2024 Wolves Draft thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Carlos Danger

Re: 2024 Wolves Draft thread

Post by Carlos Danger »

Sundog wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:31 pm Another group the wolves are bringing in to evaluate:

Sy Chatman (Buffalo)
Enrique Freeman (Akron)
Pelle Larsson (Arizona)
KJ Simpson (Colorado)
Justin Webster (UNLV)
Moses Wood (Washington)
Sy Chatman (F) age (?). I can't find a good scouting report or details on him, but I assume he's older. MN boy.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... man-1.html

Enrique Freeman (F) age 23: https://www.nba.com/draft/2024/prospect ... ue-freeman

Pelle Larsson (G) age 23: https://www.nba.com/draft/2024/prospects/pelle-larsson
Q might like this guy. Looks interesting...

KJ Simpson (G) age 21: https://www.nba.com/draft/2024/prospects/kj-simpson

Justin Webster (G) age (?). I can't find much on this guy either, but looks like older prospect.
https://unlvrebels.com/sports/mens-bask ... ster/15787

Moses Wood (F) age (?). Same - not much on this guy.
https://unlvrebels.com/sports/mens-bask ... ster/15787

I think this list must be their day two pick considerations. None of them excite me much aside from Larsson might be an alternative to those who like Baylor Scheierman.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Carlos Danger wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:51 am
Q-is-here wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:10 am Yes, guys can improve their 3-point shot, but more often than not they don't, especially with our franchise. I won't go through the long, sad history of past draft picks that couldn't develop their shot with the Wolves.

As for high ceiling/high floor, I think it's a bit of a misnomer that older prospects have a lower ceiling just because of their age. Jalen Brunson is the most recent example (33rd overall pick). But there are plenty of others drafted in their early 20s that went on to keep improving and eventually become stars.
Just as you have been traumatized by the Wolves lack of developing a 3 point shooter, I will forever be traumatized by the Wolves making the "safe pick" of NBA ready, 23 year old Wesley Johnson. He was drafted for many of the same reasons people are advocating for Baylor Scheierman (older, NBA ready plug and play).

We've all been burned by this Franchise in our own ways. Really what we need is a thread devoted to therapy to get us past our biases and be open to look at things new again :lol:

Seriously, this thread is about different takes/views on these prospects. I respect your opinion. We will agree to disagree on Carrington as well as Scheierman and try to remember to dig this thread up in three years to see what happens. Both guys could be out of the league by then :lol: Like someone else posted...it is like throwing darts. But I still love the hope/dreams it brings of the Wolves finally hitting on the right guy! At least we are getting some clicks/action and generating discussion leading up to the big day.
Jaime Jaquez 23 years old and 4th in the rookie of the year balloting. I think we would all take him as an older draftee.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

I don't trust Connelly when it comes to being able to find gems in the draft or as UDFA's who can make meaningful contributions to this team.

I'm kinda warming up to Scheierman just to dare him to begin being awful at shooting. I also wouldn't mind a guard like Juan Nunez from Spain. 6'4'', decent shooter, has played in big games, very good passer. He could probably gain some good tutelage from Conley.

Ryan Dunn at 27 while he'd be a luxury, would be an awesome McDaniels backup and could allow the team to deal with McDaniels' foul issues when they arise.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:53 pm
Carlos Danger wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:51 am
Q-is-here wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:10 am Yes, guys can improve their 3-point shot, but more often than not they don't, especially with our franchise. I won't go through the long, sad history of past draft picks that couldn't develop their shot with the Wolves.

As for high ceiling/high floor, I think it's a bit of a misnomer that older prospects have a lower ceiling just because of their age. Jalen Brunson is the most recent example (33rd overall pick). But there are plenty of others drafted in their early 20s that went on to keep improving and eventually become stars.
Just as you have been traumatized by the Wolves lack of developing a 3 point shooter, I will forever be traumatized by the Wolves making the "safe pick" of NBA ready, 23 year old Wesley Johnson. He was drafted for many of the same reasons people are advocating for Baylor Scheierman (older, NBA ready plug and play).

We've all been burned by this Franchise in our own ways. Really what we need is a thread devoted to therapy to get us past our biases and be open to look at things new again :lol:

Seriously, this thread is about different takes/views on these prospects. I respect your opinion. We will agree to disagree on Carrington as well as Scheierman and try to remember to dig this thread up in three years to see what happens. Both guys could be out of the league by then :lol: Like someone else posted...it is like throwing darts. But I still love the hope/dreams it brings of the Wolves finally hitting on the right guy! At least we are getting some clicks/action and generating discussion leading up to the big day.
Jaime Jaquez 23 years old and 4th in the rookie of the year balloting. I think we would all take him as an older draftee.
I’ve never liked the idea of drafting based on age or “readiness” to contribute right away. The mistake on Wes Johnson wasn’t overvaluing his more advanced age or readiness. The mistake was failing to delve into his character and realize he wasn’t truly serious about basketball and lacked a strong competitive drive. Those are the things that matter regardless of a prospect’s age. The Wolves organization made the same mistake overlooking core character attributes when they drafted Darrick Williams. Our prior GMs or PBOs (before Rosas) had a tendency to overlook or not seriously scrutinize character. That’s how you end up drafting the likes of McCants, JR Rider, Wes Johnson and Darrick Williams or trading for the guys like Darko and Kandiman. In contrast, Brunson was a proven winner with a reputation for enormous competitive intensity coming out of college. His size and lack of athleticism pushed him down into the second round, but his stats, skills, strength and competitive character, not his age or “readiness,” were why it made sense to draft him. His stats, skills, strength and competitive character indicated that he’d be a really good NBA player at some point.

I think GMs and fans like us often get led astray by overemphasizing or getting caught up in one or two specific things. One of those things is age or readiness. Another thing, one of my bad tendencies, is getting too caught up in athleticism and (of course) overhead reach. I think athletics and length are both really important - far more important than age - but many of us give those factors far too much weight. As a result, we’d overlook draft prospects like Larry Bird, Dirk Nowitski and Jalen Brunson.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

One of the bigger questions not being asked is will Finch actually play young guys? Or were our young guys really just that bad (Minott, Miller, Moore Jr. etc.). How does a TJ Warren come in off the street and play more minutes than those guys? Ick.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:42 am One of the bigger questions not being asked is will Finch actually play young guys? Or were our young guys really just that bad (Minott, Miller, Moore Jr. etc.). How does a TJ Warren come in off the street and play more minutes than those guys? Ick.
That’s a great question, Carlos.

Wendell Moore: Finch has actually tried to give playing time to Moore, but Moore has been putrid every minute he’s been on the court. He’s a marginally talented player with a Wes Johnson/Derrick Williams attitude so there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s a bust and won’t be around much longer.

Leonard Miller: Given how terrible Miller was defensively in the G-League and how raw his skill set is, it made no sense to give him any minutes during a season in which we were competing for the top seed in the West. His shooting mechanics are still horrendous! None of this means Miller is a bust or will never find his way into the Wolves rotation or the rotation of anther team. But it’s important to keep in mind how young and inexperienced he is in comparison to Moore who came here with 3 years of college under his belt. I’ll admit that I have my doubts about Miller. The G-League footage I’ve seen of his compete disinterest in defense and his participation in Moore’s Wes Johnson antics on the bench give me profound doubts about his NBA future, but it’s too early to give up on him.

Josh Minott: He’s got some basic attributes - hustle, competitiveness, athleticism - that make him playable in the NBA (unlike Moore and Miller). He’s also shown some impressive ball-handling and passing abilities. But he hasn’t developed a reliable shot. I could see him getting minutes on another team, but offense was the one thing lacking on the Wolves bench this past season and that’s the one thing Josh doesn’t bring - hence favoring TJ Warren over him.

In sum, I think Moore will be gone before next season. I also think the Wolves will see Minott and Miller as potential pieces on a younger, re-tooled team around Ant, Jaden and NAW after next season or as trade assets over the next year.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:42 am One of the bigger questions not being asked is will Finch actually play young guys? Or were our young guys really just that bad (Minott, Miller, Moore Jr. etc.). How does a TJ Warren come in off the street and play more minutes than those guys? Ick.
Carlos, you've seen these guys play. There might be some hope for Miller but none of them are realistic rotational pieces on a championship level team. Maybe Miller gets there someday. Minott is a fringe NBA player and Moore less than that.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

I don't think there is anything there with Moore, he looked okay in a few games last season when he filled in and started a game or two. He's looked pretty bad every time I've seen him since. Maybe if Moore can find his 41% from 3 he shot his last season in college he may find a niche in the league. I thought Minott had potential coming into the league, again he's hasn't looked very good this season when he's played. I'm rooting for Minott, but I don't see it happening here for him. Miller needs a lot of work on defense, he should be working out with Rudy this Summer on his defensive game and Naz on his offensive game. I would keep Garza if he can be signed for the min. Nix is probably worth keeping as your 15th member on the bench just to hype the team up after a dunk or big play.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:23 am
Carlos, you've seen these guys play. There might be some hope for Miller but none of them are realistic rotational pieces on a championship level team. Maybe Miller gets there someday. Minott is a fringe NBA player and Moore less than that.
Admittedly, I didn't actually watch a lot of games this past season. But I have seen Minott play prior and I certainly thought he would have been able to give us what TJ Warren did.

I agree with your take on Miller. That's a lotto ticket and we need to give it at least another year. I am certainly onboard with making guys earn their playing time and he hasn't yet. But that brings me to my last point....

But what about Garza? He dominated the G. He has put up decent numbers in the NBA (albeit garbage time). What else can he do to earn minutes? I didn't understand why he wouldn't get more of an opportunity. I know people will say "where would he play with KAT/Naz/Rudy already in the mix?" But remember KAT was out for a big chunk of the season. Garza didn't get any extra minutes when he was out. I'm not saying Finch did anything wrong (can't argue with the results he got from this year). But I'm just wondering if he fundamentally is always going to go with guys like TJ Warren and Justin Jackson over his young/unproven guys. And the I raise that question because it relates to our upcoming draft. If he's not going to play these guys anyway - then we might as well trade out.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

I think Moore is garbage. I hope they move on from him. Miller you can give some time to develop but I dont like what I have seen with his disinterest in playing any defense.. I love Garza and think it's absurd he didn't get any playing time. Guy can just ball.

I really want to see is target hyper competetive players. Not only does is it helpful in games but it usually tells you about their dedication and how hard they will work to improve. This ain't the California penal league.