Derrick Williams Trade

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Derrick Williams Trade

Post by Monster »

Williams is doing ok in Sac, but the reality is that he isn't that good of a basketball player right now. I'd take Dante over him any day of the week I don't care what the stats are he is better and Luc is better too.

Look the Wolves took what I think at the time was a smart gamble on Williams picking up the option on him and hoping he would have a breakthrough. It never happened he sucked they made a deal to bring in a worthwhile player at a decent salary even if he is overpaid by a couple million or whatever. A few months ago alot of us were unhappy we didn't make a move to give up not much to get Luc. A little while later we gave up not much and moved salary to bring him in. Sadly that not much is Williams.

Luc doesn't add scoring punch thats not the problem. The problem is we don't' have another player to pick up that end and lets be real Williams wasn't a real scoring punch either. he wasn't a good scorer in basically any way you slice it. Bring in some gunner from the D-league I doubt it would be much of a downgrade from Williams. As someone said earlier until Williams shows something for at least a half of a season the guy is a bust. Will he have a place in this league? Yeah sure I do think he is an NBA player, but nothing significant. I'll be happy to be wrong.
Loose Goose [enjin:8265301]

Post by Loose Goose [enjin:8265301] »

My problem with the trade is we just get rid of assets for next to nothing. I would have rather given Williams no mins and put him in the "Dog House" some team would see him as somewhat of an asset. More frustrating is how Trey Burke was a huge asset, one he would fit this team well, two he would be a huge asset but what do we have? Shabazz.....Screw Flip, he better get his head out his butt real quick!
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

Loose Goose wrote:My problem with the trade is we just get rid of assets for next to nothing. I would have rather given Williams no mins and put him in the "Dog House" some team would see him as somewhat of an asset. More frustrating is how Trey Burke was a huge asset, one he would fit this team well, two he would be a huge asset but what do we have? Shabazz.....Screw Flip, he better get his head out his butt real quick!

An asset has to have value in order to be worthwhile. That '63 split window beater has value, the old Rambler just takes up space. DWill is more Rambler than beater Nova and he damn sure isn't a Vette!
worldK

Post by worldK »

Can we stop talking about derrick williams already? The guy got worse in his wolves tenure despite getting minutes,opportunities and many starts in his first 2 season with us and by the time we traded him, he was a complete non factor. He is a better talent than mbah a moute no doubt but the guy couldnt contribute 1 consistent thing to the team nor fill a role.

Mbah a moute is being used as a defensive guy off the bench for us while williams is still finding an nba role in sacramento and now playing behind another star or borderline star in gay. Good luck to him and hope he can find a role for himself in the league.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

worldK wrote:Can we stop talking about derrick williams already? The guy got worse in his wolves tenure despite getting minutes,opportunities and many starts in his first 2 season with us and by the time we traded him, he was a complete non factor. He is a better talent than mbah a moute no doubt but the guy couldnt contribute 1 consistent thing to the team nor fill a role.

Mbah a moute is being used as a defensive guy off the bench for us while williams is still finding an nba role in sacramento and now playing behind another star or borderline star in gay. Good luck to him and hope he can find a role for himself in the league.

I find it odd that you would post in a DW trade thread to ask people to stop talking about him. Don't post in the thread if that is how you feel.

To be more accurate DW was improving throughout last season, and was playing very well. While he wasn't excelling in any one area, he was doing OK in almost all of them. His decline started this season (most likely due to the ongoing issue with Adelman).

The bigger problem with DW is in the fans minds. The reasoning that LRMAM is better for the team because he can play defense is ridiculous. The guy is an absolute train wreck offensively, and last time I checked there are two sides to the game.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

sjm34 wrote:
worldK wrote:Can we stop talking about derrick williams already? The guy got worse in his wolves tenure despite getting minutes,opportunities and many starts in his first 2 season with us and by the time we traded him, he was a complete non factor. He is a better talent than mbah a moute no doubt but the guy couldnt contribute 1 consistent thing to the team nor fill a role.

I find it odd that you would post in a DW trade thread to ask people to stop talking about him. Don't post in the thread if that is how you feel.

To be more accurate DW was improving throughout last season, and was playing very well. While he wasn't excelling in any one area, he was doing OK in almost all of them. His decline started this season (most likely due to the ongoing issue with Adelman).

The bigger problem with DW is in the fans minds. The reasoning that LRMAM is better for the team because he can play defense is ridiculous. The guy is an absolute train wreck offensively, and last time I checked there are two sides to the game.

While DWill may have improved some as last season wore on even then he was unreliable on both ends. Yes he had the potential to score on the offensive end, but at best he was a bad, no, lousy defender. Adelman, nor the fans ever knew if DWill was going to step up on offense from minute to minute, game to game, we know LRMAM will give his all on D and limit the stupidity on O.

DWill will stick around the league because of his physical abilities and the hope that the mental aspect of the game will mature. At best DWill will have a couple very nice years late in his career as the repetition sinks in, but he'll be a negative until such time. Book it!
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Yep.

LRMaM offense= Lion's defense

But,

LRMaM defense> Lion's offense.

Bottom line: Flip wins, but neither player is a savior.
markkbu [enjin:6588958]

Post by markkbu [enjin:6588958] »

longstrangetrip wrote:Yep.

LRMaM offense= Lion's defense

But,

LRMaM defense> Lion's offense.

Bottom line: Flip wins, but neither player is a savior.

+1

Excellent succinct summary.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Sjm, i haven't posted in this thread in a long time. Was surprised to see this thread still going. I've been at this with you multiple times, Williams is no longer here and I have moved on and it seems you have not.

You have always ignored the minutes, starts and opportunities dw got his first 2 years and keep on harping on the benchings he got. I don't have the stats nor did I look into it but I'm sure we have a similar record with dw getting dnpcd than with him starting and getting major minutes.

Mbah a moute is not near the talent dw is. But like it or not, he does have a role on this team and in this league. Dw is still finding himself a role in Sacramento and in the league, he has too much talent to still look lost while playing the game. Will he ever get it? That's for some other team and fans to talk about for me. I'm done with talking about him, you can go on about him until he finally proves you right, whenever that is.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I saw this update on our highest draft pick ever.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post?id=20574&ex_cid=espnapi_public

When Derrick Williams was traded from Minnesota to Sacramento in late November, it was supposed to be a chance for him to blossom while taking on a bigger role on a rebuilding Kings' team. But after a hot start, the former No. 2 overall pick has looked a lot like the same player he was for two-plus seasons in Minnesota -- inconsistent on offense and ineffective on defense.

Coming off the bench since Rudy Gay arrived from Toronto, Williams hasn't provided nearly the lift that the Kings were hoping, at least not yet. How bad is it? Over the past 10 games, he has a player efficiency rating of 6.9, having averaged just 6.2 points and 2.5 rebounds in 22.2 minutes a game. And during that span, he scored five points or less five times.

Sacramento is on the hook with Williams through 2014-15, owing him nearly $6.68 million next season, and will need more out of him if he has any chance of remaining with the team beyond that point.

There are two other factors to keep in mind, here.
Gay has a $19.31 million player option to return to the Kings season, and given how much his value has taken a hit in recent years from the advanced stats crowd, we have to believe there's a decent chance he'll exercise that option. If that happens, Williams will come off the bench again in 2014-15.
If Williams continues to play like the same player he was in Minnesota, it'll be very difficult to trade him at any point this season or next. It's one thing for a former high draft pick to underachieve for the team that drafted him, but when it happens again on a new team it serves as a serious blow to the idea that he may still have "untapped potential."