Might as well talk draft....

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Re: Might as well talk draft....

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Camden0916 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/1327041680806191106?s=21

Funny how one team doesn't seem to be on that list yet that's the team that's likely gonna draft him somehow.

I thought I read that LaMelo Ball did an individual workout for the Wolves earlier this week. I could be misremembering, though.

He did, but he's also worked with the Warriors previously and they still showed up to this workout. With the limited tape on these players why wouldn't you be there if you were serious about drafting him?
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

khans2k5 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

Funny how one team doesn't seem to be on that list yet that's the team that's likely gonna draft him somehow.

I thought I read that LaMelo Ball did an individual workout for the Wolves earlier this week. I could be misremembering, though.

He did, but he's also worked with the Warriors previously and they still showed up to this workout. With the limited tape on these players why wouldn't you be there if you were serious about drafting him?

Good point. Either the Wolves felt like they've seen enough, which is absurd, or they're utilizing resources and time elsewhere. Obviously, I'm hopeful it's the latter.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Camden0916 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

Good point. Either the Wolves felt like they've seen enough, which is absurd, or they're utilizing resources and time elsewhere. Obviously, I'm hopeful it's the latter.

They were on a zoom call with Edwards :)
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

khans2k5 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

I don't see the need to attend Ball's multi-team workout given the fact that the Wolves had already conducted their own private individual workout with him. So I don't think the Wolves decision not to attend that Ball's multi-team workout says anything about whether the Wolves will draft him. If workouts matter to the Wolves front office, then I hope they get private workouts with Wiseman and Okongwu.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

lipoli390 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

I don't see the need to attend Ball's multi-team workout given the fact that the Wolves had already conducted their own private individual workout with him. So I don't think the Wolves decision not to attend that Ball's multi-team workout says anything about whether the Wolves will draft him. If workouts matter to the Wolves front office, then I hope they get private workouts with Wiseman and Okongwu.

These private workouts kill me. So what? He made some good moves against some scrubs and looked good with his shirt off. Let's draft him.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

BizarroJerry wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

These private workouts kill me. So what? He made some good moves against some scrubs and looked good with his shirt off. Let's draft him.

Sometimes... that's telling. (See Kevin Garnett)
Sometimes... it's not. (See Yi Jianlian)
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Darren Wolfson was on Dane Moore's podcast today and he said that the Wolves had Tyler Herro pegged as a late first-round pick last year...

Wolfson also said they "red-flagged" Herro's dad for reasons unknown to him. He didn't know why and also didn't explain if LaVar Ball would also be a red flag for this front office.

If Wolfson is right about the Wolves having Herro as a late first-round pick, then that doesn't give me as much confidence as I thought I had in their ability to evaluate talent. Herro was pretty clearly a lottery pick and I had him solidly in my top-10.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:Darren Wolfson was on Dane Moore's podcast today and he said that the Wolves had Tyler Herro pegged as a late first-round pick last year...

Wolfson also said they "red-flagged" Herro's dad for reasons unknown to him. He didn't know why and also didn't explain if LaVar Ball would also be a red flag for this front office.

If Wolfson is right about the Wolves having Herro as a late first-round pick, then that doesn't give me as much confidence as I thought I had in their ability to evaluate talent. Herro was pretty clearly a lottery pick and I had him solidly in my top-10.

That's troubling, Cam. Combine that with the fact that the Wolves front office traded up for Garland, missed on him, took Culver instead and then refused offers to trade back in.

I was impressed by the thorough prep of our front office as highlighted in the article posted in a different thread. But in the end, it's about judgment. No matter how much information you have, how many people you consult or how thorough your prep, the draft boils down to the judgment of the person in charge - and for the Wolves, that's Rosas. For the Warriors it was Larry Riley made the judgment call to draft Curry in spite of pressure to trade the pick for Amare Stoudemire. It was Larry Riley again showing sound judgment in drafting Kay Thompson at #11 and Draymond Green in the second round.

This latest bit of information from Doogie (assuming it's true) casts further doubt on Gersson's judgment. But last year was his first draft and this year is his chance to put those doubts to rest by showing good judgment with the plethora of draft assets, including the top pick in the first round, the third pick in the 2nd round (#33) and the #17 pick in between.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

By the way, speaking of judgment, I think Kevin McHale had the best draft judgment of any Wolves PBO. His good judgment was evident in his decisions to draft KG out of high school and trade down for Kevin Love. Both moves were counter to the prevailing popular wisdom. He also showed good judgment picking up Chauncey Billups. Unfortunately, McHale was notoriously lazy and his prep was the antithesis of the thorough "no-stones unturned" approach under Rosas. If only we could combine McHale's judgment with the thorough prep and professionalism of Rosas. Then again, maybe can. Rosas is consulting Rudy T. Maybe he can consult Kevin McHale. :)
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Yo Cam... can you post your entire #1 - 30 so we can look back at it next year?

Thanks.