Stephen A Smith

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Re: Stephen A Smith

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

sjm34 wrote:Kahns, I have the same line of thinking, but I also considered that the cap is likely to take a big hike, which would lessen what they are getting in the grand scheme of things.

I figured the wolves would have a good chance of making the PO's if they did the GS deal. Lee is no Love, but adding Klay and Barnes should give us enough to get over the hump imo.

Max salary is based on a percentage of the salary cap. The hit doesn't get any less unless you lock them in before the spike, which given Lebron's opt out after 1 year I don't know if the spike hits next offseason or the one after which would make a huge difference.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

khans2k5 wrote:
sjm34 wrote:Kahns, I have the same line of thinking, but I also considered that the cap is likely to take a big hike, which would lessen what they are getting in the grand scheme of things.

I figured the wolves would have a good chance of making the PO's if they did the GS deal. Lee is no Love, but adding Klay and Barnes should give us enough to get over the hump imo.

Max salary is based on a percentage of the salary cap. The hit doesn't get any less unless you lock them in before the spike, which given Lebron's opt out after 1 year I don't know if the spike hits next offseason or the one after which would make a huge difference.

The new TV deal is two years away. I think Lebron did the opt out in case he had to take less money to bring in another star player. I've seen estimates for 66 mil for the cap for 2015-16, and then numbers as high as 80 mil for the following season.

Alex, I disagree with that. I think the GS package makes a better team initially, but the difference is Lee is going down while Love is going up. We will definitely be in cap hell though until Lee and Pek drop off or the cap takes a big jump.
all_day_88 [enjin:6666373]

Post by all_day_88 [enjin:6666373] »

offence in general/kevin love is over-rated in my opinion. ya he's really good but he isn't a 2 way player I'd rather have a guy like Derek Favors hands down.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

all_day_88 wrote:offence in general/kevin love is over-rated in my opinion. ya he's really good but he isn't a 2 way player I'd rather have a guy like Derek Favors hands down.

Please retract this statement before you get made fun of.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

all_day_88 wrote:offence in general/kevin love is over-rated in my opinion. ya he's really good but he isn't a 2 way player I'd rather have a guy like Derek Favors hands down.

I don't understand all the Favors love on the boards. He is a good defender with a marginal offensive game. Love's defense is certainly on level with Favors offensively, and Love is a great offensive player.
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

sjm34 wrote:

I don't understand all the Favors love on the boards. He is a good defender with a marginal offensive game. Love's defense is certainly on level with Favors offensively, and Love is a great offensive player.

If you are known as a defensive player and score anymore then 10 points a game, your a 2 way player
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

sjm34 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:

The new TV deal is two years away. I think Lebron did the opt out in case he had to take less money to bring in another star player. I've seen estimates for 66 mil for the cap for 2015-16, and then numbers as high as 80 mil for the following season.

Alex, I disagree with that. I think the GS package makes a better team initially, but the difference is Lee is going down while Love is going up. We will definitely be in cap hell though until Lee and Pek drop off or the cap takes a big jump.

Lebron isn't going to take a paycut. Besides he can't just opt out so they can sign someone. There is still a cap hold. They could renounce that hold, but if they went and tried to sign another max guy like Love, the Cavs couldn't go over the cap to sign him
MikeAz [enjin:6636981]

Post by MikeAz [enjin:6636981] »

Let me get this right. They want the best player in the trade. They want to unload the worst contract in the deal (Lee) and they want a first round draft pick? My dislike for the Warriors grows larger by the day.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

We have no idea what Lebron is likely to do. It could be a situation where he gives up a couple mil for a season to get someone like Love into the fold. Love would certainly be more likely to take a little less if Lebron was doing the same. You might recall a situation like that in Miami a few years back.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Then the question becomes whether or not the salaries become pro-rated to the new cap. Since the max is supposed to be a percentage of the cap based on years of experience and quality of play the first few years, would their cap hit increase to the new cap margin or stay the same? I don't think they would, but I could see it happen. I think an 80 million cap line is way too high regardless of TV money. All a bigger cap does is grossly overpay the middle class which is why this CBA came to be in the first place. The league should find other ways to get the players that money than through their salary because it's just going to lead to another lockout. I'd rather see teams be able to give out 20 million in signing bonuses at their discretion than overpay the role players and have another lockout. Imagine a team being able to offer Lebron a 20 million dollar signing bonus on top of a max deal, but then lose out on one of their own free agents because another team gave that guy an extra 5 million up front. It'd be interesting to see how teams would chose to split up that bonus.