Might as well talk draft....

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
KG4Ever

Re: Might as well talk draft....

Post by KG4Ever »

Okongwu/Wiseman, Edwards, Haliburton, Vassell, Topin, Killian Hayes, Dani, Bey, Patrick Williams, LaMelo is my top 12 (not necessarily in that order).
Volans19

Post by Volans19 »

Say the Wolves take Wiseman #1... any interest in Cole Anthony at #17?
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Volans19 wrote:Say the Wolves take Wiseman #1... any interest in Cole Anthony at #17?

I would take the risk on the higher ceiling RJ Hampton with that pick over Anthony if both are still there. The Porter Jr. pick is paying dividends for the Nuggets taking the risk on the former highly ranked player who fell in the draft. I think RJ can be that same guy in the right situation and for us he'd be able to come off the bench running the second unit with the potential to be a long-term fit next to Russell due to his size.
worldK

Post by worldK »

With the Ben Simmons hope extinguished. Im going with drafting Wiseman #1 overall.

He fits a need and has the overall talent to be the best player in this draft. Draft Wiseman and play him with Towns. I dont see how the system wont work with 2 bigs who can play fast. I have high hopes on culver still. He may end up being jaylen brown like. Not an all star but a solid starting piece.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

khans2k5 wrote:
Volans19 wrote:Say the Wolves take Wiseman #1... any interest in Cole Anthony at #17?

I would take the risk on the higher ceiling RJ Hampton with that pick over Anthony if both are still there. The Porter Jr. pick is paying dividends for the Nuggets taking the risk on the former highly ranked player who fell in the draft. I think RJ can be that same guy in the right situation and for us he'd be able to come off the bench running the second unit with the potential to be a long-term fit next to Russell due to his size.

Hampton will be a stud. Has all the tools. High IQ and motor.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

If we pass on Wiseman at 1, I am becoming extremely comfortable taking Jalen Smith at 17.

I went into a review of video for Smith and Oturu to compare games. Very different skillsets evident after watching several videos. Here are some things that are clear strengths fro Smith that make him extremely appealing for Wolves:

- Very switchable on perimeter defense. Oturu was horrible in this space, but Jalen's footwork is extremely good....especially for a guy his size.
- Disruptive defender all over court. Quick hands on perimeter, as well as extremely good fundamentals as shot blocker.
- Emerging offensive game that will compliment KAT. Good rim runner, and solid range on shot.
- Very good athlete. I believe this is important, as KAT puts pressure on other defenders to cover up for his deficiencies. Need to be quick.

Deficiencies:
- Not a highly skilled assist man. Limited in his ability to get others involved. That said, he will have very minimal role on this TWolves team as facilitator. He will be asked to dunk, defend and shoot some 3's.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

KiwiMatt wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:

I watched all the video of Hampton I could find on the Internet over the weekend. I agree with you. He has a huge upside and the full package - positional size, athleticism and skill. He has that blow-by 1st and 2nd step that could make him special, especially with his size and handle. If he's available at #17 I'd grab him unless the Wolves have already taken Edwards or Ball at #1.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Nope.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:

Nope.

FWIW In February I was visiting my brother and fortunately watched a bunch of College games. We watched at least one of Anthony's games and one of them my brother was absolutely roasting him for his defense. My brother is pretty smart and did some coaching for a few years so he looks at the game differently than I do. I think Anthony's defense reminds me of sort of a Lavine guy that sorta tries And has physical ability to defend but is clueless and even if he stays with the guy he still offers little resistance. I'm not against him at #17 but I'm also guessing there will be a bunch of guys I like at that spot. FWIW Jon K said on a somewhat recent podcast the Wolves are planning to sign some sort of vet PG to be an option as a backup and they probably should do that but honestly I'd be cool with playing J-Mac those minutes and see what we really have there.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

lipoli390 wrote:
KiwiMatt wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:

I watched all the video of Hampton I could find on the Internet over the weekend. I agree with you. He has a huge upside and the full package - positional size, athleticism and skill. He has that blow-by 1st and 2nd step that could make him special, especially with his size and handle. If he's available at #17 I'd grab him unless the Wolves have already taken Edwards or Ball at #1.

R.J. Hampton actually reminds me of a less springy, raw Zach LaVine at this stage of his career. There's definitely upside there and I like him, but whether I would select him at 17 obviously depends on what we do with that first pick and who else is picked within those 15 picks as I have guys that I like more than Hampton too.

Lip, after watching some more of Hampton, do you better understand why I think his draft stock is comparable or similar to LaMelo Ball's? Drafting for skills and physical tools without seeing much actual production or refinement. It's like buying a brand new car based on an advertisement without test driving it.