Let's get this party started....sleep is overrated! Lakers GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Let's get this party started....sleep is overrated! Lakers GDT

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

60WinTim wrote:I agree completely that KAT was already very skilled on both ends of the court. But you would be wrong about the "comfort" level with the moves. That was obvious in Summer League. And KAT has specifically commented on how KG has helped him apply his offensive moves in the NBA. Patience, patience, patience is one specific example Towns made reference to. I agree the foundation was already there, but KG has an influence on how rapidly KAT has become so effective.

Well, first of all, Towns might make for a better Presidential candidate than any of the existing ones in either party! He is almost too polished at times. The guy is NEVER going to do anything other than shower his elders (especially KG) with praise. I'm not complaining - it's unbelievably refreshing - but it's to the point where I'm not sure how genuinely sincere he is all the time. I mean he lays it on thick!

The patience thing is not rocket science. Sikma would have preached the same thing. And so could KG as an assistant by the way!

KG's value is as a player in games - in the trenches if you will - playing next to KAT. I think a combination of his substantive contributions as a defender and high-post passer combined with his almost clown-like trash talk and antics takes a ton of pressure (and attention) off of KAT.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

Q12543 wrote:Drew, you make a good point on Cousins. He is ridiculously talented and is more of a handful physically with his size and strength. I think where KAT really separates himself is when he develops a consistent 3-ball, which I think is only a matter of time - perhaps as soon as next season. That will open up a ton of space for his team mates because he will drag big Centers (like Cousins!) out of the paint and it will help the entire offense.

Yeah, I definitely like having a big with offensive range, which is also why I'm still pretty interested in Dieng, though he's not the player Towns is, he's shown the ability to hit some outside shots.

The big need we still have with these two is a big-ass banger down low to go with them in the rotations. In theory, that should be Pek, but obviously he's got some real health problems.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:Drew, you make a good point on Cousins. He is ridiculously talented and is more of a handful physically with his size and strength. I think where KAT really separates himself is when he develops a consistent 3-ball, which I think is only a matter of time - perhaps as soon as next season. That will open up a ton of space for his team mates because he will drag big Centers (like Cousins!) out of the paint and it will help the entire offense.

I was just looking up Cousins stats and noticed he hit 4/5 from 3 in his first game. FG% being low for a big and a very high TO rate are the downsides of Cousins offensively but he lives at the FT line. Towns might be more efficient in his career. Any center that is close to Cousins offensively is pretty good. He is a nightmare. I hope he stays healthy and he and Karl get on the same page. It could be fun.

SameOldNudityDrew wrote:To me, in addition to KG's ability to teach the young guys concepts, especially on defense, and command the respect of the franchise, is that KG, like Rubio and Bazz, plays all out and hustles and clearly shows passion for the game. Every team needs guys like that. I don't think Towns is low-energy, and he's clearly already highly skilled, but it can't hurt to have a highly respected vet (who is practically a player-coach at this point) on the roster who is passionate about the game particularly on the defensive end. Especially with Wiggins as our other top young prospect, we definitely need guys who are demonstratively passionate about the game (ahem, bring back Jeff Adrien please!). Besides, I actually still think KG is good for us defensively! I was skeptical of bringing KG back (I actually liked Young), but he's really won me over and with Towns on the roster, he makes even more sense.

Yeah, I mostly agree with this.

An interesting comparison is KG versus Kobe. Both are well past their primes, but one guy has accepted his role as one whose primary purpose is to bring out the best in others, while the other is still trying to be the center of attention. Kobe's presence is corrosive for that young Lakers team, whereas I agree KG is a net plus for the Wolves.

SameOldNudityDrew wrote:

Yeah, I definitely like having a big with offensive range, which is also why I'm still pretty interested in Dieng, though he's not the player Towns is, he's shown the ability to hit some outside shots.

The big need we still have with these two is a big-ass banger down low to go with them in the rotations. In theory, that should be Pek, but obviously he's got some real health problems.

Yeah, it would be great if he could come back and give us 15-18 minutes per game, but I'm not sure he ever plays again - or if he does he might just be a shell of his former self.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:
SameOldNudityDrew wrote:To me, in addition to KG's ability to teach the young guys concepts, especially on defense, and command the respect of the franchise, is that KG, like Rubio and Bazz, plays all out and hustles and clearly shows passion for the game. Every team needs guys like that. I don't think Towns is low-energy, and he's clearly already highly skilled, but it can't hurt to have a highly respected vet (who is practically a player-coach at this point) on the roster who is passionate about the game particularly on the defensive end. Especially with Wiggins as our other top young prospect, we definitely need guys who are demonstratively passionate about the game (ahem, bring back Jeff Adrien please!). Besides, I actually still think KG is good for us defensively! I was skeptical of bringing KG back (I actually liked Young), but he's really won me over and with Towns on the roster, he makes even more sense.

An interesting comparison is KG versus Kobe. Both are well past their primes, but one guy has accepted his role as one whose primary purpose is to bring out the best in others, while the other is still trying to be the center of attention. Kobe's presence is corrosive for that young Lakers team, whereas I agree KG is a net plus for the Wolves.

Yeah well the reality is both are really playing out how they played the game their ENTIRE careers. Kobe is a very talented all around player that's a designed scorer and that's his mentality plus he has even admitted recently he has no friends. KG is one the best all around players of any era and was always about the team.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Also I would vote for Towns as President...wait no I wouldn't because I want him to be playing basketball for the next 20 years and also I like the kid. Who wants to vote someone you like into the meat grinder of the presidency? Lol
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

Q12543 wrote:

Amen. Tirico and Mark Jackson even made that observation (KG is better for young guys than Kobe) on national TV in L.A. Yikes!

In part it's about roles. It's easier to accept an old guy working hard on defense than an old guy taking 24 shots (even if that old guy is Kobe).

And in part it's about personality. While Kobe's personality has always alienated teammates, KG usually directs his assholery toward players on the other team (sorry Rick Rickert), and his intensity seems to be more infectious to his teammates.

SameOldNudityDrew wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

Amen. Tirico and Mark Jackson even made that observation (KG is better for young guys than Kobe) on national TV in L.A. Yikes!

In part it's about roles. It's easier to accept an old guy working hard on defense than an old guy taking 24 shots (even if that old guy is Kobe).

And in part it's about personality. While Kobe's personality has always alienated teammates, KG usually directs his assholery toward players on the other team (sorry Rick Rickert), and his intensity seems to be more infectious to his teammates.

Right, while is antics are sometimes a little clownish, it really does sort of divert attention away from the other guys. He's sort of their emotional leader and court jester, while the others can just be themselves and fly under the radar.

But ultimately, the guy who can be both our emotional AND floor leader is Ricky Rubio. What he did last night was pretty damn inspirational. KG helps, but this is Ricky's team ultimately.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q12543 wrote:
SameOldNudityDrew wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

Right, while is antics are sometimes a little clownish, it really does sort of divert attention away from the other guys. He's sort of their emotional leader and court jester, while the others can just be themselves and fly under the radar.

But ultimately, the guy who can be both our emotional AND floor leader is Ricky Rubio. What he did last night was pretty damn inspirational. KG helps, but this is Ricky's team ultimately.

Interestingly Q, that's exactly what KG told Ricky last season when he got here. KG pulled Ricky aside and said this is your team. But as someone else mentioned, KG has always been the ultimate team player and the epitome of unselfish play. So the transition to his current role is a natural one for him. He is still effective on the court as a player. In addition, he teaches, he leads and he inspires. I had some doubts at the time, but I now consider the KG acquisition one of Flip's greatest moves among a list of many excellent moves as PBO.

I actually had a great email exchange with Flip about the KG acquisition. I questioned the move and wondered what value KG would have as an old vet with seriously diminished skills on a young rebuilding team. Flip responded by saying that KG can still play and he pointed to Tim Duncan as an example of what a high IQ big man can do at that age. He mentioned KG's mentorship ability given his passion, IQ and future hall of fame credentials. The most interesting thing I remember from Flip's response was the following: "He's going to show our young guys the future." His point was that KG's mere presence would generate a level of excitement and represent a degree of success and adoration that can be achieved here as a Mnnesota Timberwolf. It would help encourage these young guys to buy in and stay positive and remain here for the long haul.