Draft goals change?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Draft goals change?

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

khans2k5 wrote:
KiwiMatt wrote:Three players I would like to see us target as a future PF next to KAT:

1. Jonathan Isaac
2. Brandon Clarke
3. Jayden Daniels

I keep seeing Brandon Clarke's name come up and I don't understand why Memphis would even considering trading him. He's a solid player on a rookie deal who fits their up and coming roster.

Definitely some valid points. I'd also add that Clarke's not quite the shooter this team is probably looking to pair Towns with. Keep in mind, he's only taken 74 (!) three-point attempts in his playing career dating back to 2015-16 and 50 of those are from this season in the NBA. Has he worked on that part of his game? Sure. Is he someone I'd say is a shooter? No.

What about the trade-off of perimeter shooting for defense? Well, Clarke is not a defensive anchor type either. He's a solid two-way big, but the fit just isn't right. It wasn't right on draft night either.
worldK

Post by worldK »

khans2k5 wrote:
KiwiMatt wrote:Three players I would like to see us target as a future PF next to KAT:

1. Jonathan Isaac
2. Brandon Clarke
3. Jayden Daniels

I keep seeing Brandon Clarke's name come up and I don't understand why Memphis would even considering trading him. He's a solid player on a rookie deal who fits their up and coming roster.

Jarren Jackson Jr is my favorite to be paired with towns.Him or jordan isaac Unfortubally like khans said, these guys are on rookie deals and wont make sense for their teams to trade them. Our only hope is that we win the lottery and those teams liked a prospect(wiseman?) more than jjj or isaac and make that swap with us.

That said, I will be tempted to just keep wiseman if we win the lottery but definitely having jjj or isaac next uear next to towns will help our playoffs goal a lot more.

Current wolf James Johnson actually has the skillset to fit nicely next to towns on both ends. Too bad he is 33 and his expiring contract next season may be more useful to us to trade than keeping him. But I like him next to towns at the moment.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Question, I have never watched Wiseman play, can he shoot at all. I am always worried about taking a guy who is just a rim runner and defender high in drafts. It is so hard to project defense in the NBA. Kat, WCS, Bismack, Bamba were all supposed to be good defenders and have struggled at it in the NBA or at least they are not elite. I am always worried drafted bigs high when it is a wing and guard league.

I would rather take a wing or guard with our pick and draft a guy like Oturu if we had to pick a big with our 2nd pick.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I guess I don't understand why KAT has to be pigeon-holed as a 5 in this system. I mean really, why? I've long thought he could easily play the 4, and maybe even the 3 for short stretches.

But what I'm absolutely sure of is the Timberwolves offer virtually no resistance in the interior of their defense. People get to the rim whenever they want, and we get pushed around on top of it. Until that changes the wins are going to be hard to come by. It's just such an obvious weakness, and the organization doesn't seem to recognize it.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:I guess I don't understand why KAT has to be pigeon-holed as a 5 in this system. I mean really, why? I've long thought he could easily play the 4, and maybe even the 3 for short stretches.

But what I'm absolutely sure of is the Timberwolves offer virtually no resistance in the interior of their defense. People get to the rim whenever they want, and we get pushed around on top of it. Until that changes the wins are going to be hard to come by. It's just such an obvious weakness, and the organization doesn't seem to recognize it.

You are spot on with all your points, Cool! Not only could KAT easily play the 4, I think that's a more natural fit for him given his skill set. And you are absolutely right about the lack of resistance in the interior. I'd add that there's far too little resistance anywhere in the defense, except perhaps for Okogie. Players penetrate into the paint far too easily and then encounter very little resistance once they're there.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

lipoli390 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:I guess I don't understand why KAT has to be pigeon-holed as a 5 in this system. I mean really, why? I've long thought he could easily play the 4, and maybe even the 3 for short stretches.

You are spot on with all your points, Cool! Not only could KAT easily play the 4, I think that's a more natural fit for him given his skill set. And you are absolutely right about the lack of resistance in the interior. I'd add that there's far too little resistance anywhere in the defense, except perhaps for Okogie. Players penetrate into the paint far too easily and then encounter very little resistance once they're there.

I think Culver has some good defensive chops. In fact, I go back and forth between him and Okogie in terms of who is the better defender. Okogie can get badly faked out at times, but then other times he's an absolute bulldog. Culver seems a little more "sticky", but won't draw as many offensive fouls. Now if either one could shoot worth a damn, we might have something! But alas, Wolves............

(Hernangomez is certainly not the answer next to KAT. My goodness, he would give KAT a run for his money in the number of times he let people just waltz in for easy buckets. Reid seems to be a bit better but just fouls too much).
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

khans2k5 wrote:

1. Jonathan Isaac
2. Brandon Clarke
3. Jayden Daniels

Instead of simply drafting Clarke... pay more to get him later?

I'm still slightly confused on the Beasley angle, too. Denver wasn't gonna resign him... so why not just nab him this summer? Instead, they get him and feed him minutes and opportunities and raise his stock for contract negotiations.

Granted... Beasley could have chosen a different landing spot, I guess...
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

I know it wont happen but could we sign Gasol for the MLE?
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

thedoper wrote:I know it wont happen but could we sign Gasol for the MLE?

I think I'd rather pursue Serge Ibaka, Derrick Favors or Jerami Grant. I think Marc Gasol -- and Paul Millsap -- would have better opportunities both to contend and to make money, though obviously they'd be awesome in Minnesota.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Camden0916 wrote:
thedoper wrote:I know it wont happen but could we sign Gasol for the MLE?

I think I'd rather pursue Serge Ibaka, Derrick Favors or Jerami Grant. I think Marc Gasol -- and Paul Millsap -- would have better opportunities both to contend and to make money, though obviously they'd be awesome in Minnesota.

I knew it was a pipe dream. But just having someone smart out on the court would be nice.