Bulls@Wolves GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
thedoper

Re: Bulls@Wolves GDT

Post by thedoper »

Wait so no one thinks it was a good win? With that bad of shooting the team played good enough D to run away with it. Who cares if the Bulls are bad? This team is coming together and finding new ways to win. No way does this team survive shooting like that even last year.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

thedoper wrote:Wait so no one thinks it was a good win? With that bad of shooting the team played good enough D to run away with it. Who cares if the Bulls are bad? This team is coming together and finding new ways to win. No way does this team survive shooting like that even last year.

Some are happy about the win, especially these types of games. Some are happy to see certain players fail.

I think it is worrying that teague and wiggins are taking turns playing like they don't like basketball. I don't know if they are still playing hurt, having personal issues or are simply tired of thibs.

However, i do like that they have teammates to help pick them up.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Whoa. Woe. Abe's Late Night DVR Viewing...

- So... the wings combined to shoot 1 - 30 as we all know. But the more amazing thing is how one guy who sucked balls offensively still can contribute... while the other guy proves (once again) how he contributes next to nothing if he's not scoring.

- The shot selection in the first half was atrocious... Covington took several shots where it looked like he was committed to shooting before he caught it. It's not his game... don't do that. Yuck.

- Two plays stood out to me in this one... and they show what's wrong with the Wolves two highest plaid players:

1. Wiggins (ok, ok... there are several of them... but stick with me here, it's about more than a missed shot...) The Bulls switched and Towns had LaVine (TERRIBLE defender and tiny) behind him. KAT was literally standing under the basket calling for the ball for the obvious mismatch. Wiggins didn't pass it. Instead, he tried to make a move (probably to take a contested 17 footer) and traveled. KAT should be pissed. Everybody associated with the Wolves should have been pissed... or embarrassed.

2. KAT does dumb stuff like he's a precocious 8 year old kid. In the 3rd quarter, somebody drove to the hoop and missed a shot. KAT wasn't quite there for the rebound... but jumped after the Bulls cleared it and basically landed out of bounds... 15 feet behind the play. Fast forward 6 seconds to the other end of the court and Jabari Parker is putting in a layup because KAT couldn't get back into the play. Some teams purposely avoid offensive rebounds to get back on defense. KAT took himself out of the play for no apparent reason... just because.
DUMB.

- The Bulls are terrible. Awful. Atrocious. Just really really bad.

Doing dump stuff occasionally like a precocious 8-year old is a good description of KAT's main fault. But it's definitely fixable. Moreover, it generally doesn't prevent him from putting up terrific scoring and rebounding numbers nearly every single game he plays -- which is every game the Wolves play. One or two moments from KAT like the one you mentioned have to be viewed in the context of 36 points, 22 rebounds, 6 assists and overall excellent defense.
And note that KAT, as you mentioned, was calling for the ball. How refreshing to have a max player who is hyper-competitive and calling for the ball. That leads me to our other max player.

Failing to pass the ball to take advantage of an obviously big mismatch is just the tip of the iceberg with Wiggins. But even poor decision-making like the example you gave is actually fixable. Unfortunately, Andrew's terrible handle, bad hands and complete lack of competitive fire are not.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:
Q12543 wrote:One of the consequences of the Thibs unimaginative offense and Wiggins struggling is that now we have RoCo trying to do things he can't do well. He's not a dribble drive or pull up jump shooter. 3's and basket cuts is what he needs to be limited to.

The more we practice, the worse we look. We just don't have the type of players that thibs needs to run his offense. We basically rely on individual talent to get points.

Yup, it's a sum of the parts offense.

That is something Covington has been working on. The driving part he is fine at he just has no finishing ability. I don't think him taking the ball to the basket is really on Thibs.
Monster

Post by Monster »

That 1 foot inside the 3 mega long 2 for Wiggins was terrible. Towns had a worse play for him later in the game where he pump faked like a million times to take a foot on the line long 2. Wiggins should be better than that and has been better lately and has a bad reputation. Towns IS BETTER than that. Wiggins was not good but I'm not sure at buy I tot he idea he wasn't doing anything else in this game. That's all I'm gonna say but nobody is gonna argue he shouldn't be better

Another game where a team plays a center and Dieng plays. He played better than his stat line suggests.

Teague has a good game and he and Tyus etc should they are playing guys that could be in the G-league. Those guys might not suck but still...

Did Zach even score on Covington till that 1 FT and then getting a bucket on the rebound? Covington was all over him.

Towns got the job done.

Saric is getting some good run off the bench. He coulda played more.

Ok as for the not taking guys out late in the game it's just simply bizarre. Thibs could have at least taken out Rose or someone else for Okogie or something. At least Tyus finished the game. Aside from the fact it just seems dumb it seems like you don't have any confidence in the other guys to get you across the finish like against what should be a bad team. Towns should have sat himself down. I was actually surprised Covington didn't sit.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

lipoli390 wrote:

- So... the wings combined to shoot 1 - 30 as we all know. But the more amazing thing is how one guy who sucked balls offensively still can contribute... while the other guy proves (once again) how he contributes next to nothing if he's not scoring.

- The shot selection in the first half was atrocious... Covington took several shots where it looked like he was committed to shooting before he caught it. It's not his game... don't do that. Yuck.

- Two plays stood out to me in this one... and they show what's wrong with the Wolves two highest plaid players:

1. Wiggins (ok, ok... there are several of them... but stick with me here, it's about more than a missed shot...) The Bulls switched and Towns had LaVine (TERRIBLE defender and tiny) behind him. KAT was literally standing under the basket calling for the ball for the obvious mismatch. Wiggins didn't pass it. Instead, he tried to make a move (probably to take a contested 17 footer) and traveled. KAT should be pissed. Everybody associated with the Wolves should have been pissed... or embarrassed.

2. KAT does dumb stuff like he's a precocious 8 year old kid. In the 3rd quarter, somebody drove to the hoop and missed a shot. KAT wasn't quite there for the rebound... but jumped after the Bulls cleared it and basically landed out of bounds... 15 feet behind the play. Fast forward 6 seconds to the other end of the court and Jabari Parker is putting in a layup because KAT couldn't get back into the play. Some teams purposely avoid offensive rebounds to get back on defense. KAT took himself out of the play for no apparent reason... just because.
DUMB.

Doing dump stuff occasionally like a precocious 8-year old is a good description of KAT's main fault. But it's definitely fixable. Moreover, it generally doesn't prevent him from putting up terrific scoring and rebounding numbers nearly every single game he plays -- which is every game the Wolves play. One or two moments from KAT like the one you mentioned have to be viewed in the context of 36 points, 22 rebounds, 6 assists and overall excellent defense.
And note that KAT, as you mentioned, was calling for the ball. How refreshing to have a max player who is hyper-competitive and calling for the ball. That leads me to our other max player.

Failing to pass the ball to take advantage of an obviously big mismatch is just the tip of the iceberg with Wiggins. But even poor decision-making like the example you gave is actually fixable. Unfortunately, Andrew's terrible handle, bad hands and complete lack of competitive fire are not.

Sure. And I probably should have given the kid more props. He played well and really got into a groove, which is always fun. He's a legit player.

And tonight was yet another example why it's been so frustrating to see KAT + Wiggins grouped together as one so often... especially during the Butler Beatdowns. They are not in the same ballpark in any way.

Wiggins is a sunk cost at this point. KAT is a very good player with the potential to be great.

[Note: I think part of the reason why my DVR Viewing post had fewer positives is because I think the Wolves lose that game to the vast majority of NBA teams last night. The Bulls were simply worse. A trainwreck of a game. It was mostly bad basketball. CLE isn't any better, so anything less than a win in that one should be a huge disappointment too. But wins are wins. Keep collecting them... get to .500... then let's see what happens.]
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

DUMB.

Poor decision making is by far KAT's biggest issue defensively. If there is such thing as inefficient defense, he's the embodiment of it and the play you describe is a perfect example.

I sometimes get the feeling watching KAT that he's playing to his critics and fans: "Look at me! I'm hustling! See, see, I just tried to block that shot and I dove - I dove!!! - for that loose ball!".

OTOH, he did win the game for us on the other end and our overall team defense is improving. It could be so much better though without idiotic plays like the one you wrote about.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

PorkChop wrote:If Thibs wasn't interested in using his bench when he had a long term interest in this team I doubt he's gonna care now that he's probably on his way out. Having said that it doesn't make for a good resume for future employment

No one is going to hire him as coach again. He may take a defensive coaching assignment somewhere, but no way is he head coach again in the NBA. Front offices are onto him and much smarter these days about the kind of coach today's players need.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q12543 wrote:

DUMB.

Poor decision making is by far KAT's biggest issue defensively. If there is such thing as inefficient defense, he's the embodiment of it and the play you describe is a perfect example.

I sometimes get the feeling watching KAT that he's playing to his critics and fans: "Look at me! I'm hustling! See, see, I just tried to block that shot and I dove - I dove!!! - for that loose ball!".

OTOH, he did win the game for us on the other end and our overall team defense is improving. It could be so much better though without idiotic plays like the one you wrote about.

Q - I think you're being really unfair to KAT. But even if you're right about why he hustles, his motivation doesn't matter as long as he hustles. Jordan used to reach for all sorts of reasons to motivate himself.

KAT's defense has been consistently good so far this season. And he ALWAYS brings it on the offensive end and on the boards. Moreover, there are perennial MVP candidates who aren't known for their defense to say the least. James Harden and Steph Curry are two names that come to mind.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

DUMB.

Q - I think you're being really unfair to KAT. But even if you're right about why he hustles, his motivation doesn't matter as long as he hustles. Jordan used to reach for all sorts of reasons to motivate himself.

KAT's defense has been consistently good so far this season. And he ALWAYS brings it on the offensive end and on the boards. Moreover, there are perennial MVP candidates who aren't known for their defense to say the least. James Harden and Steph Curry are two names that come to mind.

Personally I feel like Steph Curry is a better defender than he gets credit for. I don't see him as a massive liability.