The Young Core

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: The Young Core

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:Speaking of Garver I think he will be eventually added to this list in a year or two. Man I really like his swing, he barrels up a lot of balls and I also think he calls a very good game, I think next year he could really benefit learning from Castro.

As for Rosario to me he's the new Vlad Guerrero. He can hit any pitch out for a home run and has a cannon for an arm. The only difference is Eddie swing is less violent than Vlads but they both are just free swingers.

Kepler is the one guy we should be patient with, remember he has least experience against good pitching growing up in Germany. To me he's more athletic version of Jason Kubel and if he learns to hit leftys better there no reason why he can't be a .265-.275 hitter with 20 bombs a year.

As for pitching I believe the Calvary is coming. Romero, Gonsalves, Thorpe, Stewart and Jorge are a year or two off. They all don't need to hit but if two of them do then your looking at a really scary young team that will be good for years. Plus Birdi, Jay and May will all be back from TJ next year these are all guys that will really help our bullpen. I wish May was healthy idk he be a SP or not but I think he would be our closer right now.

One last thing is a Twins have a problem at shortstop but it's a good problem. We have 3 guys in our minor leagues that can all play. Gordon, Wander Javier, oh and there's that number 1 pick guy Royce Lewis. With polanco playing as well as he has I could see Gordon and Javier getting traded for a bonafide starter in the off season.

Remember back when The Twins were just trying to find a utility guy every season and ended up starting him much of the season in the middle infield? The transformation there is pretty amazing. Adrianza is the worst middle infielder on the ML roster. That's pretty good. They traded Nunez for Mejia last year and Mejia looks like he has the chance to be a part of the rotation going forward. It's good if the Twins finally have some nice assets to makes deals.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Things are certainly looking bright for the Twins. Will the new leadership add anything to this group?
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

Surprised nobody has mentioned the young bartolo colon. This kid is just starting to come jnto his prime....

Good read on the success of farm system.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-seven-minor-league-clubs-all-likely-playoff-bound-for-first-time/442557103/
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Good read on the success of farm system.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-seven-minor-league-clubs-all-likely-playoff-bound-for-first-time/442557103/

That's pretty impressive.

Update on Minors.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/09/mining-minors-twins-minor-leaguers-saw-stock-rise-2017/

They seem to be counting Daniel Palka out. Can Kepler or anyone move to 1B from the outfield when Mauers contract is up?

Also the log jam at SS is getting crazy, but it won't matter if we don't find a pair of solid starting picthers out of this group and a few good relievers.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Update on Minors.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/09/mining-minors-twins-minor-leaguers-saw-stock-rise-2017/

They seem to be counting Daniel Palka out. Can Kepler or anyone move to 1B from the outfield when Mauers contract is up?

Also the log jam at SS is getting crazy, but it won't matter if we don't find a pair of solid starting picthers out of this group and a few good relievers.

I'm not that worried about 1b. It seems an easy spot to fill in FA in a worst case scenario. We will see what happens when Mauer's contract ends. Is he still a pretty effective hitter that plays well at 1b? He might be worth being back for a couple more years. We will see.

Vargas isn't a perfect player but he has had a decent season going back and forth between AAA and the Twins. The power numbers are there and has driven in a healthy about of runs. Looking at his numbers in the minors compared to Palka he was better. What is somewhat encouraging about Palka was while he didn't have eye popping power numbers he had a better average and OBP.

monsterpile wrote:

I'm not that worried about 1b. It seems an easy spot to fill in FA in a worst case scenario. We will see what happens when Mauer's contract ends. Is he still a pretty effective hitter that plays well at 1b? He might be worth being back for a couple more years. We will see.

Vargas isn't a perfect player but he has had a decent season going back and forth between AAA and the Twins. The power numbers are there and has driven in a healthy about of runs. Looking at his numbers in the minors compared to Palka he was better. What is somewhat encouraging about Palka was while he didn't have eye popping power numbers he had a better average and OBP.

Vargas seems like an option and I think Kepler has played there in the past. I hope Palka improves again next year and we can't keep him off the Majors team.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well this clears up that SS logjam some.

https://twitter.com/mikeberardino/status/908407560704753664

Per source, #mntwins have lost slick-fielding SS Engelb Vielma on waivers to a National League club. Was designated for LHP Gabriel Moya.

That is interesting. I thought he had future as utility player in majors.