Wolves traded Kat

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Carlos Danger

Re: Wolves traded Kat

Post by Carlos Danger »

I have been consistent over the last couple years in stating that I was open to trading KAT. The caveat I always tossed in was "for the right price" aka a Reverse Rudy deal of players/picks. So without knowing much about the two guys we are getting, I looked at last year and specifically VORP.

2.3 VORP was what KAT accumulated over 62 games.
3.2 VORP was what DiVincenzo accumulated over 81 games
1.6 VORP was what Randle put up over 46 games.

Sooo...we are actually getting back two guys who (combined) should put up more VORP to KAT assuming similar games played (based on last season). Plus a draft pick. IDK. I know it might seem like NY got the best piece, but we'll see how everything fits for both teams.

It's certainly not a reverse Rudy haul. I was definitely hoping for better. But...I am willing to see how this plays out. It's possible this is one of several deals that might happen this year to reshape the team (and financial picture). One (or both) of these guys we are getting back could be spun off again - who knows.

The Wolves played pretty well without KAT last year while he was out. I'll be curious to see how they proceed in the Post KAT era. Let's see if this is it for the moves. I'm just going to wait on all of this before getting too excited one way or the other.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Vegas thought the trade improved the wolves. Lined move from 11-1 to 10-1
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

Donte made the 3rd most 3’s in the NBA last year and had the most catch and shoot. I think we’re undervaluing his importance in this trade.
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

Jace Frederick posted:

Corner 3s last season

Julius Randle (46 games): 19 for 37

KAT (62 games): 12 for 29
Monster

Post by Monster »

Someone pointed out that Finch was on the Pelicans coaching staff when Randle was with the Pelicans. Dell Demps was the GM back then. There is a little familiarity with Randle.
Monster

Post by Monster »

There is a lot of talk about spacing with Gobert and Randle. Well it's not like Randle was playing with floor spacers at C the last couple years with the Knicks. Hartenstien made 9 threes in 2 seasons with the Knicks. Mitchell Robinson has attempted 1 three in his regular season career. Meanwhile Gobert for all his awkwardness is more of a threat to put the ball in the basket than either guy especially Robinson. Randle might have a good time throwing the ball to Gobert at times. He is likely gonna play with Naz some and that could be interesting offensively.

Again do I think Randle is gonna stay with the Wolves long term? No I don't, but while he is here I think he can be a pretty nice player. Imagine if he gets off to a hot start especially shooting the 3, the Wolves could end up selling high on him and get something worthwhile back. There are teams that are gonna want Randle and could use him. It might be interesting for Miller to be able to see another big up close every day that handles the ball and makes some plays.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Monster wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:22 am There is a lot of talk about spacing with Gobert and Randle. Well it's not like Randle was playing with floor spacers at C the last couple years with the Knicks. Hartenstien made 9 threes in 2 seasons with the Knicks. Mitchell Robinson has attempted 1 three in his regular season career. Meanwhile Gobert for all his awkwardness is more of a threat to put the ball in the basket than either guy especially Robinson. Randle might have a good time throwing the ball to Gobert at times. He is likely gonna play with Naz some and that could be interesting offensively.

Again do I think Randle is gonna stay with the Wolves long term? No I don't, but while he is here I think he can be a pretty nice player. Imagine if he gets off to a hot start especially shooting the 3, the Wolves could end up selling high on him and get something worthwhile back. There are teams that are gonna want Randle and could use him. It might be interesting for Miller to be able to see another big up close every day that handles the ball and makes some plays.
counterpoint: nobody ever trades someone after a hot start. If he's off to a hot start, they're riding that wave.
Monster

Post by Monster »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:44 am
Monster wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:22 am There is a lot of talk about spacing with Gobert and Randle. Well it's not like Randle was playing with floor spacers at C the last couple years with the Knicks. Hartenstien made 9 threes in 2 seasons with the Knicks. Mitchell Robinson has attempted 1 three in his regular season career. Meanwhile Gobert for all his awkwardness is more of a threat to put the ball in the basket than either guy especially Robinson. Randle might have a good time throwing the ball to Gobert at times. He is likely gonna play with Naz some and that could be interesting offensively.

counterpoint: nobody ever trades someone after a hot start. If he's off to a hot start, they're riding that wave.
Idk Russell was having a career shooting season when the Wolves dealt him. I see some similarities to their situations but there are key differences. Of course it also depends on how the team is playing with Randle playing well too. Randle's contract situation and likely resigning Naz just makes too much sense that the Wolves will be open to offers for him. If Randle plays well the offers will be better.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

One thing I disagree with KG on is TC. Behind Ant I think he's the best asset we have. I listened to a lot of radio this morning and no one is saying the Wolves got fleeced. In fact most are saying we came out of this pretty well for a lot of reasons. Financial flexibility, DDV's value, and KAT's durability among them. Hang in there with TC, he's extremely smart and I'm sure has a plan.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:10 pm One thing I disagree with KG on is TC. Behind Ant I think he's the best asset we have. I listened to a lot of radio this morning and no one is saying the Wolves got fleeced. In fact most are saying we came out of this pretty well for a lot of reasons. Financial flexibility, DDV's value, and KAT's durability among them. Hang in there with TC, he's extremely smart and I'm sure has a plan.
Yep, I think they'll be fine so long as TC doesn't bolt this offseason. My biggest concern would be Glen keeping control of the team, TC understandably leaving, and Glen hiring a bum to replace him.