Corey Brewer and the Corner Three Myth

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
observerII [enjin:6598557]

Re: Corey Brewer and the Corner Three Myth

Post by observerII [enjin:6598557] »

Oldie But A Goodie, Cool & Q:

Statistics: the only science that enables different experts using the same figures to draw different conclusions.
-- Evan Esar, prolific epigramologist
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

This is great information however I would hope no one would try to justify the signing by pointing to the corner 3. It drove me nuts how Wittman planted Corey in the corner all game long as it was such a waste of his energy. Corey is smart and can move well without the ball and that needs to be utilized by this squad which is highlighted by Ricky's court vision. Corey isn't going to hit 5 threes every game and shouldn't be asked to. But he has the ability to go off from time to time and that will be a nice bonus. He was brought in here to compliment Ricky with his constant movement and that is what I fully expect him to do.
observerII [enjin:6598557]

Post by observerII [enjin:6598557] »

At a $5M salary figure that shocked even himself, Corey better keep moving. As good ol' Satchel Paige once said, "Don't look back, they may be gaining on you."
Monster

Post by Monster »

I never bought into the corner 3 myth because I know that Brewer's shooting hasn't changed since he played here. IMO the difference in his shot is that he just lets it fly and if you are going to shot do it when people expect it not dink around maybe pass it to a guy thats covered etc (Wes Johnson or any number of wings including Brewer that have played here for the last how many years?). Chuck it up there and in this team's case let Pek and Love rebound it and get an easy basket. I think Brewer was starting on that path his last season here and its improved. He still sucks as putting the ball in the basket but he just plays the game and that allows him to be more effective as you know more what he is going to do and it doesn't effect his confidence of the rest of his game if he bricks a shot and he will brick shots be ready for that. Heck he is a bad FT shooter too which sucks since he gets there a decent amount becasue he attack the rim.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q's point is simple and spot on and he has used statistics exactly as they should be used. Q's point is that Flip has misrepresented or misused Corey's stats as part of his justification for signing Corey. Flip has attempted to justify the signing in part by saying he's a good three point shooter from the left corner. The facts show Corey is NOT a good three point from any corner. You might look to the shooting stats of a college player's last season in school as a sign of his potential. But that analysis doesn't work for a 28 year old 6 year veteran whose three point shooting has been poor over the course of his career and who has shown no clear upward trajectory.

I'm on board with the others in this thread who have said Corey's value is his defense, energy and ability to get out and score on the break. But Flip went beyond that and attempted to sell Corey as something more based on one unrepresentative stat from one season. I just hope Flip didn't use that stat to convince himself to sign Corey. It's one thing to oversell fans, which is just a little insulting but no big deal. It's another thing to delude yourself because that can lead to bad decisions. That's a big deal.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Brewers role on the team is to defend, run on the break for easy opportunities, make smart cuts, move the ball and provide spark,energy and hustle. He is not a 3 and d guy. He is a energy hustle guy.

He has games and stretches where he shot the lights out but his percentages always revert back to below average. Just let him stick to his role and he will be fine. 5 million a year is overpaying him but it is what it is. If he can stick to his role, he can contribute to the team.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

worldK wrote:Brewers role on the team is to defend, run on the break for easy opportunities, make smart cuts, move the ball and provide spark,energy and hustle. He is not a 3 and d guy. He is a energy hustle guy.

He has games and stretches where he shot the lights out but his percentages always revert back to below average. Just let him stick to his role and he will be fine. 5 million a year is overpaying him but it is what it is. If he can stick to his role, he can contribute to the team.

World -- You captured my thoughts perfectly.
markkbu [enjin:6588958]

Post by markkbu [enjin:6588958] »

worldK wrote:Brewers role on the team is to defend, run on the break for easy opportunities, make smart cuts, move the ball and provide spark,energy and hustle. He is not a 3 and d guy. He is a energy hustle guy.

Yep World, I don't think that anyone thinks that we picked up Brewer for his shooting.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Nice stuff q.

I didn't know the Wolves were trying to pull a fast one about Brewer. I hadn't heard that snippet about corner 3s. The guy is a poor 3 point shooter, statistical analysis for last season or his entire career clearly shows this. And I know we can point to that not being his role... but has anybody told Brewer that?

He shot a career high 5.5 attempts per 36 minutes last season. That was the 2nd highest total among regulars on the Nuggets (just a tick behind Galinari).
markkbu [enjin:6588958]

Post by markkbu [enjin:6588958] »

Brewer shot more corner threes than anyone in the NBA last year and hit them at a 36% rate. So with Brewer we have a guy that is a legit corner shooting threat. Corey shot 197 corner threes last year. AK shot 11.

Everyone knew that AK was not going to take that shot, which closes the D around our big men.

Now, with Brewer at the corner, he is potentially or 5th option on offense, and the opposing defense isn't going to want to leave him out at the corner and hit 3s at a 36% rate. That will assist at opening up the offense, and it'll give him great cutting opportunities.

I have a hard time figuring out why some people are having a hard time seeing this as a good thing.