Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:Returning to the idea of trading DLO, here's how things appear to be shaping up as the context for a DLO deal.

First, recent reports are almost uniformly anticipating that Brunson will sign with the Knicks. Those reports including reporting from the local Dallas paper. So I think these reports are pretty reliable. And it's not surprising. The fact that the Knicks gave up draft opportunities to create cap space is telling. Leon Rose isn't an idiot so he's not going to do what he did on draft night without a pretty good idea that he'll land Brunson. Moreover, Rose was Brunson's former agent. I don't believe for a second that Knicks officials haven't talked to Brunson or his agent. The Knicks should certainly be investigated for tampering if they end up signing Brunson. My take away for the Wolves is that they can scratch the Knicks off their list of potential suitors for DLO.

Second, it's been reported that John Wall will sign with the Clippers, another one of the few teams in the market for a starting PG. So the Wolves can cross the Clippers off their list as well.

Meanwhile I would expect both Brogdon and Dejounte Murray to end up traded to any remaining teams in search of an upgrade at the PG position. I would bet that one of those two players ends up with the Wizards. As a rebuilding team the Spurs won't need to backfill their PG position immediately, which means they'd have no interest in trading any assets for DLO. The Pacers clearly have Haliburton pegged as their PG as they continue their rebuild. In theory, the Mavs would need a PG replacement for Brunson, but in reality Luka is functionally their really PG. I see the Mavs signing Tyus Jones as a free agent to backfill behind Brunson.

Bottom line is that I just don't see a market for DLO this summer. It's not that DLO isn't a good, valuable PG. It's simply that the demand for a starting PG won't be there once the more coveted options are moved. Having said that, I actually think DLO is a better PG than Brogdon. But I'm not sure that view is shared by NBA front office executives around the League and, in any event, Brogdon's contract is probably more attractive than DLO's. So there you have it. The odds that the Wolves trade DLO this summer are slim and slim's out of town. :).

The Mavs could to some extent roll with what they have. Tim Hardaway jr has mostly been a pretty solid/good player for them although that was under Rick Carlisle. If he is healthy and plays well he gives them a player they didn't have for a significant chunk of last season. There are some other interesting FA options they could go for. What about a guy like Malik Monk if they just want a young 3 point shooter.

There could be a team out there that wants Russell that we don't know about. I'm with you that I don't see a path for dealing Russell though which is why I haven't really been in on dealing him.

I agree with you that Russell is a better PG than Brogdon. I think people might say and I wouldn't really disagree that Brogdon is a better player but I think Russell is a better PG and passer. The unfortunate thing about both guys is they have problems staying healthy.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

lipoli390 wrote:Cam - If Connelly called and asked you to recommend one more off-season move this summer, what would you recommend? If your choice was to sign a free agent big using some portion of the MLE, who would you tell Connelly to sign?

I still have interest in making a Malik Beasley for Harrison Barnes deal, and I remain intrigued by Jonathan Isaac as a buy-low option. I also think pursuing younger bigs on the market -- Isaiah Hartenstein, Nicolas Claxton, Drew Eubanks, and Jalen Smith -- could make a lot of sense, especially given the potentially favorable market conditions.

However, after re-signing Taurean Prince and drafting NBA-ready prospects in Walker Kessler and Wendell Moore Jr. in the first round, I think the Timberwolves should prioritize adding a veteran contributor on the interior without making a long-term commitment or sacrificing future assets. I think they need stability and consistency as well as another leader on the team next season.

With that said, I would suggest for Tim Connelly to give Serge Ibaka a long look in free agency. Ibaka is coming off of a season in which he played 16.2 MPG over 54 games, basically solidifying himself as nothing more than a rotation player moving forward. He's no longer the athlete or shot-blocker that he was in his earlier years with Oklahoma City, but at 33-years old he's still a viable big on both ends of the floor. He made 37.4-percent of his three-point attempts last year on decent volume (37-99 3PA) and rebounded an estimated 22.2-percent of available defensive rebounds when he was on the floor, both of which are still very good. He'll also be over a full year removed from the back surgery that he had last summer, which may have contributed to his underwhelming season in relation to how he performed the prior year. And lastly, I don't think Ibaka will cost much. I think he could be had for less than what Prince just signed for -- perhaps a two-year deal worth $11-million total with a team option on the second year. It's not sexy, but I think that would be an effective, low-risk addition.
worldK

Post by worldK »

How about Kevon Looney? He will be a solid option to have as a young veteran big who contributes to winning.

worldK wrote:How about Kevon Looney? He will be a solid option to have as a young veteran big who contributes to winning.

Looney would also be a good fit. I just don't see Golden State allowing him to walk. He's very much an unsung hero for the Warriors. I would imagine there will be mutual interest in getting a new deal done.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Camden wrote:
worldK wrote:How about Kevon Looney? He will be a solid option to have as a young veteran big who contributes to winning.

Looney would also be a good fit. I just don't see Golden State allowing him to walk. He's very much an unsung hero for the Warriors. I would imagine there will be mutual interest in getting a new deal done.

The warriors wants him back and I am pretty sure his preference is to stay but it will come down to money. He was a bargain at 5m a year. I think a short 2 year deal at mid level or 10m a year might interests him.

worldK wrote:
Camden wrote:

The warriors wants him back and I am pretty sure his preference is to stay but it will come down to money. He was a bargain at 5m a year. I think a short 2 year deal at mid level or 10m a year might interests him.

I think you've reasonably projected Looney's next salary, but I think Golden State would be more than willing to match any deal in that range in which case Looney would gladly return to the Warriors. He was a really big reason for them winning the championship this year.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Camden wrote:
worldK wrote:
Camden wrote:

I think you've reasonably projected Looney's next salary, but I think Golden State would be more than willing to match any deal in that range in which case Looney would gladly return to the Warriors. He was a really big reason for them winning the championship this year.

Warriors matching that amount is a possibility. I think its worth offering and maybe go a bit a higher and see how it goes. Looney is my 1st choice at the big that are available/gettable.

worldK wrote:
Camden wrote:
worldK wrote:
Camden wrote:

Warriors matching that amount is a possibility. I think its worth offering and maybe go a bit a higher and see how it goes. Looney is my 1st choice at the big that are available/gettable.

It's a fair position to take. Another issue would be that Minnesota can only offer a maximum of four-years, $44.5-million to any free agent using the mid-level exception. Golden State can actually outbid them if they chose to do so. They risk paying an even more ridiculous luxury tax, but their ownership appears willing to spend at all cost.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Camden wrote:
worldK wrote:
Camden wrote:
worldK wrote:
Camden wrote:

It's a fair position to take. Another issue would be that Minnesota can only offer a maximum of four-years, $44.5-million to any free agent using the mid-level exception. Golden State can actually outbid them if they chose to do so. They risk paying an even more ridiculous luxury tax, but their ownership appears willing to spend at all cost.

I will gladly let them match the contract and pay the taxes. They can't keep paying everyone and it is bound to hurt them at some point. Its worth a shot and a better option than Drummond, Nurk, Jalen Smith and hartenstein.

i will add that Looney is still very young and in his prime age. I also think he can do more on offense than what he has shown. There is some upside still in his game. Even if he sticks to his role as a plus defender and rebounder who sets great screens and do the dirty work, he is worth midlevel money.

The New York Knicks are expected to present Jalen Brunson a four-year offer in the vicinity of $110 million, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

- D'Angelo Russell signing an extension with the Minnesota Timberwolves this off-season already looked unlikely, but I'd say it's even less likely if that is what Jalen Brunson signs for.

- There's zero chance Russell and his camp would agree to anything less than what is going to be offered to Brunson.

- Brunson would reset the market for point guards below the top tier. This is essentially why I wanted Minnesota to try and get an extension done with Russell before it got to this point, however, that may not have been feasible depending on what was being offered on either side.