Wiggins vaccination appeal denied

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
thedoper

Re: Wiggins vaccination appeal denied

Post by thedoper »

Its slows transmission by lowering the number of people in the population with a viral load. Vaccines have been doing this for years with great efficacy.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Vaccine mandates in America started with George Washington before our Nation's independence when, in January 1777, George Washington mandated inoculations for the soldiers under his command in the Continental Army. Washington wrote that, if smallpox were to break out, "we should have more to dread from it, than from the Sword of the Enemy."

The first law mandating vaccines in the US was enacted in the United States in 1809 for smallpox.

The Supreme Court first resolved the issue of mandatory vaccinations in 1905, ruling 7-2 in Jacobson v. Massachusetts that such mandates are constitutional. In that case, the Court upheld a Cambridge City ordinance that required smallpox vaccinations. The Court's opinion was written by Justice John Marshall Harlan,who was known for defending civil liberties. His opinion for the Court stated that the Constitution "does not import an absolute right in each person to be, at all times and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint," His opinion went on to state that "real liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own, whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others." In 1922, in another case, Justice Brandeis, writing for unanimous court, upheld childhood school mandates, calling it settled law.

By 1980, all 50 states required schoolchildren to be vaccinated against an array of diseases.

I'm not debating whether the Covid vaccine should or shouldn't be mandated. I'm just noting that vaccine mandates have been around in this Country for a long time and the constitutionality of those mandates has been upheld. It's what we lawyers call settled law. It is highly unlikely that the Supreme Court, yes even this conservative one, will strike down Covid vaccine mandates.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

thedoper wrote:Its slows transmission by lowering the number of people in the population with a viral load. Vaccines have been doing this for years with great efficacy.

My wife was a medical doctor and my sister is a college biology instructor. They would both echo your comment. My view on vaccinations is that we shouldn't have to mandate them. We should all want to get vaccinated for our own health and for the health of our family members, friends and fellow Americans.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

crazysauce wrote:Can someone explain the reason people are mandated to get a vaccine when it has zero, no impact on transmission between people? If it doesn't stop transmission or slow it than should it not be simply the person's choice.

Getting the vaccine greatly lowers your chance for hospitalization. More people who get vaccinated the more likely it is they we don't overwhelmed the health industry. That is some reason why mandates are in place
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

I want to say I don't want to make the a Pro-vaccine vs Anti-Vaccine thread. Just think it is a really interesting basketball situation the warriors are in if Wiggins doesn't get the vaccination.

They will be paying max money for a guy who will only play in half of the games. So he will become dlo :) (I had to)
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
thedoper wrote:Its slows transmission by lowering the number of people in the population with a viral load. Vaccines have been doing this for years with great efficacy.

My wife was a medical doctor and my sister is a college biology instructor. They would both echo your comment. My view on vaccinations is that we shouldn't have to mandate them. We should all want to get vaccinated for our own health and for the health of our family members, friends and fellow Americans.

Hospitals are often overloaded dealing with Covid cases in addition to the other care they provide. My sister in law who is a nurse midwife a few weeks ago was one of the medical professionals volunteering to go work at the hospital to help with the overloaded system in her area.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

According to molecular biologist Christina parks who spoke on house bill 4471 she stated that the vaccines do not impact transmission. https://youtu.be/nF4yVDt6RBw

Also if we are so concerned about having hospital beds why on earth are we forcing people to leave that do not get vaccinated. Seems to me you would want more workers not less.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

crazysauce wrote:Can someone explain the reason people are mandated to get a vaccine when it has zero, no impact on transmission between people? If it doesn't stop transmission or slow it than should it not be simply the person's choice.

I agree with your principle, crazysauce, that if a person's individual choices have no effect on anyone else, they should be allowed to make that choice. But while https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2021/new-data-on-covid-19-transmission-by-vaccinated-individualssome studies indicate that a vaccinated person with the Delta variant may be as likely to transmit it as a non vaccinated person with the same virus, a non vaccinated person is more likely to contract the virus in the first place. So non vaccinated people transmit the virus more because more of them are getting the virus.

Also, the more people get the virus, the more chances it has to mutate and become even more hostile. We've already seen what's happened with the Delta mutation. So people choosing to remain unvaccinated increases the threat to all of us that way too, and that's what really keeps epidemiologists up at night. We are in a race to stop this thing before it really gets bad, and the more people who remain unvaccinated, the closer we get to losing that race.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

crazysauce wrote:According to molecular biologist Christina parks who spoke on house bill 4471 she stated that the vaccines do not impact transmission. https://youtu.be/nF4yVDt6RBw

Also if we are so concerned about having hospital beds why on earth are we forcing people to leave that do not get vaccinated. Seems to me you would want more workers not less.

None of this is about public health anymore, if it ever was. We have many intelligent Americans in this country. Far too many have succumbed to the fear-mongering over a virus that kills less than two-percent of the people it actually infects. And of those deaths, about 79-percent (!) have been people 65-years and older. Those numbers are pulled from the CDC themselves who have been hit or miss throughout this entire process on their guidance.

Let's think logically here. In 2019, roughly 16.5-percent of the American population was 65-years old or over. Why are there even discussions of vaccine mandates when this virus primarily affects the elderly? Like I said before, 79-percent of COVID deaths have been people 65 and over, but yet they make up under 20-percent of the U.S. population. Perhaps the elderly should receive the vaccine as well as staying home and away from everybody else. Let the rest of the world operate under normal conditions. Enough is enough.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

One of the reasons that the strict vaccine mandates are challengeable in my opinion is that there are alternatives to the prevention of transmission of COVID, namely taking COVID tests. If you have people who have the vaccine and are not tested before being let into an arena, they could be carriers of COVID. If at the same time, Wiggins gets tested daily for COVID and comes up negative each test, he is actually safer to be around than the vaccinated person. To survive constitutional challenges, laws must be narrowly tailored to protect the public interest. Commonly, exemptions serve to do that. I suspect that some of the most strict vaccine laws may have to be rewritten to balance the public interest with individual liberties. The vaccine mandates are new ground and I suspect the supreme court will have the final say on this on where some of the lines get drawn unless legislative bodies make reasonable accommodations to their laws.