KAT at the 4

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q-is-here

Re: KAT at the 4

Post by Q-is-here »

Here is some player pair ratings from over the years with both fellow bigs and what we'd consider bigger wings or more face-up PFs.

'21-22
KAT/Vanderbilt = +6.9
KAT/McDaniels = +3.6
KAT/Prince = -.8

'20-21
KAT/Vanderbilt = +4.0
KAT/Hernangomez = +5.9

'19-20
KAT/Covington = -4.9

'18-19
KAT/Gibson = +.5
KAT/Saric = +.8
KAT/Tolliver = -2.3

'17-18
KAT/Gibson = +7.9
KAT/Bjelica = +3
KAT/Dieng = +1.8

'16-17
KAT/Dieng = +1.7
KAT/Bjelica = -.4

'15-16
KAT/Dieng - +2.9
KAT/Bjelica = -5.2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the encouraging sign here is that he was always a net positive when playing with Dieng - and that was on some pretty bad teams too! So for those two to always be positive together tells you something.

He was also always positive when playing with Gibson, who functionally played more like a Center when paired with KAT.

And finally the results with Vando, who again functionally played the Center (at least on offense) are very good too.

The most obvious example of where he struggled was when paired with Covington, a small ball 4. He also didn't do so well with Bjelica, who wasn't exactly a small player but KAT was clearly still the Center in those lineups.

Bottom line - There is zero reason to think that somehow Gobert and KAT can't co-exist on the floor together for extended periods time.
Monster

Post by Monster »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:I've always looked at KAT as more "4" than "5". I think he will flourish in that role. He won't be great defensively on the perimeter, but he can hold his own with his length. It's not easy to shoot over him as his length is flying at you. On offense he's going to be even better. You will probably see his passing skills more on display, and I would think he will team up with Rudy on a lot of draw and feeds. KAT benefits quite a bit from this deal.

I agree. I want to see Towns used more like a SG. Base his offensive usage around his ability to shoot. Idk if that helps his passing or not he is a good passer for his size but it's not a particularly special skill right now and he does some stupid things out there at times. If he can improve that part of his game (If Finch can bring this aspect out of his game) that's a way he can become an even better player.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

KAT is still going to play 15-20 MPG at Center in my opinion.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

Look back at the Memphis playoff series. KAT was on the perimeter a lot guarding quicker guys. Often the trouble was that if he got beat there was nobody to defend without fouling (though they did a great job on Ja overall). I actually love how we match up with a team like Memphis more now. As far as Towns defending faster 4's, I wouldn't be worried about dribble penetration when you have an eraser under the netting. The bigger question to me defensively is if KAT can handle the defensive close outs effectively with the faster players. Either way, huge net positive.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Offensively we are really only replacing Vanderbilt with Gobert in sets. That in itself is a massive upgrade. KAT generally played more the 4 and was guard by smaller opposition 4s. KATs game will go to the next level. Opposition front courts wont be able to constantly double team and bully KAT with another 7 footer playing next to him and Gobert's insanely efficient above the rim game. Add to that the pick and roll/pop ability of the likes of DLO, Ants and Nowell playing with KAT / Gobert. We are going to be a fun team to watch.

Defensively it gets interesting, but not necessarily in a bad way. I see a lot 3 - 2 zone being played. Thankfully we have legit length and lateral movement in McDaniels, Prince, Anderson and Edwards on the perimeter and if they are beaten it doesn't matter with two 7 footers guarding the key. One of them being the best shot blocker and rebounder in the world.

Plus as Q mentioned they will probably only play half a game of both of them on the court together.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:I've always looked at KAT as more "4" than "5". I think he will flourish in that role. He won't be great defensively on the perimeter, but he can hold his own with his length. It's not easy to shoot over him as his length is flying at you. On offense he's going to be even better. You will probably see his passing skills more on display, and I would think he will team up with Rudy on a lot of draw and feeds. KAT benefits quite a bit from this deal.

I agree with Cool on this. I'm another who has always seen KAT as more of a 4 than a 5. I think his perimeter defensive is underrated by most. I still remember when Sam Mitchell put KAT on Curry almost the entire game and it stifled him. The Wolves won that game and Sam's coaching maneuver was key. And that was Curry when still in his prime - maybe a half step quicker than he is now. So I'm not concerned about KAT at the 4. He'll be challenged by some matchups, but he'll hold his own.

Our starting five will collectively be the longest in the NBA as measured by wingspan or standing reach. Edwards and McDaniels are high-level athletes. KAT is much better athlete, quicker and more fluid that he looks at first glance. And KAT will have Gobert backing him up. I think we'll be fine.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

mrhockey89 wrote:Look back at the Memphis playoff series. KAT was on the perimeter a lot guarding quicker guys. Often the trouble was that if he got beat there was nobody to defend without fouling (though they did a great job on Ja overall). I actually love how we match up with a team like Memphis more now. As far as Towns defending faster 4's, I wouldn't be worried about dribble penetration when you have an eraser under the netting. The bigger question to me defensively is if KAT can handle the defensive close outs effectively with the faster players.. Either way, huge net positive.

That's exactly right Hockey. I too am not as concerned about him guarding a wing or guard in isolation. It's the ball rotation and reacting quick enough to close on a guy that is of bigger concern. Vando was really good in scrambling and contesting shots. KAT isn't slow, but he certainly doesn't have Vando's closing speed.

Defensively I think we can be elite at the rim, elite at defensive rebounding, and hopefully much better at defending without fouling. Where we may struggle is defending the 3.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q-was-here wrote:
mrhockey89 wrote:Look back at the Memphis playoff series. KAT was on the perimeter a lot guarding quicker guys. Often the trouble was that if he got beat there was nobody to defend without fouling (though they did a great job on Ja overall). I actually love how we match up with a team like Memphis more now. As far as Towns defending faster 4's, I wouldn't be worried about dribble penetration when you have an eraser under the netting. The bigger question to me defensively is if KAT can handle the defensive close outs effectively with the faster players.. Either way, huge net positive.

That's exactly right Hockey. I too am not as concerned about him guarding a wing or guard in isolation. It's the ball rotation and reacting quick enough to close on a guy that is of bigger concern. Vando was really good in scrambling and contesting shots. KAT isn't slow, but he certainly doesn't have Vando's closing speed.

Defensively I think we can be elite at the rim, elite at defensive rebounding, and hopefully much better at defending without fouling. Where we may struggle is defending the 3.

IMO Towns is a better off ball shot blocker than protecting the paint.