West Team to Fear

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

Re: West Team to Fear

Post by FNG »

Good discussion here. Although things can obviously still change a lot with 30 games to play, two groups are emerging: the top four, and 5-11. One team will be left out of the play in, and my guess is it will be Utah.

So, how do I define the optimal scenario? First and foremost, we need to get the #1 seed. There are several teams I fear, but none that are unbeatable if we can get a game 5 and game 7 at home. I also think that OkC will be the number 4 seed, and I have no fear of them at all. They have proven that they can win games by large margins (that's why they have the best point differential in the West), but don't seem to have the maturity to win close games. And they are too small. So, I would love to face them in a conference semifinal.

But we have to get there first, and there are several teams that could end up 8th that could give us a tough first round matchup. I don't see the Warriors or Lakers advancing in the play in, and Sac-Town and Dallas are currently 7th and 8th and could end up there. Like others, I fear Dallas and have no fear of the Kings, so I would love a first round matchup with the Kings.

So in summary, I don't "fear" anyone if we have home court advantage. But I am quite wary of the Clippers, Denver, NO, Phoenix and Dallas.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

I fear the Pelicans if they are healthy, maybe as much as any team outside of Denver. I feel we have counter punches for the Clippers with our size and Towns if Leonard can lock down Ant. I am not sure we have any answer for Zion when healthy. I echo the sentiments about the Lakers too, a 1-8 matchup vs the Lakers seems like a surefire disappointment.
FNG

Post by FNG »

thedoper wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:29 am I fear the Pelicans if they are healthy, maybe as much as any team outside of Denver. I feel we have counter punches for the Clippers with our size and Towns if Leonard can lock down Ant. I am not sure we have any answer for Zion when healthy. I echo the sentiments about the Lakers too, a 1-8 matchup vs the Lakers seems like a surefire disappointment.
Doper and others, I think we would destroy the Lakers in a series, and I also don't think they have the horses to get there (KG agrees...listen to his always interesting discussion with Paul Pierce)...so I'm not even considering them. But I totally agree with your comment about New Orleans. It's another reason I am so focused on getting the #1 seed, because something like a 3-6 matchup with the Pels in the first round would be challenging. I still would pick us with home court advantage, but I would much prefer a 1-8 matchup with the Kings.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

FNG wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:54 am
thedoper wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:29 am I fear the Pelicans if they are healthy, maybe as much as any team outside of Denver. I feel we have counter punches for the Clippers with our size and Towns if Leonard can lock down Ant. I am not sure we have any answer for Zion when healthy. I echo the sentiments about the Lakers too, a 1-8 matchup vs the Lakers seems like a surefire disappointment.
Doper and others, I think we would destroy the Lakers in a series, and I also don't think they have the horses to get there (KG agrees...listen to his always interesting discussion with Paul Pierce)...so I'm not even considering them. But I totally agree with your comment about New Orleans. It's another reason I am so focused on getting the #1 seed, because something like a 3-6 matchup with the Pels in the first round would be challenging. I still would pick us with home court advantage, but I would much prefer a 1-8 matchup with the Kings.
Everyone buried the Lakers last year too, only for them to get all the way to the Western Conference Finals. As much as the guy annoys me, LeBron's production at his age is an incredible physical and athletic feat. He's obviously not the same force he was at his peak, but he is still a top 15 player. And AD has been way more durable this season than anytime in the past 5 years.

I absolutely do not want to play them in the 1st round. I just can't stand the chance they'd upset us (I agree we would be favored, but I think the Lakers would have a > 40% chance of winning a series against us). I'd rather be upset by New Orleans or Sacramento. At least those teams don't get the same national fawning as the Lakers.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

That Pelican starting lineup is scary, so given good health with Zion i could see them being very pesky. I don't know why there is so much fear surrounding Dallas, but I'd like to be convinced to alter my stance.

Of course we all want the #1 seed for obvious reasons, but even #2 would be huge. I do not agree with FNG about the Lakers not being a factor. They are playing much better and the league wants Lebron for at least 2 rounds. They are going to get a lot of help in getting there.
Shumway

Post by Shumway »

This thread shows just how deep the conference is and how much talent is across the league right now. We could be the first seed and face a 9 or 10 seed and still need to be worried.

BUT, I want to flip this thread to another perspective for a second and think about other contenders looking at their potential matchups. Is there another contender out there that isn't worried about the Wolves? Every team is imperfect and over such a long season will go through rough patches. But over the last two years, we've shown that we can compete with the best teams in the league. Last year we struggled against bad teams more than good teams.

We have the talent to compete with anyone. Furthermore, our roster and style of play is very unique. Other teams have been loading up on scoring and guards. We are big and defensively minded. I like to think that we can enter the playoffs approaching any opposition like the old Mike Tyson quote; "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

We may beat ourselves with immaturity or mental demons. We're Wolves fans - it may happen in the first round. But I believe we are in the group of teams who has put themselves in position to genuinely contend.
FNG

Post by FNG »

One team in the West is not only far and away the best defensive team in the league, but also has the best 3-point percentage. That's an unusual and lethal combination. I suspect that team is the one that the other contenders fear the most.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

FNG wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:38 pm One team in the West is not only far and away the best defensive team in the league, but also has the best 3-point percentage. That's an unusual and lethal combination. I suspect that team is the one that the other contenders fear the most.
I don't think anyone wants to draw us
FNG

Post by FNG »

This thread has demonstrated how deep the West is. I have also noted that Boston currently has the best record in the Association and has the best odds to win the NBA championship. It has to be noted though how much easier it is for Eastern Conference teams to win basketball games...the East is currently 40 games below .500! The Wolves have a great record at the break, but imagine how much better it would be with an East-heavy schedule.

Speaking of Vegas odds, the Wolves are getting no respect. They currently have the 7th best odds at +1800, despite having had the best record in the West most of the season. Our household will be laying down $100 at the nearest sports book today on the Wolves.