Justin Jackson 10-Day

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Tactical unit

Justin Jackson 10-Day

Post by Tactical unit »

6'8" 220LBS 28 Years old - 1st round pick in 2017 (#15)

3PM 3PA 3PT%
3.2 7.8 41.2 (This year)
4.4 10.5 42.2 (Last year)

Jackson was highly regarded growing up, I think this is a great dart throw on a potential late bloomer. It's only a 10 day contract so not getting amped up over this guy. However this is the type of player you want to bring in the building and get eyes on to evaluate up close.
Monster

Re: Justin Jackson 10-Day

Post by Monster »

I liked Justin Jackson a lot coming out of college as a plug and play guy as a role player. His biggest value was his shooting and the question was which guy were you getting the Jr year version or the 2 previous years where he was bad. Well so far in the NBA he couldn’t make 3 point shots. If he has worked that out in the gleague he could be a solid player. You could say that about a bunch of guys though. He has some pretty good size 6’7” barefoot and a 6’11” wingspan. I doubt he will stick (turns 29 in a few weeks) but he is kinda interesting I guess. The wolves need shooting and another guy that’s a SF sized player. There has been some players that have bounced around and then sorta figured it out and became worthwhile players in their late 20’s. Not getting my hopes up though. Feels more meh than any kind of excitement. lol
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

He's like Jaylen Nowell - great G-League 3-point shooter, but then he struggles in the NBA to make shots. It's the exact same distance!
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

I'm fine with the pick up. But honestly, I don't see where/when he will actually play for us (barring injuries). He's certainly not going to take any current guys minutes. I think it's like another poster wrote in another thread...he's a place holder while we wait out the other Morris.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q-is-here wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:53 am He's like Jaylen Nowell - great G-League 3-point shooter, but then he struggles in the NBA to make shots. It's the exact same distance!
Not that it matters much but actually…Nowell missed all 16 of his 3 point shots in 3 showcase games this year so he is now shooting under 34% from 3 in the g-league this year.

To me they are pretty different players if nothing else because Jackson is a higher volume 3 point shooter and I think is a guy that’s much more of a movement guy and probably more of a catch and shoot guy. Catch and shooting is what Nowell struggled with much of his career if I remember correctly. Jackson actually has a floater game so I guess they both have some of that paint finishing going for them. lol
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Monster wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:48 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:53 am He's like Jaylen Nowell - great G-League 3-point shooter, but then he struggles in the NBA to make shots. It's the exact same distance!
Not that it matters much but actually…Nowell missed all 16 of his 3 point shots in 3 showcase games this year so he is now shooting under 34% from 3 in the g-league this year.

To me they are pretty different players if nothing else because Jackson is a higher volume 3 point shooter and I think is a guy that’s much more of a movement guy and probably more of a catch and shoot guy. Catch and shooting is what Nowell struggled with much of his career if I remember correctly. Jackson actually has a floater game so I guess they both have some of that paint finishing going for them. lol
Yeah, that was earlier in the season. Since then, he's gone on to make 38 of 97 in the regular G-League season, which is 39%. His one regular season with Iowa back in 2019-20 he made 43.6% of his 3's. He was also a deadeye college shooter. Yet he could never consistently make that shot in the NBA.

Fortunately for the Wolves, he was sort of on the tail end of the 3-point shooting curse this franchise had for so many years, where we could neither develop someone into becoming a solid 3-point shooter or previously good shooters lost their touch the second they wore a Wolves jersey.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:48 am I'm fine with the pick up. But honestly, I don't see where/when he will actually play for us (barring injuries). He's certainly not going to take any current guys minutes. I think it's like another poster wrote in another thread...he's a place holder while we wait out the other Morris.
I agree, Carlos. I see Justin as a placeholder for Morris.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:50 pm
Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:48 am I'm fine with the pick up. But honestly, I don't see where/when he will actually play for us (barring injuries). He's certainly not going to take any current guys minutes. I think it's like another poster wrote in another thread...he's a place holder while we wait out the other Morris.
I agree, Carlos. I see Justin as a placeholder for Morris.
Right, he's insurance in case someone gets hurt. With the trade of Brown Jr. and Milton, we actually aren't all that deep on the wings. If any two of Ant/Jaden/NAW get hurt at the same time, he may actually get some minutes, unless you think Moore Jr. is capable.

That (potential) problem doesn't go away by the way if we sign Morris, as he's almost exclusively a PF these days. Doesn't mean they couldn't play him on the wing I guess, but it wouldn't be ideal.