Wolves vs. Grizz (Game 1), GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Wolves vs. Grizz (Game 1), GDT

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:Layman seems like the kind of "does no harm and might even help a bit" player that fits really nice on an elite team. You've got a couple superstars and one or two elite role players and need a final starter to fill in your 5-man lineup? Jake's your man!

I do appreciate him the more I watch him, but we need more out of that position than a nice glue guy. Aaron Gordon becomes more appealing by the day!

I am REALLY rooting for one of the Culver/Okogie/Nowell trio to really pop this year because I kind of think Beasley is what he is and Edwards is a couple years away from....who knows?

Of that threesome you mention, I think Nowell will end up having the best career. Hope he gets a shot to play meaningful minutes this year.

And since we are judging everything based on one pre-season game, I agree! He certainly has a more natural feel and control than Okogie or Culver when you see him with the ball in his hands. I think he could blossom into a really nice SG.
FNG

Post by FNG »

monsterpile wrote:
FNG wrote:I agree with Camden that Beasley has to come off the bench, although I might differ with his choices for the 3 and 4. It sounds like Layman had a nice game last night, and there are aspects of his game that I like. But I think we are in big trouble this season if he is our best PF. 6-8", 207 and a short wingspan of only 6-9" might cut it if Jake were an exceptional athlete, but he's really only average at best athletically. I foresee serious problems on the boards and defensively if Jake is getting a lot of minutes at PF. His career average of 5 rebounds per 36 is far too substandard. We don't have any great other options, but I hope someone emerges as a better option than Sunshine.

Despite his very poor debut last night, I'm still holding out hope that the #1 pick in the draft proves to be our best option at SF. If Edwards just isn't ready, I would be looking to Culver as our starting 3. I like watching Okogie, but I'm afraid we know who is is- someone who can provide defensive energy off the bench, but not well-rounded enough to be an NBA starter.

But more important to me than who starts at the 3 and 4 is our starting (and perhaps finishing) backcourt. I take Ryan at his word that we shouldn't take too much out of last night's starting lineup, and I also wouldn't be surprised if he has already had a conversation with Ricky and told him that he will be the starting PG. Ryan is going to want to see what some of the new players (and even a 4-year veteran like Russell) can bring, so I expect to see a lot of preseason minutes for some who won't see the court much in the regular season. Ricky though doesn't have anything to prove to Ryan.

Edit: perhaps I misinterpreted Camden in suggesting his 5 were his choice for starting 5. He actually said those 5 might make up the most balanced lineup.

Actually Layman is a very good athlete.

Yeah, I think your assessment about that is correct, monsterpile- Layman was considered an above average athlete coming out of Maryland. But I still don't think that compensates for his below average size for a PF, and I think that is why he is statistically a far below average rebounder and (in my opinion) a below average defender. At 207 pounds Jake is almost 40 pounds lighter than the average NBA PF, and his wingspan is 3 1/2 inches shorter than the average. Jake was considered a SF coming out of college and has not gotten any longer or heavier. It's doing him (and us fans) a disservice to think he can play meaningful minutes at PF.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Didn't watch the game and probably won't watch many this upcoming season. The style of play Rosa and Co are looking at playing didn't work in Houston with a roster taylor made for it. It sure as hell ain't going to work with this mis mash roster we have.

We have a plefora of young propsect wings all vying for minutes and a front court lacking any depth. This aint going to be pretty. And just to add salt on the wound we don't currently have a 1st round pick in next years draft.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q12543 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:Layman seems like the kind of "does no harm and might even help a bit" player that fits really nice on an elite team. You've got a couple superstars and one or two elite role players and need a final starter to fill in your 5-man lineup? Jake's your man!

I do appreciate him the more I watch him, but we need more out of that position than a nice glue guy. Aaron Gordon becomes more appealing by the day!

I am REALLY rooting for one of the Culver/Okogie/Nowell trio to really pop this year because I kind of think Beasley is what he is and Edwards is a couple years away from....who knows?

Of that threesome you mention, I think Nowell will end up having the best career. Hope he gets a shot to play meaningful minutes this year.

And since we are judging everything based on one pre-season game, I agree! He certainly has a more natural feel and control than Okogie or Culver when you see him with the ball in his hands. I think he could blossom into a really nice SG.

Just watch. Rosas will cut Nowell in order to keep RHJ and still sign JMac.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

KiwiMatt wrote:Didn't watch the game and probably won't watch many this upcoming season. The style of play Rosa and Co are looking at playing didn't work in Houston with a roster taylor made for it. It sure as hell ain't going to work with this mis mash roster we have.

We have a plefora of young propsect wings all vying for minutes and a front court lacking any depth. This aint going to be pretty. And just to add salt on the wound we don't currently have a 1st round pick in next years draft.

Spot on Kiwi
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
KiwiMatt wrote:Didn't watch the game and probably won't watch many this upcoming season. The style of play Rosa and Co are looking at playing didn't work in Houston with a roster taylor made for it. It sure as hell ain't going to work with this mis mash roster we have.

Spot on Kiwi

Still disagree with the premise that the style the Rockets played failed. They were 1 game away or non injury away from a probable title in a era where maybe the greatest team of all time played. I think there style works (I hate watching it) with the correct talent around it
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

kekgeek1 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:

Spot on Kiwi

Still disagree with the premise that the style the Rockets played failed. They were 1 game away or non injury away from a probable title in a era where maybe the greatest team of all time played. I think there style works (I hate watching it) with the correct talent around it

Their biggest mistake was trading away Capella in my opinion. However I still doubt that style of play ever harvests an NBA title. You could argue GSW, but they didn't take it to the extreme of what Houston did. Running PJ Tucker at center and jacking up 3pt shots on every single possesion. You still need an inside game in todays NBA.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

KiwiMatt wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:

Spot on Kiwi

Their biggest mistake was trading away Capella in my opinion. However I still doubt that style of play ever harvests an NBA title. You could argue GSW, but they didn't take it to the extreme of what Houston did. Running PJ Tucker at center and jacking up 3pt shots on every single possesion. You still need an inside game in todays NBA.

Golden State won relying on the trey, but they did it with ball and player movement. They were masterful at running their offense. Houston's game was simply to line the arc with capable shooters and drive and kick. Or Harden would just create space and shoot it. Big difference between the two systems.
Monster

Post by Monster »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
KiwiMatt wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:

Spot on Kiwi

Golden State won relying on the trey, but they did it with ball and player movement. They were masterful at running their offense. Houston's game was simply to line the arc with capable shooters and drive and kick. Or Harden would just create space and shoot it. Big difference between the two systems.

It also helps GS had 4 potential HOFs on their roster. Houston had 2. That's a pretty big difference.