Official 2016 Draft Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Re: Official 2016 Draft Thread

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

We're picking in the top 5. We aren't trading back for multiple picks. None of these middle to late first round guys are worth taking at 5. If Thibs takes over as coach or JVG as POBO with a coach of his own, you can bet we're either coming out of this draft with 1 rookie or using the pick to get an established player. You don't trade for multiple picks in weak drafts. If anything you try to trade out of them and land a guy like the Jrue Holiday trade did for the Pelicans.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

khans2k5 wrote:We're picking in the top 5. We aren't trading back for multiple picks. None of these middle to late first round guys are worth taking at 5. If Thibs takes over as coach or JVG as POBO with a coach of his own, you can bet we're either coming out of this draft with 1 rookie or using the pick to get an established player. You don't trade for multiple picks in weak drafts. If anything you try to trade out of them and land a guy like the Jrue Holiday trade did for the Pelicans.

Agreed. Also, it's unfortunate that the Sixers didn't disclose whatever recent (at the time) medical issues Holiday was going through or else the Pelicans probably don't do that deal. I swear I read somewhere that the Sixers got fined for that.
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

The Holiday trade was not a good trade for the Pelicans. They gave up three picks that ended up being (Noel, MCW and Jackson) for an injured point guard. Trading lottery picks for players is usually a losing proposition. Every time the Wolves have done this (Webster, Budinger, Payne) we got the short end of the stick and the one time we traded veterans for a pick, we came out ahead (Miller/Foye for pick that got us Rubio). If I thought Thibs would make a similar bonehead move, I'd rather go after a younger guy like Ollie, Walton or Atkinson who won't feel the same pressure to mortgage our future. Winning organizations keep their draft picks. Just look at San Antonio.

Camden wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:We're picking in the top 5. We aren't trading back for multiple picks. None of these middle to late first round guys are worth taking at 5. If Thibs takes over as coach or JVG as POBO with a coach of his own, you can bet we're either coming out of this draft with 1 rookie or using the pick to get an established player. You don't trade for multiple picks in weak drafts. If anything you try to trade out of them and land a guy like the Jrue Holiday trade did for the Pelicans.

Agreed. Also, it's unfortunate that the Sixers didn't disclose whatever recent (at the time) medical issues Holiday was going through or else the Pelicans probably don't do that deal. I swear I read somewhere that the Sixers got fined for that.

Same thing happened with Webster and Bud was sort of injury prone. The team trading the player has the information advantage. Just look at how badly the LakersNash trade was or the Nets trading picks for an old Pierce and KG. Free Agency is the best venue for getting established vets.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I'm with TR on this. We will likely have the 5th or 6th pick or maybe we'll get lucky again and end up picking 1, 2 or 3. But regardless of where we end up in that range, we should take the best player available and keep him. If we're choosing between roughly equal prospects, we should take the best fit. What we absolutely should not do is trade the pick.

We've got a stellar young core. Now it's time to get an elite head coach and move forward this this core - Towns, Wiggins and LaVine, along with Ricky, Dieng and Bazz. We should round out the roster, fill holes and augment our depth through free agency. With the much higher cap, we'll have the ability to do that.
TRKO [enjin:12664595]

Post by TRKO [enjin:12664595] »

TeamRicky wrote:The Holiday trade was not a good trade for the Pelicans. They gave up three picks that ended up being (Noel, MCW and Jackson) for an injured point guard. Trading lottery picks for players is usually a losing proposition. Every time the Wolves have done this (Webster, Budinger, Payne) we got the short end of the stick and the one time we traded veterans for a pick, we came out ahead (Miller/Foye for pick that got us Rubio). If I thought Thibs would make a similar bonehead move, I'd rather go after a younger guy like Ollie, Walton or Atkinson who won't feel the same pressure to mortgage our future. Winning organizations keep their draft picks. Just look at San Antonio.

Solid points.
TRKO [enjin:12664595]

Post by TRKO [enjin:12664595] »

If we are sitting at the 5th pick, then whoever is there between Bender Hield, and Murray should be the guy, right? Does Dunn or Poeltl have a case to make to be top 5?
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Camden wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:I don't see how Thon is remotely like KG in terms of basketball skill.

He's long, relatively mobile, good motor, with a semblance of a jump shot, and he has a really dark skin tone. Oh, and KG's his favorite player. That's about where the comparison dies.

That was my point.

monsterpile wrote:We have our first round pick for next year earliest the Payne pick can be conveyed is 2018 because this was a year that we could have not had our first round pick Because of the Wes trade.

Personally I think Most vet coaches tend to play guys that can play. If you can't play or play the way they want you won't get in much. It's not quite that simple but the idea that some vet coaches just don't play rookies or young guys seems like a way oversimplification and not really true.

Monster, I believe we lose our pick next year if we finish outside the lottery. The reports of the trade all said the pick was available beginning 2017 and we didn't convey our 1st round pick this year so I don't see any reason the pick gets pushed into 2018. I have to believe our pick is subject to loss next year unless you can show me a reputable source that says otherwise.

TRKO wrote:If we are sitting at the 5th pick, then whoever is there between Bender Hield, and Murray should be the guy, right? Does Dunn or Poeltl have a case to make to be top 5?

I think with the combine and workouts coming up only the top 2 players seem set, so there could be movement in the top 5. Brown and Dunn have been in discussion as top 5 picks pretty much all year and I think their two way potential would be more appealing than Murray to Thibs or JVG.