Twins in season moves thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Re: Twins in season moves thread

Post by Jester1534 »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:Monster, what makes the Milone move even odder is the fact that he was the only viable left-handed starting pitcher in the system. Managers are uncomfortable with an all-right handed rotation, and it spoke volumes when Mollie put Milone in the bullpen...and even more when he was cut from the team. That's why I think there has to be more to this than performance.

On the other hand, there was an alarming aspect to Milone this year...he was practically lights out first time through the lineup, but then would get shelled the second time around. More than any other pitcher on the roster, batters seemed to figure him out quickly. Look at these splits regarding oppenents' batting average and Tommy's pitch count.

1-15: .160
16-30: .286
31-45: .348
46-60: 462

That's not a pretty picture for a would-be starter, and perhaps had something to do with this odd move.

When I see this stat, I don't think "Lets waive this guy". He's still under team control, and he does have 15 good pitches in him. Move him to the pen. The bullpen is 12th in the AL in ERA, so there's room.

Questions: When they put those two on waivers, that is because they both are "out of options", right? Don't don't have to cut them ijf they clear waivers, do they?

I believe they have a week to clear waivers. If not picked by somebody they would be sent down to Triple A.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

Jester1534 wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:Monster, what makes the Milone move even odder is the fact that he was the only viable left-handed starting pitcher in the system. Managers are uncomfortable with an all-right handed rotation, and it spoke volumes when Mollie put Milone in the bullpen...and even more when he was cut from the team. That's why I think there has to be more to this than performance.

On the other hand, there was an alarming aspect to Milone this year...he was practically lights out first time through the lineup, but then would get shelled the second time around. More than any other pitcher on the roster, batters seemed to figure him out quickly. Look at these splits regarding oppenents' batting average and Tommy's pitch count.

1-15: .160
16-30: .286
31-45: .348
46-60: 462

That's not a pretty picture for a would-be starter, and perhaps had something to do with this odd move.

When I see this stat, I don't think "Lets waive this guy". He's still under team control, and he does have 15 good pitches in him. Move him to the pen. The bullpen is 12th in the AL in ERA, so there's room.

Questions: When they put those two on waivers, that is because they both are "out of options", right? Don't don't have to cut them ijf they clear waivers, do they?

I believe they have a week to clear waivers. If not picked by somebody they would be sent down to Triple A.

First of all, I appreciate the board's patience with me on this issue.

So if it is a week, do they players not practice? Practice with MIN? Practice with Rochester? Are they going to Rochester or Chattanooga? Are the Twins allowed to call up players to replace those two through the waiver process?

I have to say, I can't remember this happening on such a broad scale. In 1982, they started poorly, but they traded a bunch of guys rather than sending them down.
Monster

Post by Monster »

LST you got your wish Dozier is the batting order hitting 6th. Unfortunately it's not really because everyone is knocking the cover off the ball but it is the right move based on how everyone is hitting.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

monsterpile wrote:LST you got your wish Dozier is the batting order hitting 6th. Unfortunately it's not really because everyone is knocking the cover off the ball but it is the right move based on how everyone is hitting.

Yeah, I love Dozier, but it's the right move. Pitchers have figured out that he's still going to try to pull the ball even if it's on the outer edge of the plate. Until he learns to shoot the ball to right, I don't see him hitting much above .235.

Mollie has been a little slow to react, but I think he is starting to get his lineup right. Mauer and Nunez have to be the first two guys in the lineup...doesn't matter in which order...and Plouffe, Arcia, Park and Sano have to be somewhere in the middle of the lineup.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:LST you got your wish Dozier is the batting order hitting 6th. Unfortunately it's not really because everyone is knocking the cover off the ball but it is the right move based on how everyone is hitting.

Yeah, I love Dozier, but it's the right move. Pitchers have figured out that he's still going to try to pull the ball even if it's on the outer edge of the plate. Until he learns to shoot the ball to right, I don't see him hitting much above .235.

Mollie has been a little slow to react, but I think he is starting to get his lineup right. Mauer and Nunez have to be the first two guys in the lineup...doesn't matter in which order...and Plouffe, Arcia, Park and Sano have to be somewhere in the middle of the lineup.

Your prediction of Park hitting 40 HRs is starting to look pretty good. He is one of the positives of the season so far along with Mauer looking like Joe Mauer.

Sorry I should have posted my last post in the lineup thread.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

Your prediction of Park hitting 40 HRs is starting to look pretty good. He is one of the positives of the season so far along with Mauer looking like Joe Mauer.

I actually watched the game last night, and even though it was yet another huge disappointment, it was fun to see the power of Park and Sano...3 mammoth home runs between them, all over 450 feet. Park is on pace for 42 HR's now, and it's logical to think his pace could actually increase as he continues to adjust to ML pitching. The negative side of Park was on display last night too, as he struck out with runners on base to end the game.

Such a horrible start to the season has me emotionally checked out early. I'm going to enjoy the power show and continue to watch the development of our young arms in the minors. Other than that, it looks like a lost season.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

I actually watched the game last night, and even though it was yet another huge disappointment, it was fun to see the power of Park and Sano...3 mammoth home runs between them, all over 450 feet. Park is on pace for 42 HR's now, and it's logical to think his pace could actually increase as he continues to adjust to ML pitching. The negative side of Park was on display last night too, as he struck out with runners on base to end the game.

Such a horrible start to the season has me emotionally checked out early. I'm going to enjoy the power show and continue to watch the development of our young arms in the minors. Other than that, it looks like a lost season.

Yeah this Twins season is pretty much like being a Wolves fan...