Timberwolves Roster

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Timberwolves Roster

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden0916 wrote:Juan Hernangomez will eat up a portion of that available money and a valuable roster spot. I'm almost certain that Gersson Rosas will make it a priority to bring him back because, well, he's the smartest guy in the room.

Minnesota will have to make a trade or two to balance out this roster. There's no way they go into the new season relying on in-house options in the front court. Even Rosas isn't that ignorant.

I forgot about H-Gomez. So we have 2 open roster spots and about $27.5 million to sign 4 players (MLE free agent, Beasley, JMac, and H-Gomez). Not sure how Rosas is going to get it done. He better not trade a future pick to off-load a current roster player,
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I don't see it happening, but the Jarrett Culver for DeAndre Hunter idea would make a lot of sense if both front offices were willing to give up on their young players early. As I scan around the league and browse team rosters I just don't see many quality and attainable forwards that fit this silly system Gersson Rosas wants to employ.

- Christian Wood and Jerami Grant would be good targets in free agency except both are slated to get significantly more than the MLE and likely remain with the teams they were on last year.

- Jae Crowder with the full MLE on a multi-year deal and guaranteed a starting spot would make sense, but all signs point to him returning to Miami or at least winding up on a contender.

- Aaron Gordon theoretically makes sense via trade, however, the Orlando Magic seem to have an unreasonable asking price for him from what I've seen reported.

- Otto Porter would be a sneaky good option, if healthy, but his $28-million player option makes matching contracts almost impossible.

Where is Rosas going to turn for a starting-level four? Or don't tell me... Juan Hernangomez is going to start 70 games for Minnesota next year.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
Volans19 wrote:I'm pretty sure Spellman and Evans will be gone by the time the season starts. How Rosas moves them is the question

Well, a trade is the only way to free up a roster spots held by a player under a guaranteed contracts and also get his salary off the books. And there are only two trade options. One option is to trade him for a player under a non-guaranteed contract and release him. The other is to trade him with another player or players in a two for one three for one.

I got an easy way to clear up a roster spot. Cut Evans. He sucks. Why give up an asset (Even Spellman) to save 2 million in salary? It would have been nice to offload him but I'm not losing sleep about him. Unless he somehow I've the past however many months somehow actually developed into a worthwhile basketball player (Unlikely) he won't be on the roster I guarantee it. I'd cut him right now but he might still be needed for salary filler in some sort of deal. I don't figure him into anything in terms of this roster. IMO Jordan McLaughlin is more of a lock to be on this roster than him IMO mostly because he will be cheap to sign and a much better player.

I still say why dump Spellman? We don't have a PF. Spellman is a PF that can actually take and make 3's. He is probably a little underrated in terms of his athleticism. I'm guessing Vanderbilt and Juancho are ahead of him in the Wolves plans plus they drafted McDaniels but the wolves traded for Rubio it seems like they may want to like try and not suck. It doesn't seem like Spellman totally sucks. If the Wolves decided to waive him I bet some team would claim him and save them the roster spot and salary. There will be teams looking for smaller moves like these guys soon. A guy like Spellman that's young but been in the league a couple years may have a little more appeal this year since the season starts quicker. I'm also wondering if rosters will be expanded in some way too to allow for more options in case a few players are out due to Covid.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Q12543 wrote:I'm going to pick up on that Doogie chatter and say I would be all over some sort of trade for PJ Tucker to help balance our roster. He's getting up there in age, but he'd be almost an equivalent front-court counterpart to Rubio. He'd be a steadying vet presence that can defend, switch, get physical with some guys, and hopefully have some influence on KAT's overall disposition (which is still way too immature IMO).

PJ Tucker might have got away with his linebacker approach to defense in Houston. But as soon as he puts on that Wolves jumper he gets called for all the fouls he's always gotten away with lol.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

What about Belly? Another ex Wolf I wouldn't mind returning 'home'. 6 mil expiring. S&T involving Beasley maybe. Would certainly help stretch the floor.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Marcus Morris (sign and trade)
Aminu
Zach Collins

These are guys I would look at if we can get. Aminu could be had
for the cheapest. I would love it if we can sign and trade malik for morris. I like zach collins and think he can play 4 in this system.

Thad young is another guy that is a possibility.

KiwiMatt wrote:What about Belly? Another ex Wolf I wouldn't mind returning 'home'. 6 mil expiring. S&T involving Beasley maybe. Would certainly help stretch the floor.

I don't think he's athletic enough to fit this amazing system the Wolves are implementing. He's also somewhat redundant with Juan Hernangomez likely being re-signed. Also, we don't have the right contracts on the payroll to match salaries for him. I don't see Gersson Rosas even making that phone call.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

I'd prefer Belly than Juan to be honest.

KiwiMatt wrote:I'd prefer Belly than Juan to be honest.

You, me, and everyone else that thinks logically. I'm not sure Minnesota's president of basketball operations thinks that way, though. He's the smartest guy in the room.
Monster

Post by Monster »

We haven't seen the Rubio deal finished yet. Maybe we sent Jacob Evans to OKC. :)