Twins trade for Jaime Garcia

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Re: Twins trade for Jaime Garcia

Post by Jester1534 »

longstrangetrip wrote:Looks like Garcia is starting tonight against the dodgers and the deal is on hold. Atlanta has apparently opened the trade up to all parties (why wouldn't they have done that from the start?), so the asking price should go up. I'm guessing this deal doesn't happen, despite my jump-the-gun thread title.

If he's not traded to us this is not a good sign because that means management is worried about 1-2 million dollars on a rental.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Jester1534 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:Looks like Garcia is starting tonight against the dodgers and the deal is on hold. Atlanta has apparently opened the trade up to all parties (why wouldn't they have done that from the start?), so the asking price should go up. I'm guessing this deal doesn't happen, despite my jump-the-gun thread title.

If he's not traded to us this is not a good sign because that means management is worried about 1-2 million dollars on a rental.

I dont know. jester...I think this has more to quality of prospects than money. But who knows.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

longstrangetrip wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

I dont know. jester...I think this has more to quality of prospects than money. But who knows.

Supposedly the deal fell through because the prospect was Nick Burdi and his medical was terrible, according to Ken Rosenthal.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

Supposedly the deal fell through because the prospect was Nick Burdi and his medical was terrible, according to Ken Rosenthal.

Do you buy that Jester? I don't because it was a few days ago that it was reported that Burdi was likely needing TJ surgery. If I know that I would hope the Braves would. Lol regardless I don't see how that makes sense.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:
jester1534 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

Do you buy that Jester? I don't because it was a few days ago that it was reported that Burdi was likely needing TJ surgery. If I know that I would hope the Braves would. Lol regardless I don't see how that makes sense.

I can see it but I have hard time believing it. If Burdi didn't get hurt he be pitching Ryan Presley spot right now. I know LST disagrees but I think this has more to do with Atlanta not picking up the check than anything else. Also if Burdi was the prospect I'm glad the trade fell through.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
jester1534 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

I can see it but I have hard time believing it. If Burdi didn't get hurt he be pitching Ryan Presley spot right now. I know LST disagrees but I think this has more to do with Atlanta not picking up the check than anything else. Also if Burdi was the prospect I'm glad the trade fell through.

I agree with you the way i see it none of it adds up. Burdi seems like a pretty good prospect to give up for a rent a pitcher and I can't think of too many teams that trade for injured pitchers. The deal falling through because of money doesn't make sense either. The Twins aren't cheap like they used to be. They don't just throw money around but yeah.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Okay...now the deal is done, and I'm pleased with it. The Twins get Garcia (and a throw-in catcher who can fill in for Garver in Rochester when he gets called up in September) for high-ceiling prospect Huascar Ynoa. This is a good deal for both teams. The Twins get a proven average starter who can replace Colon or Gibson, and the Braves (who were going to lose Garcia next year anyway) get a very unpolished but talented prospect. I had forgotten about Ynoa, but many fans were excited when we outbid other teams to sign him as a 16-year-old 2 years ago. He has a great arm, but as not been very successful in his 2+ years. I think this is a deal we had to do, and I'm glad the guy we're giving up hasn't looked very good early in his career...doesn't mean he won't be very good, but there was a lot of risk with him.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:Okay...now the deal is done, and I'm pleased with it. The Twins get Garcia (and a throw-in catcher who can fill in for Garver in Rochester when he gets called up in September) for high-ceiling prospect Huascar Ynoa. This is a good deal for both teams. The Twins get a proven average starter who can replace Colon or Gibson, and the Braves (who were going to lose Garcia next year anyway) get a very unpolished but talented prospect. I had forgotten about Ynoa, but many fans were excited when we outbid other teams to sign him as a 16-year-old 2 years ago. He has a great arm, but as not been very successful in his 2+ years. I think this is a deal we had to do, and I'm glad the guy we're giving up hasn't looked very good early in his career...doesn't mean he won't be very good, but there was a lot of risk with him.

I'm curious about what Jester's take is on this young kid.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Kinda surprising

https://twitter.com/rhettbollinger/status/889615437209587712

Rule 5 right-hander Justin Haley was outrighted and returned to the Red Sox. Clears 40-man spot for Recker.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Jester? Help us.