Jimmy Butler Trade Ideas

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
mjs34

Re: Jimmy Butler Trade Ideas

Post by mjs34 »

longstrangetrip wrote:
Hicks123 wrote:And would it be the worst thing if Butler comes in with a chip and dominates the first month or so? By Dec, all of the guys that signed contracts this year are eligible to be traded. This opens up a TON of players at teams that we can't work with today. There is always a team that gets the itch to win and would gamble on a dominant player like Butler. Our big risk is injury and timing of said injury.....a real risk with Butler.

Yeah, it could be fun Hicks. I've been trying to find something to get excited for this season, and Adebeyo and JRich just wasn't doing it for me. But an angry Butler wreaking havoc on the court, and winning some games...that oculd be fun. And who knows, maybe he decides he likes it here and we actually do something this year.

This would be a better situation for the wolves, but I fear it is just wishful thinking. Butler didn't travel with the team to Milwaukee. Thibs stated he was back working on conditioning. After Wednesday, does anyone think his conditioning is an issue?

My guess is that Taylor promised towns he was gone so Kat would sign his new deal.
Monster

Post by Monster »

sjm34 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
Hicks123 wrote:And would it be the worst thing if Butler comes in with a chip and dominates the first month or so? By Dec, all of the guys that signed contracts this year are eligible to be traded. This opens up a TON of players at teams that we can't work with today. There is always a team that gets the itch to win and would gamble on a dominant player like Butler. Our big risk is injury and timing of said injury.....a real risk with Butler.

Yeah, it could be fun Hicks. I've been trying to find something to get excited for this season, and Adebeyo and JRich just wasn't doing it for me. But an angry Butler wreaking havoc on the court, and winning some games...that oculd be fun. And who knows, maybe he decides he likes it here and we actually do something this year.

This would be a better situation for the wolves, but I fear it is just wishful thinking. Butler didn't travel with the team to Milwaukee. Thibs stated he was back working on conditioning. After Wednesday, does anyone think his conditioning is an issue?

My guess is that Taylor promised towns he was gone so Kat would sign his new deal.

FWIW Taj said Butler was gassed at the end of the Wednesday practice. Like Wolfson said today on Twitter playing in games is a pretty good way of getting ready to actually playing them for conditioning. It's obviously somewhat of a ruse but I also wouldn't be surprised if Butler wasn't actually in game shape. Remember Butler said himself he hadn't "Hooped is so...long" right!?!? Lol
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

I just don't think butler wants to risk an injury before his "trade me by friday demand".
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

crazy-canuck wrote:I just don't think butler wants to risk an injury before his "trade me by friday demand".

But if Thibs wants to keep him, why not make him play.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

monsterpile wrote:
sjm34 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

FWIW Taj said Butler was gassed at the end of the Wednesday practice. Like Wolfson said today on Twitter playing in games is a pretty good way of getting ready to actually playing them for conditioning. It's obviously somewhat of a ruse but I also wouldn't be surprised if Butler wasn't actually in game shape. Remember Butler said himself he hadn't "Hooped is so...long" right!?!? Lol

The Ringer NBA pod said he was out of shape as well. He basically practiced for an hour to 90 minutes and was done. Definitely not in game shape yet.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Back to reality. If not for all the issues surrounding Butler, he'd be with the team in Milwaukee regardless of his conditioning. Butler still has at least one foot out the door.

Will he play in the regular season if not traded by then? Probably, but he'd clearly prefer not to. Playing would pose a big injury risk that could jeapordize Butler's desire to get traded as well as the Wolves interest in getting value for him in a trade.

The thought that he'll play this season and re-sign here next summer is pure fantasy. There is some minimal chance he'll stay but he won't re-sign. Take that to the bank.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:Back to reality. If not for all the issues surrounding Butler, he'd be with the team in Milwaukee regardless of his conditioning. Butler still has at least one foot out the door.

Will he play in the regular season if not traded by then? Probably, but he'd clearly prefer not to. Playing would pose a big injury risk that could jeapordize Butler's desire to get traded as well as the Wolves interest in getting value for him in a trade.

The thought that he'll play this season and re-sign here next summer is pure fantasy. There is some minimal chance he'll stay but he won't re-sign. Take that to the bank.

I agree with you however feel like I have no idea what the hell is going on and there is certainly more questions (however small) about what Butler is going to do 13 minutes or 3 days or 5.3489 months from now than the beginning of the week. Hopefully that creates a bit more leverage in this ridonkculous situation. As optimistic as I usually am...I don't know if it really matters both for how Butler plays out and the franchise going forward the next couple years. There are so many questions about this team it feels hard to hope things go right. Okogie is the bright spot for this franchise at the moment for me and I haven't given up on Towns being an MVP type player some day.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Miami are hesitant to give us Richardson, Bam and their 1st. They are also hesitant to take on Dieng contract. With current roster and cap situation they really can't afford to take on any more bad contracts, especially if they need to pay Butler 30 mil a season going forward.

What if we took on one of their contracts in exchange for their 1st as well as demanding they give us Bam and Richardson?

Something like:

MIN receive: Richardson, Adebayo, J. Johnson and 2019 1st round pick (Lottery protected)

MIA receive: Butler and Gibson

Why would Minnesota do this? The addition of Richardson and Bam at least softens the blow of losing Butler. J Johnson has 3 years and 45 mil owing on his contract, but the last year is a team option. Johnson would also give us some toughness off the bench, and is also a very good passer. The addition of the MIA 2019 1st would give us two 1st round picks in next years draft to round out our roster, thus we wouldn't really need to splash out next off season to sign free agents.

Why would Miami do this? Well obviously they get Butler and his likely hood of resigning there, but also Taj Gibson who would slot straight into their starting lineup. It is also gives them a 14 mil expiring contract coming off the books at end of season while also unloading James Johnson contract. Dragic / Wade / Butler / Gibson / Whiteside is a impressive starting lineup with guys like Waiters, T Johnson, Olynyk, Winslow and Ellington off the bench. That's a solid roster and would make some noise in the East.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

KiwiMatt wrote:Miami are hesitant to give us Richardson, Bam and their 1st. They are also hesitant to take on Dieng contract. With current roster and cap situation they really can't afford to take on any more bad contracts, especially if they need to pay Butler 30 mil a season going forward.

What if we took on one of their contracts in exchange for their 1st as well as demanding they give us Bam and Richardson?

Something like:

MIN receive: Richardson, Adebayo, J. Johnson and 2019 1st round pick (Lottery protected)

MIA receive: Butler and Gibson

Why would Minnesota do this? The addition of Richardson and Bam at least softens the blow of losing Butler. J Johnson has 3 years and 45 mil owing on his contract, but the last year is a team option. Johnson would also give us some toughness off the bench, and is also a very good passer. The addition of the MIA 2019 1st would give us two 1st round picks in next years draft to round out our roster, thus we wouldn't really need to splash out next off season to sign free agents.

Why would Miami do this? Well obviously they get Butler and his likely hood of resigning there, but also Taj Gibson who would slot straight into their starting lineup. It is also gives them a 14 mil expiring contract coming off the books at end of season while also unloading James Johnson contract. Dragic / Wade / Butler / Gibson / Whiteside is a impressive starting lineup with guys like Waiters, T Johnson, Olynyk, Winslow and Ellington off the bench. That's a solid roster and would make some noise in the East.

I would rather give them Patton. I really think Taj has some value with our younger guys.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

sjm34 wrote:I would rather give them Patton. I really think Taj has some value with our younger guys.

That and Thibs head would explode if he had to trade both Jimmy and Taj! It'd be like giving up his first and second born, you know, if he actually had a woman who would reproduce with him. I imagine they'd make some cute little baby penguins though!