Warriors offering Klay Thompson..

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Warriors offering Klay Thompson..

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

lipoli390 wrote:Foye - Could be the calm before the storm. But more likely teams have cooled off on pursuing Love because they've figured out that Flip doesn't intend to trade him. Flip has a very high regard for his own coaching ability. So he probably thinks he can get this team to do so well next season that Love will want to stay. Hope I'm wrong. If I'm right, the Wolves will trade Love for a pathetic return in February and Glen's decision to hire Flip as our President of Basketball Operations will go down as another in a long line of hiring blunders by our Wolves' beloved owner.

On the flip (pun intended) side of things, what if Flip does get the Wolves to a top-six seed and a first round win? Still playing "what if", but a top-six seed plus a first round win in the West would have to make Love think about staying. Instead of a blunder, it could turn out to be a huge reward and Flip looks like a genius. All starts with the improved scoring from Rubio, the emergence of Dieng off the bench and Budinger's health. Would be a great story, aye?
foye2smith [enjin:6593248]

Post by foye2smith [enjin:6593248] »

lipoli390 wrote:Foye - Could be the calm before the storm. But more likely teams have cooled off on pursuing Love because they've figured out that Flip doesn't intend to trade him. Flip has a very high regard for his own coaching ability. So he probably thinks he can get this team to do so well next season that Love will want to stay. Hope I'm wrong. If I'm right, the Wolves will trade Love for a pathetic return in February and Glen's decision to hire Flip as our President of Basketball Operations will go down as another in a long line of hiring blunders by our Wolves' beloved owner.

I mentioned this in another trade regarding whether Love will be on the roster opening night. I think we're taking for granted that this is normal in any sense. The timing and the caliber of player of this trade hasn't really happened before;a star entering his prime traded on draft night. It just hasn't really happened and as much as everyone is saying "strike now..." it'd be normal/easy for Flip to wait too long like past GMs have done before him.

Itd be dependent on the haul but we'd have to be somewhat impressed if Flip went outside the norm and traded Love by draft night however obvious it seems to us armchair GMs.

Just a quick question: Which one would you rather have?

A. Klay Thompson at $12M per year.
B. Kevin Martin at $6.5M per year.
C. Nik Stauskas at $2.5M per year.

"Warriors guard Klay Thompson understands that trade discussions involving him and Minnesota's Kevin Love are part of the business and has the "right attitude," Mychal Thompson, his father, told NBC Sports Radio on Saturday. "He's got the right attitude," Mychal said. "He's not getting personally offended by his name being rumored to go someplace. He understands that unless your name is LeBron James or it's Kevin Durant, anybody could be thrown into a trade or talked about in a trade. "So he's got a professional approach about it, and if he ends up with the Lakers, great. He'll make the most of it. He'll be thrilled to be (in Los Angeles). But if he stays with Golden State, then he'll be happy to stay up there with those guys. If he got traded to Minnesota? I told him, 'Hey, you get to play with Ricky Rubio, the best passer in the game.'" Contra Costa Times - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/minnesota_timberwolves#sthash.3sQYzRN7.dpuf"
horatio81 [enjin:7751176]

Post by horatio81 [enjin:7751176] »

Honest question: do people think we have a route to contention other than the okc blueprint? Given our clear status as a non-destination, our inability to attract first tier free agents, and the absence of a San Antonio-caliber organization, I think it's pretty clear what we need to do: bottom out. Hard. All the way. Contend for the very worst record every year for the next four years and pray you go 2 for 4 (or better) in the lottery.

That's it. That is literally our only road.

horatio81 wrote:Honest question: do people think we have a route to contention other than the okc blueprint? Given our clear status as a non-destination, our inability to attract first tier free agents, and the absence of a San Antonio-caliber organization, I think it's pretty clear what we need to do: bottom out. Hard. All the way. Contend for the very worst record every year for the next four years and pray you go 2 for 4 (or better) in the lottery.

That's it. That is literally our only road.

Or...

Go the Golden State, Indiana route. Draft well and trade well. Grow your own talent. Make appropriate trades.

Bottoming out doesn't ensure anything in the draft. No guarantee to have a top pick. No guarantee to select the right player even if you do have a top pick.

The most important thing is having the right staff to develop the young talent. That's mainly why the Wolves have been shitty the past decade.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I generally agree we don't have to bottom out. However, I don't think poor player development has been our problem. Our problem has been poor player SELECTION. Consider Wes Johnson, Derrick Williams, Jonny Flynn, Wayne Ellington, Lazar Hayward, and Malcolm Lee. Note all these picks played elsewhere after playing here and none of them has become better. Then you have players acquired via trade or free agency - Beasley, Darko, Anthony Randolph, etc. They didn't get worse here or better after leaving here.

Bottom line is that this organization has repeatedly made terrible player personnel decisions in drafts and in player transactions. The Thunder had luck with the chance to draft Durant, but they had the good sense to draft hm and not get cute with some silly trade. They drafted Westbrook at #4, which was significantly higher than he was projected to go. They took James Harden higher than he was expected to go and ended up trading him for cap reasons, but got a nice return for him. Ibaka was a smart move. The Spurs took Parker with the last pick in the 1st round and Manu with the second to last pick in the second round. Splitter, Hill, Leonard, Green, etc., were more smart acquisitions by a very smart organization.

So we don't need to bottom out. And player development is a red herring. We need much better player personnel decisions, especially draft decisions. We have to hope that Flip will take our front office to a new level of success in that regard. So far, the Dieng pick gives us some hope. The Shabazz pick remains an unknown. Collectively, the signings of Pek, Brewer, Budinger, Martin, and Turiaf aren't terrible, but they don't suggest a top of the line front office.
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

It's a moot point. No way the Wolves could afford to bottom out another 4 years. They wouldn't be able to fill a high school gym at that point
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Camden wrote:Just a quick question: Which one would you rather have?

I'd take A, then C, then B. I will take the proven young guy that still has a lot of room for growth over a guy with similar stats who is on the decline and over the guy who has yet to prove anything. Stauskas probably can't even be had at 13 anymore so the Wolves would have to trade with Boston and take him at 6. That's a huge risk compared to just taking Klay.
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:
Camden wrote:Just a quick question: Which one would you rather have?

I'd take A, then C, then B. I will take the proven young guy that still has a lot of room for growth over a guy with similar stats who is on the decline and over the guy who has yet to prove anything. Stauskas probably can't even be had at 13 anymore so the Wolves would have to trade with Boston and take him at 6. That's a huge risk compared to just taking Klay.

If it's for the future id go A,C,B. If it's for one season ill go A.B.C