Jimmy Butler Trade Ideas

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Jimmy Butler Trade Ideas

Post by Lipoli390 »

thedoper wrote:
TheFuture wrote:Three team deal with Raptors and Kings.

MN: OG Anunoby, Serge Ibaka, WCS

Toronto: Butler

Kings: Dieng, Toronto 1st

That's pretty creative. I like it.

Yes, creative and a very nice deal for the Wolves. But I'm not sure the Kings would consider taking on Gorgui's contract would be worth one of the bottom 3 or 4 first round picks. Definitely a deal I'd propose if I were Thibodeau.

Here's another thought. Returning to my suggested draft night deal, how about Butler and Gorgui to Memphis for Parsons and Jaren Jackson.

Why would this Memphis deal be a good one for the Wolves? Because we would get a potentially great young defensive big (who also has offensive upside) to play alongside KAT on a cap-friendly rookie-scale contract. Best case, we also get a very good SF who can hit threes. Worst case, Chandler is permanently damaged goods, but his contract ends in two years in which case the deal will have rid us of Gorgui's contract a year earlier.

Why would Memphis do the deal? Because their core players put them in a win-now situation. Conley will turn 31 in a week. Marc Gasol turns 34 in January. They've traded their 2019 first round pick already so it's not like they're poised for a rebuild.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

lipoli390 wrote:
thedoper wrote:

Yes, creative and a very nice deal for the Wolves. But I'm not sure the Kings would consider taking on Gorgui's contract would be worth one of the bottom 3 or 4 first round picks. Definitely a deal I'd propose if I were Thibodeau.

Here's another thought. Returning to my suggested draft night deal, how about Butler and Gorgui to Memphis for Parsons and Jaren Jackson.

Why would this Memphis deal be a good one for the Wolves? Because we would get a potentially great young defensive big (who also has offensive upside) to play alongside KAT on a cap-friendly rookie-scale contract. Best case, we also get a very good SF who can hit threes. Worst case, Chandler is permanently damaged goods, but his contract ends in two years in which case the deal will have rid us of Gorgui's contract a year earlier.

Why would Memphis do the deal? Because their core players put them in a win-now situation. Conley will turn 31 in a week. Marc Gasol turns 34 in January. They've traded their 2019 first round pick already so it's not like they're poised for a rebuild.

Parsons still has one year after this one. You'd have to really believe in Jackson for that deal. And if that is the case I don't think Memphis does it.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Lip, I would do the memphis deal. Im high on JJJ. He can shoot the 3 and could be a great pairing with Towns down the line.

Im conflicted if memphis would do it though. Adding jimmy with conley and gasol puts them back into the playoffs this season. But will Jimmy re sign with them? They may end up losing JJJ long term for nothing. JJJ is the only young prospect they have now and as you mentioned, they dont have a pick next year. Is making the playoffs this year worth it for them? They are also a team that has difficulty attracting free agents so that works against them as well.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

worldK wrote:Lip, I would do the memphis deal. Im high on JJJ. He can shoot the 3 and could be a great pairing with Towns down the line.

Im conflicted if memphis would do it though. Adding jimmy with conley and gasol puts them back into the playoffs this season. But will Jimmy re sign with them? They may end up losing JJJ long term for nothing. JJJ is the only young prospect they have now and as you mentioned, they dont have a pick next year. Is making the playoffs this year worth it for them? They are also a team that has difficulty attracting free agents so that works against them as well.

I think Memphis would do the deal. The really have no choice. Their window is closing based on the age of their only two stars. Adding Butler makes them a contender for a top 4 finish in the West. Otherwise, the Grizzlies have a very, very long rebuild ahead of them since Jaren would be their only young talent to build around and they'd have to wait until 2020 for a 1st round pick. But you're right that Memphis would risk a one-year rental situation, so it would be a tough decision for them.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
worldK wrote:Lip, I would do the memphis deal. Im high on JJJ. He can shoot the 3 and could be a great pairing with Towns down the line.

I think Memphis would do the deal. The really have no choice. Their window is closing based on the age of their only two stars. Adding Butler makes them a contender for a top 4 finish in the West. Otherwise, the Grizzlies have a very, very long rebuild ahead of them since Jaren would be their only young talent to build around and they'd have to wait until 2020 for a 1st round pick. But you're right that Memphis would risk a one-year rental situation, so it would be a tough decision for them.

I think what might keep Memphis from doing the deal is having to pay Dieng that 3rd year. Gasol will be off the books and so unless they sign someone beyound Conley and Kyle Anderson they would have minimal money on the books. No they probably won't be able to get FAs but having a on of cap space can have some real benefits to a team looking to start over. If they wanted to make one more run there isn't going to be a better deal out there than that though. I would think that would be pretty hard to turn down for Memphis. For the Wolves side is Jaren Jackson enough of a return? I liked him in the draft but I didn't do enough research on him to say for sure but I'd be ready to pull the trigger. This is the type of thing that could come out of nowhere though and it was somewhere along the lines of what people wanted to do around the draft.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

I think Gasol is planning on re-upping, and would likely do that next season. As long as they get Jimmy to commit, it would make sense for both teams. Memphis would be adding more salary though, and I believe are already over the tax line.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

lipoli390 wrote:
thedoper wrote:

Maybe there needs to be a second or two headed the kings way, but the trade makes sense all around.

Kings are in a rebuild, and seem to actually be doing it right by stockpiling young talent. They are years off, so the Dieng contract really doesn't hurt them as he comes off by the time they need to pay anybody. They also will lose their own pick this year, so having any 1st rounder is big for them in order to continue to add talent.

Toronto is taking a huge risk with two potential rentals in Kawhi and Butler, but this trade makes them a top 4 team in the league and a great matchup for the Celtics and Warriors. Lowry/Butler/Kawhi/Siakim/JV for bigger lineups and Lowry/Green/Butler/Kawhi/Siakim or JV for small ball. Plus retaining a good bench. They made the decision to go all in, why not go all the way. Also ups their chances of keeping both Butler and Kawhi.

For the wolves you get the obvious young talent OG who fits great at the 3 or as our small ball 4. Get to test how a true stretch 4/rim protector works next to KAT in Serge, and get a backup athletic C in WCS who still has a lot of potential. Can test if KAT needs a stretch 4 or if he should be the stretch 4.

I love the trade, and think it makes sense for every team.

As for your Memphis trade - I like it (JJJ and KAT would be such a dynamic frontcourt) but I don't think Memphis does it. Very doubtful Jimmy resigns there with aging injury plagued stars. Memphis is going to keep their two fan favorite Memphis forever duo and rebuild while they play out their last contracts. They need JJJ to be a hit, they can't risk losing him for nothing.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I've been racking my brain today thinking about young players we might be able to get that are underappreciated and under team control for a while. When people got twitterpated about Wolves scout Pete Mickeal being at the Hornets Heat game tonight I got to thinking what the Hornets might have to offer ( no we probably aren't getting Kemba) and thought maybe Monk would maybe be a player worth targeting especially if the offers keep looking meh. I am not sure there is much else to be had there without taking back another salary or 2 for next season but Monk does intrigue me. His skillset offensively could be handy for this roster.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

monsterpile wrote:I've been racking my brain today thinking about young players we might be able to get that are underappreciated and under team control for a while. When people got twitterpated about Wolves scout Pete Mickeal being at the Hornets Heat game tonight I got to thinking what the Hornets might have to offer ( no we probably aren't getting Kemba) and thought maybe Monk would maybe be a player worth targeting especially if the offers keep looking meh. I am not sure there is much else to be had there without taking back another salary or 2 for next season but Monk does intrigue me. His skillset offensively could be handy for this roster.

The thing with the Hornets is they won't be able to resign butler so why give up young asset in monk.
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek1 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:I've been racking my brain today thinking about young players we might be able to get that are underappreciated and under team control for a while. When people got twitterpated about Wolves scout Pete Mickeal being at the Hornets Heat game tonight I got to thinking what the Hornets might have to offer ( no we probably aren't getting Kemba) and thought maybe Monk would maybe be a player worth targeting especially if the offers keep looking meh. I am not sure there is much else to be had there without taking back another salary or 2 for next season but Monk does intrigue me. His skillset offensively could be handy for this roster.

The thing with the Hornets is they won't be able to resign butler so why give up young asset in monk.

Yeah Michael Jordon would have to actually consider paying the Lux tax to sign him. Butler has his endorsement deal with Nike Jumpman brand so I'm sure that would matter....jk lol To make any deal we would probably have to take back a guy that gets some decent money for next season so that may help. shrug just looking at some options. It sounds like Miles Bridges has already been better than they were hoping.