Jerry Rice 2.0

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
Monster

Re: Jerry Rice 2.0

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Interesting thread and comp. I have one thing I can't help but bring up...

People think Thielen is just average athletically but it's honestly not true. He ran a sub 4.5 at his pro day and is 6'1". Notice the guy puts moves on people when he has the ball. This guy is actually athletic not just some super smart awesome route runner although he does that too. I don't think people give Diggs enough credit for his athleticism either. These guys don't rely on it but they have it. That's what makes these guys pretty damn good. Looking back you wonder why Thielen didn't get on the field more and maybe sooner. He made plays when given his chances years ago.

The point is he isn't Julio Jones, Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson.

Athletically he doesn't excel like other top end WR's have like those mentioned above Running 4.3's with a 48 inch vert and 6-3 - 6-5.

Same as Rice who was said to have run a slow 40 and went to a small school. Body wise, I think he is similar to Rice AND Similar playing style as well. Superb hands and route runner. He gets it done with skill. Not to say he is slow, just merely avg amongst NFL WR's (thats not a bad thing).

Rice may have had a little higher top end speed like the other poster mentioned. He didn't seem to be caught from behind much.

It's always fun to throw out Rice's 4.7 40 time. :) I don't think either Rice or Thielen are "average" athletes. Sure it's the skills and brains that make them great but you aren't great without that regardless of your physical gifts. I think calling both guys average athletes seems unfair. Sorry this has bugged me with Thielen for years. I'd like to see where Thielen has been run down where he wasn't slown down first having to make a catch etc.

Lol he was literally run down in the Redskins game. He caught one over the middle, got around the safety and then got caught from behind as he was slightly turning towards the middle of the field away from the other corner and safety who were also going to catch him. He's a great athlete. He's just not that fast. All the fast WR's in the league would have taken that one to the house. I'd rather have Thielen than most of them still.

He still was not running in a straight line. Like you said their were other guys that would have caught him anyway. That's not meeting the complex criteria I put forth. :) Regardless after thisbback and forth I think we all ultimately agree on Thielen's athletic ability in this thread.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

May be this isn't as far-fetched as we thought. Another great game by Thielen. He is among the league leaders in receiving yards and receptions. Now he's starting to get TDs too!
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:May be this isn't as far-fetched as we thought. Another great game by Thielen. He is among the league leaders in receiving yards and receptions. Now he's starting to get TDs too!

Imagine if he had hauled in that pass in the end zone.

One thing that always throws me off is Adam's yellow gloves make me thing there is a penalty flag flying when he is in the area. One of my friends wants to get his kids Thielen jerseys and I told him he had to get them some yellow gloves to match!
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I didn't want to start another thread, but having Thielen and Diggs on the team is helping the other WRs and TEs. I have always been a fan of using TEs because if used right they can create mismatches. There is some good details on Morgan at the end of the article.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/11/will-michael-floyd-play-role-vikings-stretch/
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I didn't want to start another thread, but having Thielen and Diggs on the team is helping the other WRs and TEs. I have always been a fan of using TEs because if used right they can create mismatches. There is some good details on Morgan at the end of the article.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/11/will-michael-floyd-play-role-vikings-stretch/

I looked earlier this week and I was surprised to see Treadwell has been getting a lot of snaps the last few weeks. Last week was pretty much an even split between him floyd and wright and was a departure from where he had pretty much the clear cut 3rd WR in terms of snaps. This WR group is actually pretty deep. They must like something that Treadwell is doing.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Treadwell was supposed to excel at blocking and catching in traffic. He definitely seems to be a physical WR.