Wolves have just traded up to 6

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Wolves have just traded up to 6

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Herro to the Heat at 13 will prove to be one of the better value picks in this draft. Book it.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

KG4Ever wrote:Cleveland wants shooters: Garland and now Windler.

Cleveland's front office looks a lot smarter than Rosas. Rosas gave up Saric and #11 to draft a guy who shot 30.4% from behind the college arc and 70% from the free-throw line. NBADraftnet.com gave Culver's ballhandling a ratting of 7, which is a bit of a red flag for a SG prospect. I thought his handle was suspect in the games I saw him play. He looks relatively slow and mechanical. He's not explosive. And his 8'4.5 overhead reach isn't particularly impressive.

Rosas traded up for Darius Garland. Everyone knew it. Yet, apparently, Rosas didn't know for sure whether he could get Garland. That's really bad. Total amateur. This was a bad night for Rosas -- unless he does something smart to redeem himself tonight. But I don't see him redeeming himself tonight. And based on his amateurism tonight, I don't trust him to make good moves going forward.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

60WinTim wrote:https://theathletic.com/1038397/2019/06/20/vecenies-nba-draft-live-blog-instant-analysis-from-the-athletics-draft-expert/Vecenie

No. 6: TRADE TIME: The Suns trade No. 6 to the Minnesota Timberwolves for No. 11 and Dario Saric; The Timberwolves select Jarrett Culver: So, I'm not all that excited about this deal for the Suns. Sources told The Athletic that had they stayed at No. 6, Culver was the favorite to be the pick. In my opinion, I would rather have Culver than No. 11, plus one year of Dario Saric at a $3.4 million before having to make a restricted free agency decision on him and potentially pay him into eight figures per season. We'll see who the Suns pick and finish this out later, but I don't think the price tag here was prohibitive for Gersson Rosas to pay, and he moved up a tier on my draft board to fill a position of need for the Timberwolves.

Culver is a wing who can excel on both ends of the floor, something that the Wolves desperately need. He's also known as a tireless worker who consistently plays really hard, something that Wolves' fans will appreciate. On offense, he's a contested shot-maker and creator who isn't an elite athlete, but does have high-level feel and makes the right decisions consistently on the floor. Don't let the percentages scare you from distance; everyone expects him to develop into a high-level shooter from 3 and be the kind of spacing weapon that Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins need to operate in their best areas.

Defensively, Culver is skinny and needs to keep adding muscle, but he plays with effort and has tremendous hands and a tendency to disrupt the opposing team's action due to his great hand-eye coordination. Overall, this is a terrific fit for the Wolves, and I think a perfect move by Rosas in his first draft in charge.

So Culver beats out Okogie as the Wolves SG of the future? Compared to Okogie, Culver has significantly less length, far less athleticism, and substantially inferior 3-point and FT shooting stats in college. AS the #6 pick, Culver will cost more than a player taken at #11. Options at #11 included players with much better shooting stats, far more athleticism, length, etc. And Culver is redundant given the presence and talent of Okogie. This pick makes absolutely no sense unless Culver is traded.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

lipoli390 wrote:

Cleveland's front office looks a lot smarter than Rosas. Rosas gave up Saric and #11 to draft a guy who shot 30.4% from behind the college arc and 70% from the free-throw line. NBADraftnet.com gave Culver's ballhandling a ratting of 7, which is a bit of a red flag for a SG prospect. I thought his handle was suspect in the games I saw him play. He looks relatively slow and mechanical. He's not explosive. And his 8'4.5 overhead reach isn't particularly impressive.

Rosas traded up for Darius Garland. Everyone knew it. Yet, apparently, Rosas didn't know for sure whether he could get Garland. That's really bad. Total amateur. This was a bad night for Rosas -- unless he does something smart to redeem himself tonight. But I don't see him redeeming himself tonight. And based on his amateurism tonight, I don't trust him to make good moves going forward.

Definitely a poor first impression. I watched Culver quite a bit last year. I'm not sure he can be more than a 7th, 8th man in the league.

Off topic, but Cam Johnson going at 11 is the "WTF" pick of the night. That is a huge reach.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

lipoli390 wrote:

It was a gamble Lip that didn't pay off. But at least we got Culver and not Coby White.

Culver has a suspect handle thats for sure, but It was still good enough to get to the rim. Reminds me of Wiggins with his array of driving moves. Let just hope it develops better than Wiggin's handle has.

I'm not concerned about the 3pt shooting. He has good shooting mechanics and all the experts are saying a lot of his shots from behind the arc came late in the shot clock and often under double teams. He has the length to get shots up which is promosing.

I'm most excited about his high IQ and motor, work ethic and versatility. I think its a solid pick and it only really cost us one year of Saric who wasn't a good fit anyways.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:Off topic, but Cam Johnson going at 11 is the "WTF" pick of the night. That is a huge reach.

They had a weird bunch of moves today. I do like them getting Ty Jerome though.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Now lets just pray Claxton's is available at 43. Wishful thinking I reckon!

I'd trade a future second round pick if it meant landing Daniel Gafford in the second round.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

The Suns obviously valued Saric quite a bit. That makes me wonder. Could the Wolves have traded Saric, Teague and #11 to the Suns to clear space for D. Russell? Given that Rosas obviously didn't know for sure he could get Garland by trading up to #6, Rosas should have explored dealing Saric to the Suns for cap space to sign Russell. Maybe Rosas explored that deal, but I doubt it given what actually happened. Alas, we have another checkers player running our front office.