Like What I'm Hearing........But

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
Coolbreeze44

Like What I'm Hearing........But

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

It seems like there is no shortage of good news and good vibes coming out of Vikings camp so far. The positives are many: Adrian Peterson being totally healthy and ready, Jared Allen prepping for a monster year, Cordarrele Patterson appearing to be a real find in the first round. The problem is that none of the good vibe is coming from most important element on the team - the quarterback position. I've been on record as saying this is going to undermine all the good that is going on with the team. Rick Spielman has seemed to deliver on almost every front with the exception of quarterback. The fact is without improved quarterback play this team cannot move forward. I've seen nothing to suggest that the Vikings can expect to have a top 15 passing offense. And without that the Vikings have proven you can be good, but that you can't expect to contend for a title. So never mind that our roster outside of QB is very good, Rick has failed at this point to solve the biggest hurdle.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Like What I'm Hearing........But

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I think the team is loaded at most positions, but I would rank their weaknesses in this order:
1) Middle linebacker
2) Cornerback
3) Quarterback

Any serious problem at any of these positions will limit the potential of this squad.

I agree, cool, that the early news about Ponder has not been good. It sounds like he hasn't had a good day yet, which is very disappointing after the promise he showed late last season...even without Harvin. The good news is that Cassel has looked sharp and is ready to step in if Ponder continues to struggle. This team has a good chance to really do something, so I don't think Spielman/Frazier will hesitate to turn to Cassel. I'm much more comfortable with the QB situation than I was a year ago.

On the other hand, ML and Cornerback are thin and untested. We're young there so maybe there will be a positive surprise, but I'm holding my breath.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

There are maybe 15 teams in the NFL that are satisfied with their QB situation. The remaining teams are stuck with either established mediocrity or youthful hope. The Vikings have a little bit of both in Ponder and Cassel.

In Ponders first two years (1-1/2 really) he had little outside of Harvin to throw to. This year he'll have no excuse if he doesn't show that hope will be repaid.

What specifically would you have done differently? What established starter would you rather roll with, and what do you think the cost of acquiring him would have been? I really don't have an issue with giving Ponder that chance one last time given the previous lack of receiving talent vs. that which he'll have this year. I just don't know who they could have picked up that would give them a huge leap in performance this offseason.
zicky25 [enjin:6651746]

Post by zicky25 [enjin:6651746] »

I'm pretty sure Josh Freeman and Jay Cutler are both FA's this upcoming offseason and say what you will about both but Jay is for sure better than mediocre which is what ponder has shown to be (SO FAR!!!!) at this point. If he continues mediocrity I would prefer either of these guys if we don't draft one of the 6 first round talent QB's this year.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Yeah, we need to see something different pretty soon. This is getting old. I think your evaluators have to be able to see that this isn't going to work, cut bait and move on. I think their fooling themselves at this point. I think with Alex Smith this team could have gone deep in the playoffs. Hek, talk Jake Plummer out of retirement and it would have given us a better chance. Such a waste of Adrian Peterson's ability.
Wallof Sleep [enjin:6687465]

Post by Wallof Sleep [enjin:6687465] »

So now Patterson is a find after two pre season games? If i'm not mistaken you ripped the choice over at ESPN.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I ripped how much we gave up to get him, not the player himself. Kind of creepy you would remember that though.
JDvikes [enjin:6536888]

Post by JDvikes [enjin:6536888] »

We id give up quite a bit to get him, but I personally was so high on him from what I saw myself, and from my friend from TN has told me from him watching him personally. He is no homer and said without a doubt whomever gets Patterson is going to get THE offensive talent in the draft. For what the word of my good redneck friend is worth lol.
slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095]

Post by slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095] »

I was actually in "hopes" we went after a player for QB two seasons ago, Phillip Rivers. We just did not have the staff involved to even entertain the idea. I know he has struggled the last few years...bad O line, limited WR core at times and a ever injured RB in Matthews...but I always liked his competitiveness and ability to sling. He is still younger, healthy, has a huge arm, and wants to win. If he was a Viking, now with Jennings, Patterson potential, Rudolph, and AP....this team could seriously contend in my opinion.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

slimcalhoun27 wrote:I was actually in "hopes" we went after a player for QB two seasons ago, Phillip Rivers. We just did not have the staff involved to even entertain the idea. I know he has struggled the last few years...bad O line, limited WR core at times and a ever injured RB in Matthews...but I always liked his competitiveness and ability to sling. He is still younger, healthy, has a huge arm, and wants to win. If he was a Viking, now with Jennings, Patterson potential, Rudolph, and AP....this team could seriously contend in my opinion.

Definitely. Do you think the Chargers would have taken the picks we gave up to get Patterson? Might have had to include Ponder but I think something could have been done this offseason.