulls might take ball but I doubt it
Cavs won't pick another PG will they

Then Ball is on the board before the 2 teams of the Pistons and Knicks who want a PG pick.

I don't like Ball but I would gamble on Ball if he was the 2nd 1st round pick

I wouldn't have my eyes on Ball unless I was looking to trade down to a team that fell in love with him.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Getting another pick around the same value as last year for culver would be a huge plus for me. Culver didnt look like he belonged in the league last year and on any decent team had no business cracking the lineup. Any improvement and he is at best a 7th or 8th man on a good team. Yes please on this deal.

Also, does two lotto picks get us Booker?
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

Hawks get Culver and Cov

Wolves get Simmons

76ers get Harden

Let's see the Rockets couldn't agree to a deal with a vet head coach in D'Antoni...there were reports it was about money as one part of it. I like Stephen Silas he might be a good hire but I'm guessing he will cost a lot less than D'Antoni. Hell its POSSIBLE D'Antoni makes more as just an assistant for the Nets. The Rockets longtime GM considered very good left and was unemployed for 2 weeks before the Sixers hired him. Since the new owner was hired Morey has been making cost savings moves every year. I think he even saved money For last year in the Covington deal and likely for this year. After Morey left they hired from within a guy that apparently wasn't higher on the Kings list of possible GMs it seems. We shouldn't trust the Kings decisions but that's interesting. I'm not saying the Rockets will trade Harden and go another direction but... based on what I have been seeing it wouldn't shock me THAT much and some team would likely give them a pretty nice package to rebuild with. They could move Covington next for some worthwhile assets. They would suck but the owner would save money I bet and at least one asset they would get back from the Harden deal would sell hope.

As I also said... might be a tough sell for the fans.

Imagine telling them... "We know we've had success for (xx) years playing to win... and even though we have one of the top 5 players of the decade right now still playing at an MVP level... we're going to try to emulate the Timberwolves, Magic and Kings model and hope to find really good players another way."
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

thedoper wrote:Getting another pick around the same value as last year for culver would be a huge plus for me. Culver didnt look like he belonged in the league last year and on any decent team had no business cracking the lineup. Any improvement and he is at best a 7th or 8th man on a good team. Yes please on this deal.

Also, does two lotto picks get us Booker?

Not a chance.

Phoenix is another team that finally is showing signs of progress. To say... meh... we're going to HOPE that we can find somebody else as good as Booker in a few years... seems like a terrible misstep.

Even if Booker demands out, I can't see the Suns doing it without having a player so they can avoid going back to the top of the lottery for several more seasons. Heck, they're rumored to be hot for Chris Paul right now... which should provide a good idea of their strategy.