Keep Ricky in Minnesota

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Re: Keep Ricky in Minnesota

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

Q12543 wrote:
Let me leave you with a list of the point guards with lower true shooting percentages than Rubio (.505) as of today: Dennis Schroder, D'Angelo Russell, Rajon Rondo, Michael Carter-Williams, Brandon Jennings, Aaron Brooks, Rodney Stuckey, Ty Lawson, Pablo Prigioni, Marcus Smart, Elfrid Payton, Jameer Nelson, Shabazz Napier, Greivis Vasquez, Derrick Rose, Norris Cole, Ish Smith, Jerian Grant, and Emmanuel Mudiay.

Thanks for posting that article from Canis Lip.

The paragraph above is interesting. Rubio is actually having a career year in terms of scoring efficiency, but it's mostly because he gets to the line at a decent rate and makes a very good percentage on his free throws. His actual shooting efficiency is still in fact pretty terrible.

That being said, he deserves some credit for being able to draw fouls and knock down free throws at a high rate, as that's what drives his TS% above a lot of those other guys.

True shooting percentage? Man these advanced stats these days. Can't wait to hear Rubio's Super Ultimate pinpoint shooting percentage in 5 years that takes into account how many people are in the crowd divided by how many times he takes a shit before a game
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

alexftbl8181 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
Let me leave you with a list of the point guards with lower true shooting percentages than Rubio (.505) as of today: Dennis Schroder, D'Angelo Russell, Rajon Rondo, Michael Carter-Williams, Brandon Jennings, Aaron Brooks, Rodney Stuckey, Ty Lawson, Pablo Prigioni, Marcus Smart, Elfrid Payton, Jameer Nelson, Shabazz Napier, Greivis Vasquez, Derrick Rose, Norris Cole, Ish Smith, Jerian Grant, and Emmanuel Mudiay.

The paragraph above is interesting. Rubio is actually having a career year in terms of scoring efficiency, but it's mostly because he gets to the line at a decent rate and makes a very good percentage on his free throws. His actual shooting efficiency is still in fact pretty terrible.

That being said, he deserves some credit for being able to draw fouls and knock down free throws at a high rate, as that's what drives his TS% above a lot of those other guys.

True shooting percentage? Man these advanced stats these days. Can't wait to hear Rubio's Super Ultimate pinpoint shooting percentage in 5 years that takes into account how many people are in the crowd divided by how many times he takes a shit before a game

TS% has been around for years. I don't think many people think of it as some obscure stat. All it does is roll up FTs, 3-pters, and 2-pters into one representation of scoring efficiency. It's not that hard.
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

Q12543 wrote:
alexftbl8181 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

TS% has been around for years. I don't think many people think of it as some obscure stat. All it does is roll up FTs, 3-pters, and 2-pters into one representation of scoring efficiency. It's not that hard.

Maybe I long for the days before the internet and kids would stay off my damn lawn
Shumway

Post by Shumway »

alexftbl8181 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
alexftbl8181 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

Maybe I long for the days before the internet and kids would stay off my damn lawn

The days when Bob Cousy could be a Championship PG despite a terrible FG%??? Good days.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q12543 wrote:
alexftbl8181 wrote:Again, never said Rubio was not very good, I know that any slight critism and people will automatically turn it up to 11, but I never said that. Yes Boogie does get blame, doesn't mean he isn't good, but yea he should get some blame and does, same with Rubio.

I guess I remember the Wolves always floating around .500 then the Suns went on tear around the ASB and pretty much left the Wolves in the dust.

Maybe the point is Rubio is fine, just not anything special

I won't disagree with you on that final point. I look at aggregated stats that look at everything from pure box score metrics, where he generally rates slightly above average, to the +/- stuff, where he generally rates top 5 or 6 for PGs. I put him somewhere in between. Which means he's.....fine. Not awesome. Not mediocre. But fine. A fine PG can indeed lead a team to wins if paired with some super fine players and a decent bench for once.

(and he's also damn fun to watch).

Q - I think you summed it up well. I'd go a bit further than "fine" and say that Ricky is a good to very good PG. He's not great and he's not all-star caliber. But he's a very good all-around PG who is also, as you noted, fun to watch. Surrounded by scorers, Ricky can be a part of a Wolves team that makes the playoffs and possibly contends for the ultimate prize in a few years. I've said it dozens of times and I'll say it again. How far this team goes will ultimately turn on the development of KAT, Wiggins and LaVine. Those are three guys who can average 20-25 points per game. Ricky can help get the best out of all of them.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

I think a lot of you are in for a rude awakening if we ever make the playoffs with Ricky Rubio. The first thing that goes is foul shooting because the refs let them play more. There's a significant drop in his effective scoring ability right off the bat. It's been almost a decade since a primary ball handler who couldn't shoot had any kind of playoff success, but somehow the worst franchise of all time is going to just buck that trend and find a way to win? Sure. Keep dreaming. By the time you guys realize he needs to go his value will be a lot less because of how he will be exposed in the playoffs. Keep citing your advanced stats and plus/minus. All I know is you aren't winning anything in this league if your primary ball handler scores 10 a game and it's been that way for 5+ years now.
Monster

Post by Monster »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:Question for you all: Haven't you already seen the negative impact Ricky has during end of game situations? I know I have. Forget waiting for the playoffs, these things are evident today. We really struggle to get quality shots when the defense digs in. Invariably the ball ends up in Ricky's hands and he either has to take a low percentage jump shot (every jump shot is for him), or pass to a teammate who is covered because Ricky doesn't pull his defender out far enough. You've seen this many times if you've been paying attention.

My point continues to be that Ricky is a good player with a major flaw. Like him as a strong rotation guy. Don't like him when we need him to orchestrate the offense at crunch time.

Is Rubio the problem with the offense in crunch time or is some of what you are seeing a product of youth and inexperience? As you know from being in various levels of basketball teams that know how to play tend to get better looks at the basket no matter what guys they have in. The Wolves tend to have inexperienced guys on the floor in crunch time. Some of that is on the players and some is on Sam and the coaching staff. No Rubio isn't gonna bail you out in situations like that. However he MIGHT make a hustle play or a steal that gives you another shot to win the game. There were some times earlier in the season he made sole pretty poor plays late in games that had nothing to do with his trying to score. It seems like he has moved past those ugly moments which seemed sort of out of character for him. I guess what Inam trying to say is the picture of what a team would look like with Rubio (especially late in games that matter) still seems a bit unclear to me because of the roster and the coaching situation.

I completely respect that you have the position Rubio will be a problem at the end of games but I don't think it's an absolute fact either. It's a very solid stance that you and others have and plenty of reasoning to back it up. I think there is a somewhat decent possibility that Rubio ends up being good enough overall even with his weaknesses to play a role in this team winning close games when it matters. I get it is that's not something you want to bank on.

Reasons why AT THIS POINT I would keep Rubio in MN.

1. Rubio wants to be here and he has said it multiple times and has for a couple years. He took less money at the time to get a deal done. That doesn't make him a saint or anything or make him untouchable but I do think his desire to stay here and build something matters.

2. Rubio to me SEEMS like a guy that will do what it takes to win and shows it on the court. He plays hard with passion all that stuff you want from a player on your team.

3. I don't see a reasonable way at this time that if you move him you get something back that's equal or better. If we didn't get back a PG for him now it would be a very weak position for this team even if it does have some young in house talent like Lavine and Tyus that may be options. After the draft or this summer things could change but it just doesn't seem to make sense right now. If he can make it through the rest of this season healthy that makes him more valuable both to the Wolves and on the market.

4. Lots of scorers and Rubio can feed them

5. He plays D on a team that doesn't.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Shumway wrote:
alexftbl8181 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
alexftbl8181 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

The days when Bob Cousy could be a Championship PG despite a terrible FG%??? Good days.

A few months ago I had some kids dig a hole in my front yard for no apparent reason and they just left the shovels there. They should have been on the internet instead.
Monster

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:I think a lot of you are in for a rude awakening if we ever make the playoffs with Ricky Rubio. The first thing that goes is foul shooting because the refs let them play more. There's a significant drop in his effective scoring ability right off the bat. It's been almost a decade since a primary ball handler who couldn't shoot had any kind of playoff success, but somehow the worst franchise of all time is going to just buck that trend and find a way to win? Sure. Keep dreaming. By the time you guys realize he needs to go his value will be a lot less because of how he will be exposed in the playoffs. Keep citing your advanced stats and plus/minus. All I know is you aren't winning anything in this league if your primary ball handler scores 10 a game and it's been that way for 5+ years now.

Something to consider. When was the last time a championship level team had a center that could efficiently score from any spot on the floor? I can name a bunch of championship centers and bigs that were hardly scoring assets for their teams. Sure Towns ridiculous excellence on the offensive end may not counteract Rubio's weaknesses but damn if anyone could it's Towns.
Mstermisty [enjin:6864008]

Post by Mstermisty [enjin:6864008] »

19 pages here? Wow. This is a young team that is just recently starting to gel. Rubio is a part of that now (note the strong chemistry developing between him and KAT lately) and I'm positive he will be in the future. Keep him. Bring in a competent coach, some more shooting, let the young guys keep developing in their proper roles, and this team can be good with a real chance to be great. Playoffs next season, calling it now (under one condition: Mitchell is out).