Looking forward to 2019 - Twins Fall Offseason Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Looking forward to 2019 - Twins Fall Offseason Thread

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

monsterpile wrote:Video of Astudillo doing stuff in winter ball plus another long article about him being interesting but most of it is stuff you probably already know.

https://es.pn/2FhSei1

This guy has a chance to be a real cult hero...man, I hope he makes the roster this year!
Monster

Post by Monster »

John Curtiss DFA'd to make room for the Blake Parker signing. I was a little surprised (Why are we holding on to Duffy?!) but one stat jumped out at me from last year. In 55 innings in AAA he had 31 walks. That doesn't seem too good.

monsterpile wrote:John Curtiss DFA'd to make room for the Blake Parker signing. I was a little surprised (Why are we holding on to Duffy?!) but one stat jumped out at me from last year. In 55 innings in AAA he had 31 walks. That doesn't seem too good.

And his control trend lines werent good. He went from a walk every 4 innings in his early 20s to more than a walk every 2 innings last year in AAA...and even worse in the majors. Great strike out stuff, but I think they just decided he was never going to have command.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:John Curtiss DFA'd to make room for the Blake Parker signing. I was a little surprised (Why are we holding on to Duffy?!) but one stat jumped out at me from last year. In 55 innings in AAA he had 31 walks. That doesn't seem too good.

And his control trend lines werent good. He went from a walk every 4 innings in his early 20s to more than a walk every 2 innings last year in AAA...and even worse in the majors. Great strike out stuff, but I think they just decided he was never going to have command.

I could be remembering wrong but weren't you a big Curtiss guy?

Also in case you were wondering Slegers got claimed by the Pirates. The guy they let go to claim Slegers had some pretty meh stats.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

Also in case you were wondering Slegers got claimed by the Pirates. The guy they let go to claim Slegers had some pretty meh stats.

I was a big Curtiss guy thought he had all the stuff to be quality reliever but like you guys said never found the control. He's going to be 26 in April. Ive said this before but most of the time its true, Jack Morris once told me there's no such thing as 26 year old prospect.

Jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

I was a big Curtiss guy thought he had all the stuff to be quality reliever but like you guys said never found the control. He's going to be 26 in April. Ive said this before but most of the time its true, Jack Morris once told me there's no such thing as 26 year old prospect.

Monster, I was a big Curtiss guy too because of his swing and miss stuff...I saw him as a potential closer down the road. But I was also wary of his negative control trend line, and then gave up on him when it got even worse in the majors with the Twins.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

Monster, I was a big Curtiss guy too because of his swing and miss stuff...I saw him as a potential closer down the road. But I was also wary of his negative control trend line, and then gave up on him when it got even worse in the majors with the Twins.

I knew Curtiss would never make it..jk LOL I liked him a lot also maybe not as much as you guys but so liked him.

I've said it before but sometimes an organization loses a player and people get upset about it. Then you start looking around at guys you can claim from other teams when it if they cut them or even sign players available now or in a few weeks or months to a minor league deal and the difference is...negligible or basiclaly no difference. For every supposedly still talented 26 year old (or even if they are 25) there is a Matt Magill or Astudillo type guy. Kenny's Vargas finally signed to play baseball "in the Far East" which he probably should have taken the offer he had last year but you can't blame the guy for trying one more year to make it. Sometimes you let a guy go and he succeeds elsewhere. It's gonna happen.

Edit:

The Twins got a little SS prospect back in a trade for Curtiss his name is Daniel Ozoria.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Not going to happen, but might help make enough news that people will remember we have a MLB team in town.

REPORT: The Twins are dark horses in the Bryce Harper Manny Machado race
https://kfan.iheart.com/featured/twins-blog/content/2019-01-23-report-the-twins-are-dark-horses-in-the-bryce-harper-manny-machado-race/?pname=local_social&sc=editorial&keyid=KFXN&fbclid=IwAR3toXM4aRh-dsyD7hTz4uMUcdpcPeu0UkAqJYaaG5W19KzcnYk_0CMGE-E&fbclid=IwAR2d42syFp3aXPiHIgr7ch73VMXMfBYkvVkJOmSy9JkXsSUnAmxtGqUitmI
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Not going to happen, but might help make enough news that people will remember we have a MLB team in town.

REPORT: The Twins are dark horses in the Bryce Harper Manny Machado race
https://kfan.iheart.com/featured/twins-blog/content/2019-01-23-report-the-twins-are-dark-horses-in-the-bryce-harper-manny-machado-race/?pname=local_social&sc=editorial&keyid=KFXN&fbclid=IwAR3toXM4aRh-dsyD7hTz4uMUcdpcPeu0UkAqJYaaG5W19KzcnYk_0CMGE-E&fbclid=IwAR2d42syFp3aXPiHIgr7ch73VMXMfBYkvVkJOmSy9JkXsSUnAmxtGqUitmI

I doubt this is true but you guys know my feelings on Machado. If it's true the best offer is 7 years 175mil so far then twins can blow that out of the water. I salavate at Machado/Lewis middle infield for 5-6 years depending on when Lewis is ready.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Btw Harper doesn't make sense we're loaded in outfield and kirilloff is probably going to be ready by the end of this year. I can't tell you how excited I'm for twins baseball the next couple years I really feel like it's our turn pretty soon to take over the division. Idk if it will be this year but next year for sure we should be contenders again.