Around the NBA (non-Wolves talk)

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
AbeVigodaLive

Re: Around the NBA (non-Wolves talk)

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I find it amusing because we're worried about "the best" teams making the playoffs... even though more teams have better records than them than worse records.

These are middling teams... not the best teams. Not the teams with any real chance of a title. It's moving deck furniture.... and leaving scratch marks all over the deck in doing so.
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I find it amusing because we're worried about "the best" teams making the playoffs... even though more teams have better records than them than worse records.

These are middling teams... not the best teams. Not the teams with any real chance of a title. It's moving deck furniture.... and leaving scratch marks all over the deck in doing so.

I like this Abe and it made me chuckle a little bit in a good way.

Is the argument of seeding according to record so the best teams at the top regardless of Conference might face each other in the final playoff games more persuasive to you?
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:I find it amusing because we're worried about "the best" teams making the playoffs... even though more teams have better records than them than worse records.

I like this Abe and it made me chuckle a little bit in a good way.

Is the argument of seeding according to record so the best teams at the top regardless of Conference might face each other in the final playoff games more persuasive to you?

No. It's irrelevant.

Unless we're back to the "Everybody wins a trophy" mentality and giving out trophies for losing it in the final four or great 8 rounds. I don't think legit teams with legit championship hopes care about that.
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

My favorite prospect at pick 7 and virtually everyone else's most hated on this board Lauri Markkanen is balling out again and still continues to be on pace to shatter the rookie 3 point record, averaging 17 pts & 9 rebounds a game

I think Lip needs to join me in smugness as well as John Collins is is putting up 11 & 7 and 21.74 PER with less than 20 minutes per a game ;)
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

BloopOracle wrote:My favorite prospect at pick 7 and virtually everyone else's most hated on this board Lauri Markkanen is balling out again and still continues to be on pace to shatter the rookie 3 point record, averaging 17 pts & 9 rebounds a game

I think Lip needs to join me in smugness as well as John Collins is is putting up 11 & 7 and 21.74 PER with less than 20 minutes per a game ;)

It's the rebounding that is impressing me about Markkanen....However, let's see how things go after he finishes his first lap around the league and he gets more heavily scouted. Some rookies get off to hot starts, then once the opposition realize they need to pay attention to him, they can be easily contained. Or perhaps he just gets better and better....we will see.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

BloopOracle wrote:My favorite prospect at pick 7 and virtually everyone else's most hated on this board Lauri Markkanen is balling out again and still continues to be on pace to shatter the rookie 3 point record, averaging 17 pts & 9 rebounds a game

Bloop -- I would be happy to join you in smugness when it comes to John Collins. :) What we've seen so far supports my take on Collins. Unfortunately, my smugness takes a hit when it comes to Markkanen. He was not among my favorites. Yet, the evidence so far tells me I was wrong. I know Q suggests we should wait for Markkenan to start his second lap around the League. But it's rare for a rookie to start out the way he has and then fade significantly thereafter. Yes, his performance so far could be misleading, but I don't think so. I've changed my tune on him and think he's the real deal. So keep gloating, Boop! :)

Just to continue my own gloating. John Collins had 13 rebounds, 2 steals and 4 blocks in 28 minutes tonight. Note also that Mbah a Moute had 20 points tonight off the bench. I wanted to sign his this summer. He ended signing with the Rockets at the vet minimum.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

lipoli390 wrote:

Bloop -- I would be happy to join you in smugness when it comes to John Collins. :) What we've seen so far supports my take on Collins. Unfortunately, my smugness takes a hit when it comes to Markkanen. He was not among my favorites. Yet, the evidence so far tells me I was wrong. I know Q suggests we should wait for Markkenan to start his second lap around the League. But it's rare for a rookie to start out the way he has and then fade significantly thereafter. Yes, his performance so far could be misleading, but I don't think so. I've changed my tune on him and think he's the real deal. So keep gloating, Boop! :)

Just to continue my own gloating. John Collins had 13 rebounds, 2 steals and 4 blocks in 28 minutes tonight. Note also that Mbah a Moute had 20 points tonight off the bench. I wanted to sign his this summer. He ended signing with the Rockets at the vet minimum.

This class in terms of the wolves is going to be hard to judge for a couple of years. Like you said you loved John Collins Lip but he would not be in the rotation for the wolves this year. Patton getting hurt sucks but we will probably will not see any of Patton until the 19-20 season when Taj becomes a free agent (assuming we resign Belly this offseason). I really don't see how any rookie would have cracked the rotation.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

kekgeek1 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

This class in terms of the wolves is going to be hard to judge for a couple of years. Like you said you loved John Collins Lip but he would not be in the rotation for the wolves this year. Patton getting hurt sucks but we will probably will not see any of Patton until the 19-20 season when Taj becomes a free agent (assuming we resign Belly this offseason). I really don't see how any rookie would have cracked the rotation.

I agree with you, kek. I'm just having some fun. However, if Gorgui or Taj were to go down for any length of time, then I could see Collins filling in as part of the rotation and making a positive contribution. We really don't know about Patton because of his unfortunate foot injury. I think he could be very good down the road, but I also think he's behind Collins developmentally. Taking Collins with the pick we got from the Bulls seemed to me like the obviously correct pick at the time. But as you said, it will be a couple years before I can gloat for real. :)
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

The Spurs just beat the Hornets and the Thunder are winning big against the Celtics. I was really counting on the Celtics beating the Thunder in Boston tonight. Well, I suppose they could still come back and win. Let's hope the Raptors hang on to their 4th quarter lead over the Jazz and that the Heat can come from behind and beat the Nuggets.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

lipoli390 wrote:The Spurs just beat the Hornets and the Thunder are winning big against the Celtics. I was really counting on the Celtics beating the Thunder in Boston tonight. Well, I suppose they could still come back and win. Let's hope the Raptors hang on to their 4th quarter lead over the Jazz and that the Heat can come from behind and beat the Nuggets.

There is some good news in that Phoenix lost to the Knicks tonight. Some folks may have written them off already, but they had won 4 straight after firing Earl Watson and were getting themselves back into the Western Conference mix.

Also, Miami making a furious run at Denver to take a slight lead late! That would be a big loss for Denver from a Minnesota perspective. Portland, Denver, Utah, Memphis, and Clippers....those are the teams that keep me awake at night!