Salary Cap situation entering Free Agency

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Salary Cap situation entering Free Agency

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

TeamRicky wrote:The good news I think is that there is a lot less money to go around this offseason and so I expect that there will be lots of bargains once the hot targets are grabbed.

Historically, we've turned bargains into dumpster diving.....I mean, the fact Rush, Hill, and Aldrich ALL had better seasons the year before joining us is pretty depressing. All three! How does that happen?

May be the worm is starting to turn with the Butler deal. But we've seen before the national media get hyped about the Wolves (i.e. last off season) only for us to disappoint and fade back into a footnote.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Almost all the salary cap discussion here has centered on 2017-8, and how much cap we may have to sign a key free agent. We do have more room than most other teams this offseason, but I can assure you that Leyden and Thibs are taking a much longer view than that...they are focused on 2019-20, when they expect that they will have to pay each of the Big Three a max contract (and I think most of us here would be surprised if any of the three of them gets less than the maximum on their next contract). I'm certain the Wolves' brass is well aware that adding a medium to high priced free agent this year will force the team well into the luxury tax in 2019-20 if they intend to keep all of the Big (now) 4. And while I have heard some talk that the ownership group is not opposed to wading slightly into lux tax land is there is a chance of a championship, they are not going to do a "Dan Gilbert" and pay an absurd amount of lux tax (without even a championship). Here are the numbers:

The 2017-8 cap is now expected to be $99 million (with the lux tax at $119 million). 2018-9 isn't expected to increase much and assuming a 5 % bump in 2019-20, the cap and lux tax that year will be $104 million and $124 million. Let's also say the Wolves target a guy this year like Milsap or Lowry this offseason, and they are able to sign them through 2020 for $25 million (I'm saying $25 million because Lowry has said he would take a sub-max to go to a potential champion). Here's the (not so pretty) picture:

Butler: 31.2
Wig 26
KAT 26
New FA 25

That's $108.2 from just 4 players...already over the cap with 11 more players to play. The only other player under contract in 2019-20 would be Gorgui, and his $16.2 would put the Wolves into the luxury tax with still 10 players to play...not a viable situation for any ownership group not led by a crazy man like Dan Gilbert. Now, I recognize they would probably unload Gorgui's contract, but they would still have to pay 11 more players, and any reasonable roster would put them well into luxury tax land. Not gonna happen...one of the Big 4 (including this year's free agent) would clearly have to go.

It's fun to have a thread talking about free agents we would like to add, but the math above is why I don't participate...it's a fantasy. We now have a Big 3 that can perhaps win a championship, and Thibs isn't going to do anything that might force them to "Harden" one of them in three years. What they are going to have to do instead is find free agents at bargain basement prices (like Thibs did last year) that they think will complement our stars well. That's why I think we have to keep the conversation realistic now that we have Butler, and focus more on names like Casspi and Rush...not Milsap, Ibaka and Lowry.
Monster

Post by Monster »

One of the rosy optimistic scenarios that has been suggested on this board is of the Wolves end up being more like the Spurs where guys take some less money to keep it all together. That was going to be tricky to see happen with Lavine's situation and Wiggins coming up for his deal basically at the Same time. What if the higher level vet like Lowry is the first guy to obviously take less to come here? Could that make Butler willing to take less? Would that be enough to make much of a difference? Idk that just something that got me today.

Also I think there is a decent chance the cap take a bigger jump than the numbers you put forth if the playoffs aren't basically shortened lol they were this year and added advertising from jersey patches etc. a couple million higher could be pretty big for the Wolves and other teams as well.

Edit:

I'll also add that I wouldn't be shocked if a Lowry deal was a 2+1 or something that would give some options for him to get out of his deal and either get paid or help the team out finically etc.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:One of the rosy optimistic scenarios that has been suggested on this board is of the Wolves end up being more like the Spurs where guys take some less money to keep it all together. That was going to be tricky to see happen with Lavine's situation and Wiggins coming up for his deal basically at the Same time. What if the higher level vet like Lowry is the first guy to obviously take less to come here? Could that make Butler willing to take less? Would that be enough to make much of a difference? Idk that just something that got me today.

Also I think there is a decent chance the cap take a bigger jump than the numbers you put forth if the playoffs aren't basically shortened lol they were this year and added advertising from jersey patches etc. a couple million higher could be pretty big for the Wolves and other teams as well.

Edit:

I'll also add that I wouldn't be shocked if a Lowry deal was a 2+1 or something that would give some options for him to get out of his deal and either get paid or help the team out finically etc.

Monster -- Thibs can't assume the cap will take a bigger jump than the 5% assumed by LST. Thibs isn't the sort to look at things through rose-colored glasses. He's conservative and a realist. Further, the $25 million LST projects for or new free agent already assumes Lowry at at discount. The numbers tell the tale and there's no way around the reality of those numbers. As I've mentioned dozens of times, the fate of this franchise lies with the development and ultimate success of Wiggins and KAT. We know what we'll get from Butler if he stays healthy. If Wiggins and KAT live up to their promise, we'll have a true "big three." And having a big three is the foundation for championship contention. Golden State is an anomaly, having a big 4 plus Iggy. But no other teams are on track for a big 4.

So I agree with LST that we need to be prudent and take the longer view in our pursuit of free agents this summer. I'm hoping that Thibs and Layden find and sign a couple undrafted or D-League players who are flying under the radar of other teams. On the other hand, Butler talked today about recruiting players who are, in Butler's words, "better than I am." So I could have it all wrong. Perhaps Thibs is truly trying to sign the 32-year old Lowry, Millsap or Hill, although I wouldn't consider any of those guys better than Butler. Who could Butler have been referring to?
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lip I wasn't suggesting Thibs and Layden having rosy glasses more it was us. I mostly posted that to be a bit funny and to really consider the ramifications even in the rosiest view. It seems the Wolves have stayed pretty prudent and my guess if they sign an expensive player they will have approval from Glen to do that. It seems like some of the minor ownership has turned over a bit so it MIGHT be more realistic now to be in the lux tax down the road for a year at worst before figuring out what to do with Lowry.

As for who Butler was referring to here are some ideas.

First of all Butler has been extremely humble even saying something like he is a pretty decent basketball player so the range of players he could be referring to could be HIUUUGE! Lol I'm sorta joking but I could see him referring to a decent range of guys.

Taj Gibson. He likely has a lot of respect for him as vet that likely guided him (why he might refer to him being an even better player) and likely would love to play with him again.

Kyle Lowry is the biggest rumored name.

Millsap?

Maybe even Korver?

What about his new best pal Wade? Yeah sure it's a long shot and where would he play but why not recruit him? Where does Wade go after he likely gets to move on at some point this year? Wade could become the Wolves PG! :)

Supposedly Dunlevey is interested in coming to the Wolves which would be fantastic. He can shoot and play that combo forward spot we really need, is a legit vet that can help all the way around if he is healthy. He probably will come pretty cheap.

That's what I have got but I may have forgotten someone.

Let's go back to Lowry. Wolfson and Jon K have reported Glen LOVES Rubio and will have to be convinced to move him. Lowry would be a significant upgrade and even if he takes that 25 million Glen would have to sign off on the extra money it would cost as well. Would Glen sign off on George Hill or Holiday? Idk. Wolfson said George Hill may not come here unless he gets big $$$. I find it hard to believe that NO won't overpay to keep Jrue and after all that went on you would think he would want to stay there. I question if Glen would sign off on dumping Rubio for Teague although it's possible the salaries wouldn't be much different when it's all said and done. I know Teague would be less of and offensively liability but idk he isn't all that impressive to me either even though ai think last year was like his most efficient year of his career or something.

This afternoon I listened to Jon K on Dan Barreiro Friday and it sounded like they are legitamately looking to upgrade but Jon was emphatic they won't do anything with Rubio until they have someone else lined up. Both Jon and Wolfson say Rubio has people in the organization that are very much in favor of keeping Rubio. My guess is Layden is one of those guys. When he was talking to Wolfson for his latest podcast he sounded more again like Rubio was going to be around. I think the reason why there are so many rumors around Rubio is that upgrading Rubio has made sense for years and so if someone will give you something better back then you consider it. On the other hand other hand Rubio likely is considered a legit starting PG and for some teams if they can get a guy like that on a good contract for nothing...than why not call? Is similar to Okafor who is going to have his name in trade rumors for probably the rest of his career unless he either gets a lot better or gets bad enough nobody cares. The Sixers don't want to just give him away (like the Wolves don't want to just dump Rubio)?because they may still need him to some extent if Embiid can't stay healthy. Plus centers that can't guard in space...nobody wants those guys unless they are really really special at some other stuff.
Shumway

Post by Shumway »

longstrangetrip wrote:Almost all the salary cap discussion here has centered on 2017-8, and how much cap we may have to sign a key free agent. We do have more room than most other teams this offseason, but I can assure you that Leyden and Thibs are taking a much longer view than that...they are focused on 2019-20, when they expect that they will have to pay each of the Big Three a max contract (and I think most of us here would be surprised if any of the three of them gets less than the maximum on their next contract). I'm certain the Wolves' brass is well aware that adding a medium to high priced free agent this year will force the team well into the luxury tax in 2019-20 if they intend to keep all of the Big (now) 4. And while I have heard some talk that the ownership group is not opposed to wading slightly into lux tax land is there is a chance of a championship, they are not going to do a "Dan Gilbert" and pay an absurd amount of lux tax (without even a championship). Here are the numbers:

The 2017-8 cap is now expected to be $99 million (with the lux tax at $119 million). 2018-9 isn't expected to increase much and assuming a 5 % bump in 2019-20, the cap and lux tax that year will be $104 million and $124 million. Let's also say the Wolves target a guy this year like Milsap or Lowry this offseason, and they are able to sign them through 2020 for $25 million (I'm saying $25 million because Lowry has said he would take a sub-max to go to a potential champion). Here's the (not so pretty) picture:

Butler: 31.2
Wig 26
KAT 26
New FA 25

That's $108.2 from just 4 players...already over the cap with 11 more players to play. The only other player under contract in 2019-20 would be Gorgui, and his $16.2 would put the Wolves into the luxury tax with still 10 players to play...not a viable situation for any ownership group not led by a crazy man like Dan Gilbert. Now, I recognize they would probably unload Gorgui's contract, but they would still have to pay 11 more players, and any reasonable roster would put them well into luxury tax land. Not gonna happen...one of the Big 4 (including this year's free agent) would clearly have to go.

It's fun to have a thread talking about free agents we would like to add, but the math above is why I don't participate...it's a fantasy. We now have a Big 3 that can perhaps win a championship, and Thibs isn't going to do anything that might force them to "Harden" one of them in three years. What they are going to have to do instead is find free agents at bargain basement prices (like Thibs did last year) that they think will complement our stars well. That's why I think we have to keep the conversation realistic now that we have Butler, and focus more on names like Casspi and Rush...not Milsap, Ibaka and Lowry.

I agree, and I'm sure Thibs are also taking a 'long view' on the Wolves cap position. His patience with free agents last offseason now seem to have shown a great level of foresight. But a couple of other points to consider in relation to this:

Firstly, I'm not sure that you can go too wrong just accumulating talent and then work out how to fit it all together later. Good players on reasonable contracts will always have value. I'm not talking about overpaying, because that restricts future options, but we do have capacity to add further talent now and work it out later. I suspect that we won't sign a big name free agent this year, but I could understand the rationale if we spend while we can.

Secondly, the calculations above also apply to every other team. There is only so much room in the cap to accumulate a Big 3, or a Big 4 or whatever. Golden State's situation is very unique and a real beneficiary of circumstance. Curry's low cap number and then the massive jump in the cap allowing almost every team to have cap space is not something that is likely to be replicated. I don't know the details of GSs cap situation, but I find it difficult to know how they keep it all together for 5 years to make every season a foregone conclusion. Maybe after a few championships Klay Thompson wants to step out of the shadow and take on a larger role, who knows. But the cap is restrictive for super teams to be built and to last.

So if KAT can develop into a genuine top 10 player, Butler remains a top 15 player and Wiggins continues to develop, then there's some real premium talent there - and that puts us in the mix. Getting premium talent and filling in around it rather than mid-level talent is the key. It was the whole premise of The Process. We've potentially got that elite talent on the roster.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Monster, I was intrigued also by Butler's comment that somebody better than him would be coming to join the Wolves. First, we know it's not true because there are only a handful of players better than Butler (and they're not available), but it's good to hear him say it anyway. Butler seems to be a bright, measured guy, so I have to believe there is some truth to what he is saying...here's my guess: There is genuine excitement throughout the NBA about the combining of Butler, KAT and Wig, and Jimmy has had some conversations with high-profile star friends of his about coming to Minnesota. A player like Milsap knows that joining a very promising Big 3 along with Rubio, Gorgui and Thibs could mean a championship, and I wouldn't be surprised that Jimmy has had exciting conversations with several very good players.

But there is a difference between a stud wanting to come here, and the ownership group being willing to pay the ridiculously punitive lux tax down the road. I can tell you with authority that Dan Gilbert is a laughing stock among NBA owners because he paid such an absurdly high tax this year and didn't even win a championship! I heard yesterday that the cap estimate coming down from $101 million to $99 million is going to cost Gilbert an additional $9 million in tax...that's how the math works! Paying the new Big 3 max contracts plus assembling a supporting cast that can put us in the hunt is already going to put them into the lux tax, but I have been told the ownership group is willing to do this...to a reasonable extent. But they are not going to get "Gilberted" so there is NO chance of having a Big 4 all making $25 milloin plus in two years.

Now, while I think Leyden and Thibs will continue to be prudent this offseason, that doesn't mean that there is no chance of signing a $20 million plus free agent this summer. There is plenty of cap room right now (given some other easy-to-make moves), and there appears to be a willingness for some studs to come here. But such a move will force the team's hand in two years when all the current Big 3 will be paid max contracts, and one of the 4 will have to be "Hardened"...that's just the hard facts. Here's my analysis. If we sign a high-priced player this summer, it's a signal that Thibs is not sold on Wiggins ability to become a better defender and rebounder, and is willing to sign another star to be part of a new Big 3 rather than paying Wig when his rookie contract runs out. I would rather be patient and see how Butler/KAT/Wig performs, but I would trust Thibs' judgement if he decided that he would rather replace Wig with more of a 2-way player in his Big 3. It will be interesting to see what we do this summer, because I think it will be a clear signal as to what Thibs thinks Wig's potential is.
Big O [enjin:13874644]

Post by Big O [enjin:13874644] »

All good points being made but look at it from this perspective... if I'm a 76 year old guy worth $1.84 billion and I've owned a team that hasn't been in the playoffs since I was in my early 60s and I can add another all star and be a contender this season I find the way. I don't worry about two years from now, I win now! I'm in the consulting business and we never say no to a new project despite how busy we are. Things change and as soon as you say no to a job one of your others gets delayed and you could have used the work. It's the same thing here. Most people think KAT and Wiggins are max players but the unexpected happens. Someone has a serious injury. Wiggins might decide he wants to be a farmer rather than play ball (Darko). You don't make stupid moves, but when a great opportunity presents itself you have to go with it. Sign Lowry to a reasonable deal and become a contender!
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Big O wrote:All good points being made but look at it from this perspective... if I'm a 76 year old guy worth $1.84 billion and I've owned a team that hasn't been in the playoffs since I was in my early 60s and I can add another all star and be a contender this season I find the way. I don't worry about two years from now, I win now! I'm in the consulting business and we never say no to a new project despite how busy we are. Things change and as soon as you say no to a job one of your others gets delayed and you could have used the work. It's the same thing here. Most people think KAT and Wiggins are max players but the unexpected happens. Someone has a serious injury. Wiggins might decide he wants to be a farmer rather than play ball (Darko). You don't make stupid moves, but when a great opportunity presents itself you have to go with it. Sign Lowry to a reasonable deal and become a contender!

That's a pretty good way to look at it.
Mr. Brightside [enjin:16464947]

Post by Mr. Brightside [enjin:16464947] »

Stars win in this league. If Kyle Lowry wants to come here, you do whatever it takes.