Welcome Coach Jim Harbaugh

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
Monster

Re: Welcome Coach Jim Harbaugh

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:Yeah, it's difficult to tell if this is a good hire or not...time will tell.

He was Chase Budinger's high school basketball teammate for two years, so there's that.

That's a fun fact. Did he play volleyball with Chase too? :)

I kinda like that he has worked with Cousins for a year in the past. Maybe they decide to move on from Cousins this offseason but I don't get that sense at the moment. Anyway they have someone that does know Cousins and while maybe have a totally fresh set of eyes in terms of Cousins I think someone who knows Cousins has a bit of value. It might also mean he says..."yeah I know Kirk good guy, good QB but he ain't the guy."

All this said...we are assuming he gets the job. Lol

If he is hired as currently expected I'll be interested in seeing who he gets for assistants and coordinators. Will anyone like an Andre Patterson stick around as a D-line coach? Will they attract a really good DC? Will they run significantly different schemes on either side of the ball? Will they run a blocking scheme that will require a different type of lineman as some positions? What about defensive scheme? Will the new DC want 2 run stuffing DT in Pierce and Tomlinson etc? Who will be some cap casualties?
FNG

Post by FNG »

Ha, no volleyball that I know of, monster...just basketball. But at 6-7 and athletic, he would have been a nice target for QB O'Connell if he had played football.
FNG

Post by FNG »

The Vikings interviewed Raheem Morris and DeMeco Ryans to be in compliance with the "Rooney Rule". But if they had read the fine print in the ruling, they would have known that that was unnecessary...talking with an Irishman like O'Connell satisfied a little-known clause in the Rooney Rule known as the Mel Brooks Exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD0BcQTIr4c
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:The Vikings interviewed Raheem Morris and DeMeco Ryans to be in compliance with the "Rooney Rule". But if they had read the fine print in the ruling, they would have known that that was unnecessary...talking with an Irishman like O'Connell satisfied a little-known clause in the Rooney Rule known as the Mel Brooks Exception.

I almost posted a GIF of Blazing Saddles at work yesterday.
FNG

Post by FNG »

monsterpile wrote:
FNG wrote:The Vikings interviewed Raheem Morris and DeMeco Ryans to be in compliance with the "Rooney Rule". But if they had read the fine print in the ruling, they would have known that that was unnecessary...talking with an Irishman like O'Connell satisfied a little-known clause in the Rooney Rule known as the Mel Brooks Exception.

I almost posted a GIF of Blazing Saddles at work yesterday.

It's a classic, monster...so inappropriate but so funny. We always have a family movie marathon on New Year's Eve, and somehow Blazing Saddles ended up as the midnight choice. Let's just say the boys were happy...the girls, not so much.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Interesting enough O'Connell married a volleyball player. My daughter, the basketball player, was at San Diego State at the same time as Kevin. She got to know him and his wife during that time, and they still keep up on social media. She describes him as well liked and a good leader. The McVay tree has been a good one, let's hope it continues. I think we dodged a bullet with Harbaugh. The guy has won every place he's been, but he is just a weird dude. A weirdness that wears people out. So Jim can go back to camping outside recruits homes, and the Vikings move on with a guy who at least sees what it's like to get to a super bowl. Something we haven't done in 45 years. We could have done worse.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

My feeling is that Jim was ready to win now. KAM and KOC are more likely going to blow it up and really winning is secondary to getting young and finding a superstar young QB in the next two drafts.

The Kirks, Barrs, Kendricks and so on, Harrison, are going to be traded or released.

I guess KOC's background as a former NFL QB and QB coach is a plus though. If he can help evaluate and develop a QB that is the priority. I think he was Kirks QB coach with the Commies. He hopefully is well aware that Kirk is highly overpaid and if he stays this season, we are moving on next.

It'll be interesting who the OC is, does KOC take over that side of the ball and call plays too? So many unknowns at this point.

We had to move on though from Zim and Rick and soon Kirk. They simply were a subpar team and not getting any better.
Monster

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:My feeling is that Jim was ready to win now. KAM and KOC are more likely going to blow it up and really winning is secondary to getting young and finding a superstar young QB in the next two drafts.

The Kirks, Barrs, Kendricks and so on, Harrison, are going to be traded or released.

I guess KOC's background as a former NFL QB and QB coach is a plus though. If he can help evaluate and develop a QB that is the priority. I think he was Kirks QB coach with the Commies. He hopefully is well aware that Kirk is highly overpaid and if he stays this season, we are moving on next.

It'll be interesting who the OC is, does KOC take over that side of the ball and call plays too? So many unknowns at this point.

We had to move on though from Zim and Rick and soon Kirk. They simply were a subpar team and not getting any better.

Have you heard what the Wilfs have said? I don't think they are completely blowing this thing up. I'm not saying what they should or shouldn't do I just don't see them dumping everyone to rebuild based on what the Wilfs have said over and over again.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:My feeling is that Jim was ready to win now. KAM and KOC are more likely going to blow it up and really winning is secondary to getting young and finding a superstar young QB in the next two drafts.

Have you heard what the Wilfs have said? I don't think they are completely blowing this thing up. I'm not saying what they should or shouldn't do I just don't see them dumping everyone to rebuild based on what the Wilfs have said over and over again.

I wouldn't take what they say as fact though. They are trying to keep some hype going around the team, sell season tickets, etc...

You simply will never win a SB when Kirk is making what he is. Not to mention the defense sucked the last two season and the only "good" players are over 30. I just don't see why you smash your head against the wall to try and sneak out another 7-8 wins.

They are severely over the cap as well, so guys are either getting traded, cut or taking paycuts. Rick put all his eggs in competing the last few years and it didn't work. We have to pay the piper now and rebuild.

I'd say there is a decent chance no team wants Kirk with what he is/wants to get paid too. We're probably stuck with him. I would just trade him for anything at this point, if not cut him. Time to admit the old regime failed. Start over.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Was reported today that in the interviews with the Vikings KOC wants to keep Cousins as the QB and is really high on Cousins