Kyle Anderson traded

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
kekgeek

Re: Kyle Anderson traded

Post by kekgeek »

FNG wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:50 pm I'm far behind you guys in terms of understanding how things work in the new NBA world, but why did Golden State have to give us the swap and cash, rather than just signing SloMo as a free agent? Does their salary cap situation prohibit them from signing a free agent, but allow them to trade cash and a swap for a player? It's very confusing.
Warriors were above the cap but not an apron team so they had their MLE what they used on Melton. They couldn’t sign Anderson for what he got paid without the wolves help.

Warriors not being an apron team can acquire players via a sign and trade (wolves can not) and can trade cash (wolves can not)

Hope that helps
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Well, with Morris and SloMo gone, that pretty much removes the safety net. We're going to need one or two guys from the youth movement to seize the moment. Obviously Dillingham has the clearest path to a role, but there are others that will need to fight it out to earn minutes. Let's just hope it's not the "least bad" option and someone actually rises to the occasion.
FNG

Post by FNG »

kekgeek wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:55 pm
FNG wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:50 pm I'm far behind you guys in terms of understanding how things work in the new NBA world, but why did Golden State have to give us the swap and cash, rather than just signing SloMo as a free agent? Does their salary cap situation prohibit them from signing a free agent, but allow them to trade cash and a swap for a player? It's very confusing.
Warriors were above the cap but not an apron team so they had their MLE what they used on Melton. They couldn’t sign Anderson for what he got paid without the wolves help.

Warriors not being an apron team can acquire players via a sign and trade (wolves can not) and can trade cash (wolves can not)

Hope that helps
Ah, I get it...thanks kek.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

Phenom wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:49 pm The bigger prize of this transaction might actually be a trade exception that can be used up to one year from the date it's executed. That leaves some good flexibility for the team.
Might be useful at the trade deadline if a need arises or as an injury replacement.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I think they are still over the cap but can use a trade exception to take Kyle in. The Wolves should be getting a trade exception in return unless that is a 2nd apron restriction that I didn't know about.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I had been wondering if a sign and trade was possible for Kyle Anderson. I guess I have my answer.

Cool I think I would be fine giving Anderson the money for this year and maybe even next year but maybe not in year 3. Of course 9 million for Kyle Anderson in year 3 could end up being a value deal. Idk With the Wolves financial situation it simply is tough to start giving out money to guys that long out. It can backfire and I love Kyle Anderson. He was a guy I had targeted that FA period when we initially signed him.

Edit: 3rd year is non-guaranteed...I knew this was coming but yeah it sucks they couldn't keep him for that type of deal.
Last edited by Monster on Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Phenom wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:56 pm
I think they are still over the cap but can use a trade exception to take Kyle in. The Wolves should be getting a trade exception in return unless that is a 2nd apron restriction that I didn't know about.
Yeah I didn't think they can use trade exceptions as a 2nd apron cap team but depending on when they officially consummate this trade the Wolves might be able to use it when they aren't in the 2nd apron.

Edit: if they can use trade exceptions then this is a pretty big win. They can basically add someone else a few hours from ow like GS losing Klay or wait till later when an opportunity presents itself and they know what they need/what younger player failed to step up.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

It's been real Kyle.

This is the year where Connelly gets to show whether he needs to be here after we've exhausted options with this current core.

It does make a pursuit of Joe Ingles that much more interesting.

If not Ingles, probably Prince or Osman or Bullock.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Phenom wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:46 pm
kekgeek wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:45 pm
Phenom wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:41 pm I hope the swap isn't for the 2025 draft. The Wolves own the Jazz 2nd next year, which could be a goodie.
Wolves have the right to swap. They are not required to swap
The problem is that the Jazz pick will be good so there won't be an incentive to swap so it is essentially nothing in return.
If I read it right Golden State doesn't have control of their 2nd rounders till 2029. The Wolves have their 2nd rounder that year also so that could be it. I suppose it could be later to like 2031 or whatever. Lol It's not a ton but the chance to upgrade your pick a few or maybe quite a few slots ain't a bad thing to have. You never know. Also CASH!!!! Lol
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

I think Kyle not being able to hit the 3 ended up being pretty devastating for us. Like his feel for the game but I dont think we lose a ton here.