longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Rockets vs Wolves

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

monsterpile wrote:
thedoper wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:Half filled arena and dead crowd in the first half last night. My honey and I actually thought about leaving at halftime after watching so many uncontested dunks and threes while Teague dribbled around on the other end. Ultimately we decided to stay just to watch Coolio's halftime show (it was terrible), and were rewarded with a stunning turnaround. I thought about giving Thibs credit for making defensive adjustments at halftime until I read KAT's postgame quote that the team talked about changing their defense BEFORE Thibs even got into the locker room! Almost every three in the second half was contested...wow, what a turnaround!

The only sour note of the second half was courtesy of Thibs. The team is red hot and up 6 after another defensive stop with 20 seconds to play. A good coach sets up a play to get his team up 8 at the buzzer, but Dumb Thibs again decides clearing out for an Andrew iso is the right move...smh. Predictably, Andrew gets his pocket picked, and Houston gets a layup to cut the deficit to 4. I thought that was going to come back to haunt us, but this talented team decided to win the 4th quarter DESPITE Thibs.

Covington was brilliant. They credited him with 2 steals, but I counted 5. And yet he was a minus 3, showing the occasional absurdity of that stat. Jones had three steals and the team was almost unscored upon during the paltry 12 minutes Thibs allotted him.

Nice game that we desperately needed to win. Good to have Wig back, at least for one game. Thibs proved last night once and for all that he is not an NBA coach. We're stuck with him apparently, but man I'm sick of him.

Burn him alive!!! Or something.

My favorite is that only the players get credit for the defensive adjustments... but only the coach gets blame for Wiggins being stripped. Not even 50/50 on any of it. Nope. Pitchforks... NOW!!!

Nope, the blame for that end of quarter play in my opinion is 75% Wig and 25% Thibs. But Wig is who he is (and had a terrific game otherwise), so I tend to blame the guy who put him in a position that where he was destined to fail. Really Abe, do you want us to believe you were nodding in agreement with Thibs when you saw Wig isolated for the end of quarter shot? Did you really think
it was going to work...just this one time?

And as for giving credit to the players for the defensive adjustment to the players, that's not me, that's KAT...he's the one who said the players made a commitment to change their defense before Thibs even got to the locker room!

Fair enough. Then those players are the ones who get all the blame should they revert back to crappy defensive play. Thibs is excused whether it's good or bad... because the players get to decide (per postgame collective self-analysis) how they play.

Hey, I'm not championing for Thibodeau here. But the guy can't be totally and universally terrible every single time... when the team is bad. And... when the team is good.

Obviously, we all think he has flaws. But he might not be... MIGHT NOT BE... the worst coach of all time. I guess the outcome of that is still undecided though. The season is still young.

I'll take it a step further. Thibs is a good coach. No one likes any coach who is losing. I'm 100% positive that there is a Houston Rockets message board somewhere with a Fire D'antoni thread. There are legit criticisms for Thibs like any coach, but he has a gameplan that more often than not gives us a chance to win. That's been pretty positive from what I can tell. I like that we control the ball and have a disciplined philosophy. I'd like to see us move it around more consistently, but we don't turn it over and we make disciplined high percentage plays on offense even though it can be a labor watching us get in our sets.

All that being said it wouldn't kill me to move on from Thibs. What scares me more is to think of Glen making anymore decisions about this team moving forward.

Typically I'm not exactly excited to see the Wiggins ISO at the end of a quarter BUT in this game Wiggin had actually shown something going to the basket I thought there was good chance this was going to work out. Did any of his teammates tell him a double was coming? It was pretty quick. I'd join people in being unhappy with Wiggs iso in alpt of instances like this but not this game.

Also on the Collio half time show one of the Houston TV crew (playby play guy I think) was debating whether to get ice cream or go to the Coolio halftime show. He went to the halftime show and was disappointed. Someone was nice enough to bring him ice cream and they were joking he was just going to eat it on air. Why did the Coolio show suck?

Bad sound system, and a bad collection of backup singers and dancers...plus the guy is WAY past his prime.
But none of it was as bad as the play call at the end of the 3rd quarter...turned a potential 8 point lead into 4, and could have changed the momentum of the game which was all going our way. Wig was great going to the basket several times during the game, but it was always within the flow of the game. This was "Hey, I'm Andrew Wiggins, and Thibs wants me to dribble for ten seconds and then try to blow by two guys for a layup". Tell him a double was coming? Houston has video and they know what Thibs does at the end of quarters. And they know Wig is not a very good ballhandler and not very good at passing out of the double team. Of course a double (or triple) is coming. My entire section was yelling "oh no" except for the Houston guy next to me...everyone knew the play was destined for disaster.

But enough on this...some of us like the Wig iso at the end of quarters, and some of us detest it. No point in continuing to debate its merits.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
thedoper wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:Half filled arena and dead crowd in the first half last night. My honey and I actually thought about leaving at halftime after watching so many uncontested dunks and threes while Teague dribbled around on the other end. Ultimately we decided to stay just to watch Coolio's halftime show (it was terrible), and were rewarded with a stunning turnaround. I thought about giving Thibs credit for making defensive adjustments at halftime until I read KAT's postgame quote that the team talked about changing their defense BEFORE Thibs even got into the locker room! Almost every three in the second half was contested...wow, what a turnaround!

The only sour note of the second half was courtesy of Thibs. The team is red hot and up 6 after another defensive stop with 20 seconds to play. A good coach sets up a play to get his team up 8 at the buzzer, but Dumb Thibs again decides clearing out for an Andrew iso is the right move...smh. Predictably, Andrew gets his pocket picked, and Houston gets a layup to cut the deficit to 4. I thought that was going to come back to haunt us, but this talented team decided to win the 4th quarter DESPITE Thibs.

Covington was brilliant. They credited him with 2 steals, but I counted 5. And yet he was a minus 3, showing the occasional absurdity of that stat. Jones had three steals and the team was almost unscored upon during the paltry 12 minutes Thibs allotted him.

Nice game that we desperately needed to win. Good to have Wig back, at least for one game. Thibs proved last night once and for all that he is not an NBA coach. We're stuck with him apparently, but man I'm sick of him.

My favorite is that only the players get credit for the defensive adjustments... but only the coach gets blame for Wiggins being stripped. Not even 50/50 on any of it. Nope. Pitchforks... NOW!!!

Nope, the blame for that end of quarter play in my opinion is 75% Wig and 25% Thibs. But Wig is who he is (and had a terrific game otherwise), so I tend to blame the guy who put him in a position that where he was destined to fail. Really Abe, do you want us to believe you were nodding in agreement with Thibs when you saw Wig isolated for the end of quarter shot? Did you really think

And as for giving credit to the players for the defensive adjustment to the players, that's not me, that's KAT...he's the one who said the players made a commitment to change their defense before Thibs even got to the locker room!

Fair enough. Then those players are the ones who get all the blame should they revert back to crappy defensive play. Thibs is excused whether it's good or bad... because the players get to decide (per postgame collective self-analysis) how they play.

Hey, I'm not championing for Thibodeau here. But the guy can't be totally and universally terrible every single time... when the team is bad. And... when the team is good.

Obviously, we all think he has flaws. But he might not be... MIGHT NOT BE... the worst coach of all time. I guess the outcome of that is still undecided though. The season is still young.

I'll take it a step further. Thibs is a good coach. No one likes any coach who is losing. I'm 100% positive that there is a Houston Rockets message board somewhere with a Fire D'antoni thread. There are legit criticisms for Thibs like any coach, but he has a gameplan that more often than not gives us a chance to win. That's been pretty positive from what I can tell. I like that we control the ball and have a disciplined philosophy. I'd like to see us move it around more consistently, but we don't turn it over and we make disciplined high percentage plays on offense even though it can be a labor watching us get in our sets.

All that being said it wouldn't kill me to move on from Thibs. What scares me more is to think of Glen making anymore decisions about this team moving forward.

Typically I'm not exactly excited to see the Wiggins ISO at the end of a quarter BUT in this game Wiggin had actually shown something going to the basket I thought there was good chance this was going to work out. Did any of his teammates tell him a double was coming? It was pretty quick. I'd join people in being unhappy with Wiggs iso in alpt of instances like this but not this game.

Also on the Collio half time show one of the Houston TV crew (playby play guy I think) was debating whether to get ice cream or go to the Coolio halftime show. He went to the halftime show and was disappointed. Someone was nice enough to bring him ice cream and they were joking he was just going to eat it on air. Why did the Coolio show suck?

Bad sound system, and a bad collection of backup singers and dancers...plus the guy is WAY past his prime.
But none of it was as bad as the play call at the end of the 3rd quarter...turned a potential 8 point lead into 4, and could have changed the momentum of the game which was all going our way. Wig was great going to the basket several times during the game, but it was always within the flow of the game. This was "Hey, I'm Andrew Wiggins, and Thibs wants me to dribble for ten seconds and then try to blow by two guys for a layup". Tell him a double was coming? Houston has video and they know what Thibs does at the end of quarters. And they know Wig is not a very good ballhandler and not very good at passing out of the double team. Of course a double (or triple) is coming. My entire section was yelling "oh no" except for the Houston guy next to me...everyone knew the play was destined for disaster.

But enough on this...some of us like the Wig iso at the end of quarters, and some of us detest it. No point in continuing to debate its merits.

Actually, I don't think anyone on this Board likes the Wiggins iso at the end of quarters. We all disagree on a lot of things, but I think we all agree that the Wiggins iso play is idiotic. Yet, Thibodeau continues to use it. It's mind-boggling. And it's unfair to Wiggins as well as the entire team and fan base. I really enjoyed watching the Jazz game tonight. It was such a pleasure watching the Jazz run a modern NBA offense with great spacing, no one player holding the ball for more than 5 second, great ball movement. A great contrast to the dribble, dribble, dribble, post-up, post-up, post-up offense we see every game from the Wolves. Oh, and we also get to see the Wiggins end-of-quarter iso plays. We're so fortunate.

The arrival of RoCo and Saric has really improved the Wolves defense. If the Wolves also ran a modern NBA offense, this teams would a force. But the Wolves head coach is Tom Thibodeau.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

At what point does Thibodeau deserve credit for the positive things this team does? Or is that never going to be the case?
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Camden wrote:At what point does Thibodeau deserve credit for the positive things this team does? Or is that never going to be the case?

On this board? Never. Probably.

I have many of the same frustrations as others. The Iso ball is not aesthetically pleasing. The yelling. The use of timeouts. Rotation stuff. The predictability. Etc. But the team Vegas had winning 42 games (and many of us predicted less) is on pace to win 41 games... despite the Butler drama. Thibodeau is flawed. Definitely. Even highly flawed. But he must be doing something right... occasionally. Maybe?

As for the Jazz... Good timing for Lip to watch a game. Remember, it's a make-or-miss league. The Jazz shot 20 - 33 on three pointers last night. It MIGHT have been an anomaly.

After all, even with that efficient 139-point game on the books, they're still 25th in offense. They were 16th in offense last season.

The Wolves are 13th in offense this season. They were 4th in offense last season.
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Camden wrote:At what point does Thibodeau deserve credit for the positive things this team does? Or is that never going to be the case?

I have many of the same frustrations as others. The Iso ball is not aesthetically pleasing. The yelling. The use of timeouts. Rotation stuff. The predictability. Etc. But the team Vegas had winning 42 games (and many of us predicted less) is on pace to win 41 games... despite the Butler drama. Thibodeau is flawed. Definitely. Even highly flawed. But he must be doing something right... occasionally. Maybe?

As for the Jazz... Good timing for Lip to watch a game. Remember, it's a make-or-miss league. The Jazz shot 20 - 33 on three pointers last night. It MIGHT have been an anomaly.

After all, even with that efficient 139-point game on the books, they're still 25th in offense. They were 16th in offense last season.

The Wolves are 13th in offense this season. They were 4th in offense last season.

To add to what you are saying Abe:

Korver had 15 points in 15 mins. He will help them but not that much.

The Spurs defensive efficiency is now only better than the Cavs. I'm not sure Utah is quite back yet.

On the other hand it's worth remembering that Itah has the toughest schedule through the first however many games.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

To add to what you are saying Abe:

Korver had 15 points in 15 mins. He will help them but not that much.

The Spurs defensive efficiency is now only better than the Cavs. I'm not sure Utah is quite back yet.

On the other hand it's worth remembering that Itah has the toughest schedule through the first however many games.

Utah has won a greater percentage of games after the ASG every year since Quinn Snyder took over... in 2014.

They were 26 - 6 last season.
21 - 12 the year prior.

I fully expect that team to be in the playoffs when all is said and done.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I think it's never going to be the case until the players themselves start to give Thibs some credit. When I attend games (and read quotes from the locker room) it appears to me that Thibs has lost this team, and that they are playing around him sometimes rather than for him. It's astonishing to me how seldom the players say anything positive about the coach, and either openly criticize him or ignore him. Examples? Teague questioning Thibs' rotations and refusal to play Tyus enough or Okogie. Players actually taking themselves out of the game when they are tired rather than waiting for Thibs to make a move. 20-year-old rookie Okogie (and others) completely ignoring the head coach during time outs. After a stirring second half comeback, Towns pointedly saying postgame that the players made defensive adjustments in the locker room rather than waiting for Thibs. And on and on. If not before, Thibs lost this team last summer with his baffling inaction during the Butler drama. Fortunately this team has more talent than most other teams in the league, so they are going to win a lot of games...but it seems to me they are winning in spite of Thibs rather than because of him.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

lipoli390 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
thedoper wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Actually, I don't think anyone on this Board likes the Wiggins iso at the end of quarters. We all disagree on a lot of things, but I think we all agree that the Wiggins iso play is idiotic. Yet, Thibodeau continues to use it. It's mind-boggling. And it's unfair to Wiggins as well as the entire team and fan base. I really enjoyed watching the Jazz game tonight. It was such a pleasure watching the Jazz run a modern NBA offense with great spacing, no one player holding the ball for more than 5 second, great ball movement. A great contrast to the dribble, dribble, dribble, post-up, post-up, post-up offense we see every game from the Wolves. Oh, and we also get to see the Wiggins end-of-quarter iso plays. We're so fortunate.

The arrival of RoCo and Saric has really improved the Wolves defense. If the Wolves also ran a modern NBA offense, this teams would a force. But the Wolves head coach is Tom Thibodeau.

So much for that moratorium... :-)
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

To what LST is taking about.

The players talked about the 1h and the adjustments that needed to be made as a team before thibs even walked into the lockerroom at the 1h.

[youtube]YiOio-Ny7s8[/youtube]

Kat and wiggs reiterated the same things in their postgame interviews.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

60WinTim wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
thedoper wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

So much for that moratorium... :-)

I don't mind wiggs having the ball at the end of quarters or halves. Few seconds to go end to end? Give him the ball and get out of the way. He doesn't think, he just goes.

In half court sets with time for the defense to wait for him? Not so much. I dont think any of our players are good for that because more often than not, its 4 guys watching and standing while their man goes to help on the ball handler.