Week 11: Bronco's

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
TAFKASP

Re: Week 11: Bronco's

Post by TAFKASP »

bleedspeed177 wrote:We spotted them 20 and won yet nobody commented. What is wrong with you people?

Hard to get excited about another 1st or 2nd round playoff exit.

The defense isn't championshp quality, and the offense, while good, isn't likely to carry them to the four road playoff wins they'll likely need.

Oh, and can we just cut Rhodes now, dude can't play anymore.
Monster

Post by Monster »

TheSP wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:We spotted them 20 and won yet nobody commented. What is wrong with you people?

Hard to get excited about another 1st or 2nd round playoff exit.

The defense isn't championshp quality, and the offense, while good, isn't likely to carry them to the four road playoff wins they'll likely need.

Oh, and can we just cut Rhodes now, dude can't play anymore.

I tried watching this one live but reception cut out.

I think the Bronco's D is legit and their current QB isn't likely the answer but he doesn't suck...like it sounded like Flacco did. Also credit to those Bronco's WR for a couple really good catches. I guess we really missed Harris today although at least Sendejo had a pick and no penalties. lol

Anyway not good we got into that hole but sort of a good sign they actually made a comeback and at times made it look easy on offense...well through the air anyways. There was a couple tiles Cousins didn't even have a chance that first half. That sack he fumbled on he had no chance. I'm not even mad he fumbled on that one.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

I was throwing up after the first half, then was half heartedly semi excited but couldn't finish a post. SP is right about the defense. Rhodes has been getting torched. I wonder if we could try Hughes and Waynes instead. Coming into the game they were ranked 9th in PPD. Not terrible but not SB great to help the too often sputtering offense. I was thinking during the game how many high draft picks and contracts we have on defense, yet they play like that in the first half. I guess a win is a win, they got semi lucky pulling it out.
Monster

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:

I was throwing up after the first half, then was half heartedly semi excited but couldn't finish a post. SP is right about the defense. Rhodes has been getting torched. I wonder if we could try Hughes and Waynes instead. Coming into the game they were ranked 9th in PPD. Not terrible but not SB great to help the too often sputtering offense. I was thinking during the game how many high draft picks and contracts we have on defense, yet they play like that in the first half. I guess a win is a win, they got semi lucky pulling it out.

Hughes has had some moments where he has gotten beat also. Rhodes isn't a really good player Anymore but I still think he is a starting level CB and he is still a guy that helps against the run game. It feels like Waynes is playing more like Rhodes used to play (being able to play physical) although likely not as good. What kind of money would you be willing to pay Waynes next year (or what do you think he is worth)?
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

monsterpile wrote:Hughes has had some moments where he has gotten beat also. Rhodes isn't a really good player Anymore but I still think he is a starting level CB and he is still a guy that helps against the run game. It feels like Waynes is playing more like Rhodes used to play (being able to play physical) although likely not as good. What kind of money would you be willing to pay Waynes next year (or what do you think he is worth)?

So far this season Waynes, Rhodes, and Hughes have all been pretty bad. At least Hughes has the excuse of coming back off an injury. Given their cap situation I'd be saying goodbye to both Rhodes and Waynes and looking for the young guys to step up.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

Hughes has had some moments where he has gotten beat also. Rhodes isn't a really good player Anymore but I still think he is a starting level CB and he is still a guy that helps against the run game. It feels like Waynes is playing more like Rhodes used to play (being able to play physical) although likely not as good. What kind of money would you be willing to pay Waynes next year (or what do you think he is worth)?

I'm keeping Waynes, above avg CB money, whatever that is.
Monster

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

Right now at 9 million it looks like he is 21st This season in terms of salary for CBs. I'm guessing he will get somewhere between 7-10 million a year. I was just curious what people thought his value was but also something to consider is that if he moves on its possible we get a solid Comp pick for him. The Vikings have some tough decisions To make when the season ends.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

monsterpile wrote:
Right now at 9 million it looks like he is 21st This season in terms of salary for CBs. I'm guessing he will get somewhere between 7-10 million a year. I was just curious what people thought his value was but also something to consider is that if he moves on its possible we get a solid Comp pick for him. The Vikings have some tough decisions To make when the season ends.

I believe the Vikings are already over the cap for next season so they're going to have to work some magic just to maintain status quo. My expectations are they're planning on turning over the starting outside CB jobs to Hughes and Hill and trying to resign Alexander as the nickel with the hope they can squeeze enough blood from a stone to keep Harris at safety.

Given teh cap situation I doubt they can keep more than two of Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, and Harris and so far this season and most of last season Alexander and Harris have been the better players. They still need cap space to sign their draft picks and I'm sure Cook is going to expect to get paid. The scary part is that situation may cause them to extend Cousins to reduce his cap hit next season and buy them time between then and the next NFL/Union contract which is expected to jump significantly and maybe begin with a non-cap year.
Monster

Post by Monster »

TheSP wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

I believe the Vikings are already over the cap for next season so they're going to have to work some magic just to maintain status quo. My expectations are they're planning on turning over the starting outside CB jobs to Hughes and Hill and trying to resign Alexander as the nickel with the hope they can squeeze enough blood from a stone to keep Harris at safety.

Given teh cap situation I doubt they can keep more than two of Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, and Harris and so far this season and most of last season Alexander and Harris have been the better players. They still need cap space to sign their draft picks and I'm sure Cook is going to expect to get paid. The scary part is that situation may cause them to extend Cousins to reduce his cap hit next season and buy them time between then and the next NFL/Union contract which is expected to jump significantly and maybe begin with a non-cap year.

Yep I agree are in a tricky situation with their DBs. the good news is they do have some depth their like you suggested and if Alexander and/or Waynes or Harris leave they would at least likely Have the opportunity to have comp picks. That doesn't help next season though.

Dalvin's money even if they give him and extension doesn't have to impact (and likely won't) next year's cap. He is still signed for 2020 on the last year of a 4 year deal.

Meanwhile Griffin now has 7 sacks so he can pick FA if he wants to and his cap number on a club option is nearly 14 million for 2020 if they let him got it was be over 13 million in savings. Reiff is another possibility of being cut. Linval cut or maybe a restructure to save money? If they moved on from all of: Reiff, Griffin Rhodes and Linval. That's over 40 million in cap savings. They do have some options.

I agree with the idea they could sign Cousins to an extension to get some room as well. Unless the number is really high/long/super guaranteed that may not be all that scary. It's possible Cousins gives up trying to get a big deal and takes a nice one instead if he thinks it means a better team around him. We will see.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

I see no Rhodes next year but I see Waynes coming back. If you lose both you'd be really thin and need to sign at least 1 other FA and draft another higher for depth.