What Are We Getting For Love

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: What Are We Getting For Love

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQt6xyg27E

Here is the 10 minute video of Bennett's rookie year highlights...don't know if it was posted before. First, let's agree that this is a highlight video, and many players can look good in a highlight video. I know that a longer video could be made of his lowlights!

That said, there is a lot to like here, and much that reminds me of his dominance at UNLV. The first thing I see is his athleticism. His jumping ability is extraordinary, especially considering he was carrying 15 extra pounds (he hardly looked like the same guy in SL). Secondly, his ball handling is very good for a big man, and he seems comfortable putting the ball on the floor with either hand. Third, his basketball IQ seems high to me. He has a knack for finding the holes in a defense, and putting himself in a good position to receive the ball and score. I wish that position wasn't around the 3-point line so often, but he does have a nice stroke from there and I think has upper 30's percent potential.

The Cavs will be set at PF with Love and TT, so the Wolves are in an ideal position to get a guy with huge upside as a throw in to the Wiggins deal. I still see him as our starting PF on opening night.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I'll bet anything that Bennett isn't our starting PF on opening night. Not a chance that happens.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Who do you see starting at PF, cam? And who do you want (that is realistic)?

For me, both answers are Bennett, although he will still have a lot of rookie moments. I think it's time to start working toward the future, and giving a lot of minutes to Wiggins, Dieng and Bennett (assuming the deal happens), and even LaVine if he shows he can play like he did in SL. It will likely be an inconsistent year, but a lot of fun.

Edit: Actually this might be a good poll topic.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Bennett may resemble Derrick but that doesn't mean he will be him. That's foolish. Since he isn't the prize of the deal, I have no problem taking the chance on him.

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:Bennett may resemble Derrick but that doesn't mean he will be him. That's foolish. Since he isn't the prize of the deal, I have no problem taking the chance on him.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it ain't a damn mongoose. You'd be foolish to ignore the many similarities between the two players.

We have to take Bennett for salary purposes so it's not like he's a guy Flip is exactly pushing for either. I wonder how much of a problem you'll have with Bennett if the Wolves accept his option and he never improves significantly, but we'll be stuck with his $6M and $7M the two years after 2014. Then he goes from a wildcard with potential to a sizeable burden.

But hey, we like reunions around here. Bring back D-Will!
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

60WinTim wrote:
monsterpile wrote:I finally voted I went with Wiggins Bennet and other. I assume we are getting at least 1 pick but I have no idea which one.

After seeing the voting I am a little surprised that out of 28 people nobody voted for TT.

I don't know, I think it's even more surprising that two people think the Sixers would give up their next year's 1st rounder!

Okay, you two, fess up! Tell us what on earth you were smoking?!?

I'm thinking the 76ers may give up their first next year for two reasons:

1) That was Flip's requirement for moving Love. A top prospect AND a likely high lottery pick.

2) Philly fans are up in arms already about all the prospects they have to wait for. It is not a patient town as far a sports fans go. Management is under pressure to at least get the rebuilding process started. It's only been two years already that they haven't been trying. They have plenty of young prospects that will be coming into the fold over the next two years including Noel, Embiid, and the euro player they drafted who won't be over for at least two years. They really don't need another top 5 pick that they won't be able to pay once all these kids grow up.

That's why I think the pick might be in play. I would think we would have to send a future #1 back to them.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

All you have to do is watch them play to know Bennett is not D Will. Bennett actually looks like he knows how to play basketball. D Will looks lost all the time. Stats don't measure basketball IQ and Williams is one of the dumber players to play the game. Its getting tiresome having guys pigeonholed based on stats with no time to grow as a player. Bennett has less than 1 year in the league and yet he's already the next D Will even though he had no shot to play well last year given injuries, overall health and playing on a horribly coached team. Look how much work he put in during his first offseason. He lost weight, fixed his breathing issues and did a lot of things well in SL with the exception of his shooting and 1 on 1 defense. D Will never got better at anything. That has to be enough to warrant that Bennett isn't going to be another D Will in this league.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

The summer league analysts were almost to a man saying they expect much bigger things from Bennett this season.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Cam I don't think many if anyone is really that high on Bennett here. Its possible he never plays for the Wolves and ends up on another team. I was never sold on Williams and neither was Q (he was the one that showed me the way around drafttime) and I was looking at trading down. I think your position on Bennett is reasonable. One other thing I'll mention is different about Bennett is he actually has some semblance of a post game. Williams had very little. All he had was some face up game where he would wildly go at the rim or every once in a while spin around a guy. Bennett shows foorwork and backs his guy down and turns to get in position to score like a real big would. Its nice to see when Williams go to move in the post was that crappy fad away jumper that would often get blocked which was embarassing for a guy with his athletic ability.

I have no illusions of Bennett becoming amazing but I do think its too soon to just close the book on him as trash. I am not on board with him being the starting PF and I can bet Flip won't be doing that. He wants to win some games.

khans2k5 wrote: He lost weight, fixed his breathing issues and did a lot of things well in SL with the exception of his shooting and 1 on 1 defense. D Will never got better at anything. That has to be enough to warrant that Bennett isn't going to be another D Will in this league.

What did he do in SL that was proof of anything? He rebounded well, I'll give him that. Inefficient shooting and he got beat on defense way too often, especially for a second year player. Did he set good screens and run the floor hard? Are we giving him an 'atta boy' for that? I need to know these things he did well in SL that some of you are so high on.

What did D-Will do last off-season? Had his jaw surgery, got cut up and lost some of his bulk to give SF a real shot. He looked improved. He looked lean and in shape. If you're going to give Bennett credit for getting in shape, you have to give D-Will credit for doing the same.

Also, let's not act like Bennett is a high IQ basketball player, because he's not. He's a ball-stopper and his shot selection is less than desirable. Has no clue how to play help defense either.

But Williams isn't a good comparison for Bennett... Alrighty then.