KAT trade ideas

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: KAT trade ideas

Post by Monster »

A couple things:

While a I don’t completely disagree with the idea that the Knicks may have maxed out at this point the still have a number of young players that can improve and maybe they need that FA to add to their group to take another step. They were somewhat gifted Brunson choosing them but they should get some credit for the last couple years not doing dumb stuff and actually building like a regular team instead of going after every star. Some of that was stars weren’t picking them but still.

Fournier came out and basically said he was upset he didn’t play and wanted to go somewhere that he could play. He would be a guy I would buy low on and hope I got something out of him. Hat probably means signing him after a buyout. Maybe he is washed and sucks but I’d take a chance on him being a guy that could come in and get some buckets off the bench. They Knicks played a lot of their young guys instead. Props to them and even Thibs…unless Fournier sucks which is possible.

I’ll mention it here instead of the other thread. I know Towns is annoying and maybe isn’t a #1 guy or maybe even a #2 on a championship team but he is a good guy and I think tries to help his teammates and his team. He either tries too much or defers too much or tries to be too much of the guy to the media. Sure sometimes he could probably put even more effort on the floor but he isn’t some energy role player and he is now an injury risk so there are times I’d probably be cool with him picking his spots. There are other guys that are annoying and honestly seem like jerks at times or with Ja simply an idiot. Towns acts like the victim too much at this point he has actually gone through and seen some shit including being a part of one of the worst sports franchises in the US and for some reason stayed loyal.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:41 pm
WildWolf2813 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:41 am
Q-is-here wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:09 am

Yeah, I agree that the bet you are making here is that Quickley develops into a legit, plus-level starting PG that can basically be a younger version of Mike Conley. And the second bet is that Connelly can hit pay dirt in the draft again. Randle and Barrett are more for matching salaries. Not sure I'd do this trade, but I get your logic.
Oh the Knicks wouldn't give you all three AND picks. Oh no. You'd get one of them along with Fournier, Toppin, Rose and other filler. They wouldn't treat Randle or Barrett as salary filler.
Yeah I am asking for 4 first round picks. Otherwise no I don't do it either. I don't don't view Randle and Barrett highly and neither do Knicks fans. You want KAT then we need 4 1st rounders and Quickley. That was the point of the trade I made up. I included Conley going and then Fournier coming back though too. That gives them a great backup still and then gives us our starting PG.

I'm not sure if the Knicks would do the trade either though. That would be a lot of action for KAT who hasn't exactly done much in the playoffs either. But a swap in scenery could be good for KAT possibly. So just maybe they consider it.
So the deal is KAT and Conley for Randle, Barrett, Fournier, Quickly and four future 1st round picks (3 unprotected and one top 5 protected)? If so, I’m pretty sure the Knicks would say yet. Randle reverted in the playoffs to the guy they wanted to run out of town this time last year. Fournier is a salary the Knicks would love to dump. Barrett has been an underachiever who doesn’t look like he’ll every develop a reliable three-point shot in a three-point shooting League. I like Quickly’s potential, but he’s still mainly potential. The Knicks have a surplus of 1st-round picks from other deals they’ve done. The Knicks would do the deal and they’d be the winner in that deal.

I’d propose a similar deal to the Knicks, but substitute Rudy for KAT and get back only one future 1st.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:02 pm

Oh the Knicks wouldn't give you all three AND picks. Oh no. You'd get one of them along with Fournier, Toppin, Rose and other filler. They wouldn't treat Randle or Barrett as salary filler.
Yeah I am asking for 4 first round picks. Otherwise no I don't do it either. I don't don't view Randle and Barrett highly and neither do Knicks fans. You want KAT then we need 4 1st rounders and Quickley. That was the point of the trade I made up. I included Conley going and then Fournier coming back though too. That gives them a great backup still and then gives us our starting PG.

I'm not sure if the Knicks would do the trade either though. That would be a lot of action for KAT who hasn't exactly done much in the playoffs either. But a swap in scenery could be good for KAT possibly. So just maybe they consider it.
So the deal is KAT and Conley for Randle, Barrett, Fournier, Quickly and four future 1st round picks (3 unprotected and one top 5 protected)? If so, I’m pretty sure the Knicks would say yet. Randle reverted in the playoffs to the guy they wanted to run out of town this time last year. Fournier is a salary the Knicks would love to dump. Barrett has been an underachiever who doesn’t look like he’ll every develop a reliable three-point shot in a three-point shooting League. I like Quickly’s potential, but he’s still mainly potential. The Knicks have a surplus of 1st-round picks from other deals they’ve done. The Knicks would do the deal and they’d be the winner in that deal.

I’d propose a similar deal to the Knicks, but substitute Rudy for KAT and get back only one future 1st.
I wad thinking no protection on the 4 firsts. I'm not saying I love the proposal either but I would do it. We could even add in whoever they draft this year too. Just like Utah did to us.

The Knicks wouldn't want Rudy for all those players I don't think. KAT and Conley are veterans and ready to win now. KAT's a "star" they can add to Brunson. I don't know what Rudy would do for them after giving up 3 players. They'd lose so much offense which is what they want.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

The Knicks would turn you down every which way (as would I). Knicks fans mostly see KAT as not being much better than Randle and with a super max to boot who would probably crumble under the pressure there. They wanna keep their ammo ready for a bigger name. I get that KAT is a fairly local kid, but we're not as hungry for the local guys unless they're from the city. KAT isn't exactly one of these players who was a high school hero or cut his teeth in the streetball leagues the way a Kyrie was. They'd rather hold onto the homegrown guys (though they love Villanova guys)

Everything you described about what the Knicks are giving up is exactly why the Wolves shouldn't do it. Quickley would have to be the best player in the trade to justify it. Otherwise you're acquiring different faces that don't solve your problems.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:38 pm

The Knicks would turn you down every which way (as would I). Knicks fans mostly see KAT as not being much better than Randle and with a super max to boot who would probably crumble under the pressure there. They wanna keep their ammo ready for a bigger name. I get that KAT is a fairly local kid, but we're not as hungry for the local guys unless they're from the city. KAT isn't exactly one of these players who was a high school hero or cut his teeth in the streetball leagues the way a Kyrie was. They'd rather hold onto the homegrown guys (though they love Villanova guys)

Everything you described about what the Knicks are giving up is exactly why the Wolves shouldn't do it. Quickley would have to be the best player in the trade to justify it. Otherwise you're acquiring different faces that don't solve your problems.
But is New York city still much of a basketball factory anymore??? Seems like it's been many years (decades?) since it churned out elite talent. And nowadays, basketball seems to be a sport where a lot of the best prospects and players come from some degree of privilege versus off the streets and playgrounds of New York City or any other large urban center. Seems like being a kid of a former NBA player is the best path these days!

And even the Knicks themselves aren't a destination franchise. The fact they had to hire Thibs and basically over-achieve their way in the playoffs indicates to me that they are by no means gifted elite free agent talent in a similar way to the L.A. teams.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:50 pm

But is New York city still much of a basketball factory anymore??? Seems like it's been many years (decades?) since it churned out elite talent. And nowadays, basketball seems to be a sport where a lot of the best prospects and players come from some degree of privilege versus off the streets and playgrounds of New York City or any other large urban center. Seems like being a kid of a former NBA player is the best path these days!

And even the Knicks themselves aren't a destination franchise. The fact they had to hire Thibs and basically over-achieve their way in the playoffs indicates to me that they are by no means gifted elite free agent talent in a similar way to the L.A. teams.
Honestly, it hasn't, and that comes from how the high school system here got destroyed (and we nudge any player worth a damn in the city to leave), but yeah not many come from the trenches anymore.

The Knicks fans are kinda scarred by the past with regards to cap space and draft picks. Now they hold onto those things for dear life unless they're getting a no doubt about it super star. Donovan Mitchell is a local guy (who wound up going to HS in Connecticut) who fans loved and woulda been cool with bringing over... at a fair price. If they could build it through just draft picks and shrewd signings they would. Now if Embiid was out there or Jokic, Giannis, Luka, they'll make an exception Even Mikal Bridges because as I said before, Knicks fans LOVE Big East guys, especially Villanova guys. But I don't think they give up all their assets for KAT.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Knicks fans see KAT as not being much better than Randle?? I’m not sure where you came up with that. If you’re right, then Knicks fans aren’t the basketball-savvy fans they’ve be reputed to be. But maybe the more important point is that it’s not the fans who make these deals; it’s the front office executives and Leon Rose knows that Randle doesn’t come close to matching KAT. There’s no doubt in my mind the Knicks front office would jump at the chance to get KAT in exchange for anyone on their roster except Brunson. Whether they’d give up four picks or two picks would depend on what players they’d be giving up in the deal. Randle was clearly dogging it during major stretches of the Miami series. That guy has real motivation/effort issues in addition to a low basketball IQ. Fournier is a guy they’d love to dump. Quickley is a guy they like, but he’s still mainly potential. KAT is an all-star with a unique skill set in the heart of his prime. The Knicks would love to pair him with Brunson.

Again, the only call I’d be making to the Leon Rose would be to ask him who/what he’d be willing to give up for Gobert.
Last edited by Lipoli390 on Tue May 16, 2023 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Stephen A Smith on ESPN brought up dumping Randle and Barrett for KAT or Lillard, He was saying they need to go, that's why I brought up this idea again. I would say Knicks fans in general are ready to dump both.They both underperformed in the playoffs.

I just expanded the trade because I need more youth and picks back for long term upside for when Ant is 26-30 (assuming he is here which is probable). I would think if the Knicks fall apart (which is a good percentage chance I think) some of those picks could be top 5/10. Which could be valuable.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:37 am Stephen A Smith on ESPN brought up dumping Randle and Barrett for KAT or Lillard, He was saying they need to go, that's why I brought up this idea again. I would say Knicks fans in general are ready to dump both.They both underperformed in the playoffs.

I just expanded the trade because I need more youth and picks back for long term upside for when Ant is 26-30 (assuming he is here which is probable). I would think if the Knicks fall apart (which is a good percentage chance I think) some of those picks could be top 5/10. Which could be valuable.
As we all know, Stephen A is a long-term, die-hard Knicks fan. His sentiments are a good reflection of Knick fan sentiments generally. So I’m not surprised by him wanting the Knicks to dump Randle. Now would be the time to dump Randle - selling high after his career season. His post-season play reminded us of what Randle really is and is likely to be going forward. Barrett has been a disappointment. He’s never developed a consistent perimeter shot and at this point in his career it’s unlikely he ever will. So of course the Knicks (and Knick fans) would LOVE to get KAT in exchange for those two. But I think they’d love it even more if they could keep Barrett and dump both Randle and Fournier.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:02 am
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:37 am Stephen A Smith on ESPN brought up dumping Randle and Barrett for KAT or Lillard, He was saying they need to go, that's why I brought up this idea again. I would say Knicks fans in general are ready to dump both.They both underperformed in the playoffs.

As we all know, Stephen A is a long-term, die-hard Knicks fan. His sentiments are a good reflection of Knick fan sentiments generally. So I’m not surprised by him wanting the Knicks to dump Randle. Now would be the time to dump Randle - selling high after his career season. His post-season play reminded us of what Randle really is and is likely to be going forward. Barrett has been a disappointment. He’s never developed a consistent perimeter shot and at this point in his career it’s unlikely he ever will. So of course the Knicks (and Knick fans) would LOVE to get KAT in exchange for those two. But I think they’d love it even more if they could keep Barrett and dump both Randle and Fournier.
Knicks fans think Stephen A. Smith is a blowhard who talks out of his ass a lot for attention. Immediately after the series loss he vented and demanded they get Dame Lillard even though Jalen Brunson is the most beloved player on the team. He's not a spokesperson for the team. Now look, Knicks fans don't love Randle. They just don't love KAT either and for everything you just said about their pieces, you should run from this trade too.

Lip, I live here. I have a good sense on how Knicks fans feel about their team. The whole debate since their season ended has been about how to upgrade from Randle, but without destroying any flexibility going forward (they've kinda softened a bit on moving Barrett). Long story short, they're waiting for better players who may not come, but that's their plan while they keep building their team.