Dave Benz fired

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
kekgeek

Re: Dave Benz fired

Post by kekgeek »

There is speculation that Marney Galner will be the new play by play person.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

kekgeek1 wrote:There is speculation that Marney Galner will be the new play by play person.

I like Marney, but I think she'd be a terrible play-by-play person.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

lipoli390 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:There is speculation that Marney Galner will be the new play by play person.

I like Marley, but I think she'd be a terrible play-by-play person.

Agreed
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

She would be better than Doris Burke, but I'd pass too.
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek1 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

I like Marley, but I think she'd be a terrible play-by-play person.

Agreed

I think she might actually be good at it (I agree it might not be good as well) but I think it would be weird for them to dump Benz to do that...but letting him go to begin with doesn't make much sense so...
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Maybe Harlan wants to come home for one last ride.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

I think Marney would be better as a second color commentator alongside JimPete. She's smart and funny and I think she could be really good with JimPete, but play-by-play is tough to learn and it might be better to get somebody with a long-ish history of doing that.

They need to find somebody like Eric Collins, a quick, energetic voice to embody and hyperbolize your immediate gut feelings as you watch. Could even come from outside basketball if they're good. Then you could have JimPete doing the thinking and Marney cracking jokes. You'd have the gut, the head, and the funny bone. I think that would be a good trio. Why didn't they try that when Benz was here? JimPete is a little too self-serious sometimes, and Benz was pretty good at keeping it light with him. A new partner might not have the pull with JimPete to keep him friendly in those tense moments. The last thing you want is tension in the broadcast.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

You guys know that she's done play by play for Wolves games before, right? She would occasionally sit in for Benzie to call a game or two. She actually comes across quite differently as a play by play person, meaning she adapts her style and cadence to the role.

I don't necessarily find her to be any better than Benz, but having heard her call a couple games, I thought she was quite competent at it.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:She would be better than Doris Burke, but I'd pass too.

Cool - I don't think you could have set the bar any lower! :)
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q-was-here wrote:You guys know that she's done play by play for Wolves games before, right? She would occasionally sit in for Benzie to call a game or two. She actually comes across quite differently as a play by play person, meaning she adapts her style and cadence to the role.

I don't necessarily find her to be any better than Benz, but having heard her call a couple games, I thought she was quite competent at it.

I've never seen her in that role and I have a hard time imagining it.