Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Very rare for the Twins to have a dominant #1 pitcher like this. What a start for Santana.

And how about Sano, who is dabbling in Triple Crown territory? When was the last time we had a true clean-up guy AND a dominant starting pitcher?
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:Very rare for the Twins to have a dominant #1 pitcher like this. What a start for Santana.

And how about Sano, who is dabbling in Triple Crown territory? When was the last time we had a true clean-up guy AND a dominant starting pitcher?

I'd guess probably Johan and Mouneau?
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

monsterpile wrote:
Q12543 wrote:Very rare for the Twins to have a dominant #1 pitcher like this. What a start for Santana.

I'd guess probably Johan and Mouneau?

Sounds about right. Sano is still so young too.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Good call by monster on Morneau and Johan. Man, it's fun watching these guys this year. Sano is hitting like the prospect everyone thought he would be, and as a bonus, is playing a solid third base too. His eye at the plate is extraordinary for such a young player, and is power is prodigious. Santana is a guy who I always thought would be a great pitcher when he got older and smarter. He's never been overpowering, but he has always had a slider that is difficult to detect (hitters have always said "his slider is white"...can't pick up the spin). But he never located it well. Now he is, and he is practically unhittable.

But what the heck is up with Molitor's lineup...Mauer batting 4th? Come on, the guy is only slugging .310, and is clearly washed up. Bat him 8th if they really think he needs to be in the lineup. And why does Mollie continue to think our second best power hitter (Dozier) should be leading off? Put him in the middle of the lineup where he won't hit so many solo homers (2 more last night). Here is the lineup I would use with the current roster (note: I'm still a fan of bringing Park up once he is healthy).

Kepler
Grossman
Sano
Dozier
Rosario
Polanco
Castro
Mauer
Buxton
Monster

Post by Monster »

Hey about Santana and Sano...another terrific game for both of them. Mauer and Buxton with their first HRs. Duffy has looked lights out in the Pen. This team has mostly been fun to watch this year. It could get even better in a few days when Adrianza comes off the DL and becomes an upgrade over Danny Santana in just about every way.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Twins back in first place in the division just as everyone predicted. :)

monsterpile wrote:Twins back in first place in the division just as everyone predicted. :)

I have a call into JD Vikes (who founded this board) asking why my post predicting World Series for the Twins was deleted...it's an outrage!
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

longstrangetrip wrote:
But what the heck is up with Molitor's lineup...Mauer batting 4th? Come on, the guy is only slugging .310, and is clearly washed up. Bat him 8th if they really think he needs to be in the lineup. And why does Mollie continue to think our second best power hitter (Dozier) should be leading off? Put him in the middle of the lineup where he won't hit so many solo homers (2 more last night). Here is the lineup I would use with the current roster (note: I'm still a fan of bringing Park up once he is healthy).

Kepler
Grossman
Sano
Dozier
Rosario
Polanco
Castro
Mauer
Buxton

Good points. Will we ever just sit Mauer? If someone comes in and kits like Vargis would just leave him on the bench?

bleedspeed177 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

Kepler
Grossman
Sano
Dozier
Rosario
Polanco
Castro
Mauer
Buxton

Good points. Will we ever just sit Mauer? If someone comes in and kits like Vargis would just leave him on the bench?

I think Mollie is far from making that decision. The fact that he continues to bat him 4th shows how delusional he is about where joe is right now. I'm particularly unhappy that our new young brain trust seems to also treat Joe as a sacred cow, and doesn't convince Mollie to move him out of such a significant part of the lineup. My God, I would guess his OPS is at least 200 points lower than any other cleanup hitter in the league...maybe even more. That is not a prescription for offensive success.

Aaron Gleeman knows as much about the Twins as anyone, and he continues to be astounded by the blinders the Twins have on with respect to Joe. Aaron goes so far as to suggest that no team will want Joe on their roster after his contract runs out...Power hitting first basemen are a dime a dozen, and there just isn't room on a roster for a guy that can only DH or play IB with an OPS under .600!
Monster

Post by Monster »

I have faith Mauer will end up being a solid hitter this year. They are already sitting him against lefties when they have other options and if Vargas or Park are around that will happen even more. Monitor has played everyone including Danny who is nearly worthless so if a player plays well I would not be surprised to see Mauer getting fewer ABs. He would be a nice pinch hitter off the bench and would play late as a defensive replacement at 1b. They aren't and can't really just cut the guy and it sucks he kinda takes up a spot to some extent but I think he can still be a worthwhile player for this team.

As for leadoff...um Grossman is probably the closest to a leadoff hitter on the roster and LST doesn't even want him to play. Dozier as TE leadoff guy is far from ideal but I get the sense they don't really feel like anyone else is really up to that role either. I sorta get the angst about the lineup but there isn't much proven sure things although if Sano keeps doing his thing it's going to help work some things out. Dozier has also been looking to steal bases which is an interesting development. It SEEMS like that's something they are looking to do more overall.